PDA

View Full Version : removing the keeper pin for the trigger pin

ORSalesRep
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey guys,

I have had success doing a detailed stripping of the slide of my P9 and reassembling it no problems. My question is, Has anyone completely disassemble the frame and reassembled with success. If so, how does one remove the keeper pin for the trigger pin?

Bawanna
05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey guys,

I have had success doing a detailed stripping of the slide of my P9 and reassembling it no problems. My question is, Has anyone completely disassemble the frame and reassembled with success. If so, how does one remove the keeper pin for the trigger pin?

I don't have a P series yet, hoping to in a few days but if it were mine I'd stick to the old if it ain't broke don't try to fix it creedo. Some of the attaching screws going into poly with no metal or anything substantial I'm thinking you could cause yourself alot of grief. Not questioning your ability in any way just something ain't made to be took apart much.
If somethings broke, by all means dig in and learn..................

jocko
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

that lower alone, there is absolutely zero need to take that lower apart, and that trigger pin once removed can cause big time issues getting re installed correctly. U can spray clean every part of that lower and oil the same way.

Go take your car engine apart, personally u will have better luck getting it back together. There is nothing in the lower that is going to accumulate any crude that a spray cleaner cannot cure, Not sure with a totaly gummed slide, sometimes it needs to be totally stripped, although, once cleaned also, needs no dissasembly after that. Just spray clean the striker channel with that little clean out hole on the bottom of the slide. Strip one or two of the small torx screws and u just bought urself a new lower.

and oh yes I am sure there are many who do tear the entire lower apart and get it back together ok, also. I am just giving you my opinion based on 28.900 rounds out of my PM9 and never touching the lower like you want to do... I tend to live by the saying,,"If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

paintwerk
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I could see why someone might want to take the frame apart, for example to polish or coat the trigger etc.

I dont have any reason to take my frame apart, but I have contemplated how anyone would even go about getting that pin out if some type of service was required etc...

Only way I could figure is some type of dental pick, tiny screwdriver, or something to catch and lift/pry out that keeper pin. I think it would be a real tedious battle to get it out and real easy to mess up that hole in the frame that it goes into.

So I have to agree with the other fellas on this one..

However if you do decide to take on the removal of that pin, Id like to see how you go about doing it. So be sure to take some pictures and keep us updated.

jlottmc
05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
I have to agree leave it alone. But should you do it and get it back together I'd love to know how.

ORSalesRep
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I have to agree leave it alone. But should you do it and get it back together I'd love to know how.

Sounds like you guys are challenging me!!! LOL! I am not that brave to take you up on it though. At least not yet. I like the advise to leave it alone and the info that nothing can get too dirty in the frame. For now that's my story and I am sticking to it. My initial interest was so that I could completely remove the trigger bar and other components so that I could do a more comprehensive mirror finish with the dremel, felt wheel and hard metal polish to minimize the spots where there is friction of two metal parts rubbing against one another.

Bawanna
05-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Sounds like you guys are challenging me!!! LOL! I am not that brave to take you up on it though. At least not yet. I like the advise to leave it alone and the info that nothing can get too dirty in the frame. For now that's my story and I am sticking to it. My initial interest was so that I could completely remove the trigger bar and other components so that I could do a more comprehensive mirror finish with the dremel, felt wheel and hard metal polish to minimize the spots where there is friction of two metal parts rubbing against one another.

I for one am not challenging you. I gave up on the double dog dare stuff way back in my youth. For what it's worth, everytime you pull the trigger those parts you want to polish are working against each other. Just keep pulling that trigger until you get just the feel you like and then call it a day.
That's what I would do. Just not worth messing that frame up. I do kind of understand you desire to polish and such but to me just not worth it.

jocko
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I could see why someone might want to take the frame apart, for example to polish or coat the trigger etc.

I dont have any reason to take my frame apart, but I have contemplated how anyone would even go about getting that pin out if some type of service was required etc...

Only way I could figure is some type of dental pick, tiny screwdriver, or something to catch and lift/pry out that keeper pin. I think it would be a real tedious battle to get it out and real easy to mess up that hole in the frame that it goes into.

So I have to agree with the other fellas on this one..

However if you do decide to take on the removal of that pin, Id like to see how you go about doing it. So be sure to take some pictures and keep us updated.

that keeper pin once in place , NEVER comes out. NEVER. The trigger pin just basically forces itself past that keeper pin, there fore making a very tight locking set up.. Normally when one has a trigger pin that seems to be traveling out of the frame, it is because the keeper pin has backed out some (which it is not suppsoed to do) or the trigger pin is a tad under sized and needs to be replaced. If u notice the trigger pin only goes in one way and on the right side all the time. I good flat punch a tad smaller than the trigger pin and placed on the left side and then a good bang with a hammer and the trigger pin will jump right past that keeper pin, but the more one messes in that area, the more problems I think your gonna encounter down the road. If you gotta polish the trigger do it on the gun with some fine paper. It can be done that way and alot less head aches to.

If the keeper pin ever backs out, just take a very small punch and drive it back in. It should stay..

jocko
05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I for one am not challenging you. I gave up on the double dog dare stuff way back in my youth. For what it's worth, everytime you pull the trigger those parts you want to polish are working against each other. Just keep pulling that trigger until you get just the feel you like and then call it a day.
That's what I would do. Just not worth messing that frame up. I do kind of understand you desire to polish and such but to me just not worth it.

one can make the kahr trigger system any smoother and ur certainly right bawanna, the more your work the trigger (the bang thing) the smoother it will get anyways without this polishing stuff. The trigger system on kahrs is the simpliest you willever see, therefore that is why they are so so smooth out of the box.

jocko
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM

had my PM9 custom worked by Cylinder and Slide (which by the way kahr recommends) they screwed up my trigger system so bad by improperly putting it back together, that I had to send it back TWICE to them to get it right. The first time back, they I really think didn't have a clue as to what they had done wrong and it came back the same way it went in. after talking to Bill Laughride on the phone about my displeasure in paying over a grand for his work and getting basicaly sh-t back from them. He personally worked on the gun and even called me to tell me that they had indeed put the gun back together wrong.
They might do great work but I would be hard pressed to recommend them to work on a kahr, for part of my package was a trigger job and it was no smoother than when I sent it in and that is the honest truth. oh well such is life.