PDA

View Full Version : Kahrs well suited to IWB

at_liberty
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I saw a reference to a Kahr being well suited to IWB carry because of being slim. The facts are that Kahrs use 1911 holster molds. I have both guns and find the Kahr sloppy and the 1911 perfect (in the same holster). There are not, in fact, holsters specific for Kahr pistols. I have a number bought as Kahr holsters, all open ended, and my 1911s fit in all of them.

So, IWB, OWB, etc. makes no difference really. What makes a difference is the thickness and length of the grip, not the part that goes in the holster, inside or outside of the waistband. It is the P series that offers a real advantage for concealment.

Now, there is the factor of IWB holding a grip a bit tighter to the body, so IWB on a slim polymer grip could represent an especially close-to-the-body way of carrying, the least likely to "print". My honkin' big ole T40 however, is not any better off IWB or OWB. It's a hog either way, only due to the grip, really. We need to talk about that ratio of grip length to barrel length.

Bawanna
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The ankle holster I carry my K40 in fits my officers model 1911 and the K40 perfectly. It will also hold any 1911 but the barrel sticks out the bottom. I don't think barrel length is a factor for IWB as it is covered even if it hangs half way to your knees, No good for sitting. The grip length is far more important and hence the shorter the grip the better. Bobtailing or rounding the lower back part of the grip helps alleviate that print point. An officers frame obviously hides better than a full size or commander. A forward cant holster helps a bit although I personally prefer straight up.

Moto_joe
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I LOVE my P40 for IWB. I like it a lot better than my MillPro, and better than my .38spl.

I have it in an old "GunMate" IWB clipon holster. It is similar to the cheap uncle mikes, but thinner.

With an undershirt between it and my skin, it is perfect. Love it.

jfrey
05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Being slightly thicker around the middle, I don't like IWB carry. I carry my CW9 in a Tagua Quickdraw OWB and it is just as flat and close to the body as IWB and to me a lot more comfortable. I don't have to buy my pants larger either.

Moto_joe
05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I am fairly fit, athletic build, and live in GA (t shirt and shorts country) so I need all I can to help conceal. I go OWB in the colder months. But summer almost demands IWB

jlottmc
05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't like to play peek-a-boo with my weapon. I carry ALL of mine IWB to include my big GP100.

j.neal
05-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Ihave found that crossbreed maks exellant holsters for Kahr! If the fit is a little loose,you can heat it w/ a blow dryer(not to much!) and press into the triger housing.( unload first!)

bps3040
05-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Ihave found that crossbreed maks exellant holsters for Kahr! If the fit is a little loose,you can heat it w/ a blow dryer(not to much!) and press into the triger housing.( unload first!)

+1, I purchased a Crossbreed Minituck for mine and it is very comfy....only a couple days so far, but I have had Crossbreed Supertuck for a couple years and have found it to be a great holster.

I agree, the grip length and thickness are the issues. That is one of the reasons for me to purchase the PM9. I wanted a nice single stack with a short grip. I wear a lot of shorts and T-shirts, so IWB or pocket carry are the ways I like to carry