PDA

View Full Version : Thompson 1911TCA Sights

vince52
11-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Just received my Thompson 1911TCA and already I'm looking to change things. (What's wrong with me? :D).
First thing out of the box was the rattle test - Shook it so hard the only rattle I heard were the bones in my hand.
This is one tight gun.
Any way, I would like to go with an adjustable rear sight. Nothing fancy just elevation and windage.
Jay at Kahr told me that the dovetail cuts on the gun were proprietary and that aftermarket sights won't fit. The rear dovetail looks suspiciously like a Kimber 1911 cut and the sight is identical.
But before I drop the cash on an experimental venture I'd like to hear from some of you who might know.
Thanks, and remember - Come to the dark side! ... We have COOKIES!
Vince.

Bawanna
11-13-2013, 09:16 AM
I don't have a solid answer for you but since I've been hankering for one of those I'll see if I can find out.

I usually go with what Jay says but I'm questioning this one. Proprietary doesn't make good sense to me on a production gun.

Bawanna
11-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Well my contact says that Jay is correct and that Kimber sights will not fit. Nothing more. If I was doing an adjustable sight I'd do a meltdown to get it lower which would require milling anyhow.

Sure seems like some sight would be a close fit. Guess I'll have to wait till I get my own to try and figure it out.

xr1200guy
11-13-2013, 09:47 PM
hmm I have a 1911tc.#00228 I think.looking at it its a kimber cut but ive been too afraid to order sights and then send them back etc.i've asked a couple times at different sites.i can't believe Thompson actually uses a special cut,and has special sights made just for them,butttt that's just me.

vince52
11-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the response Bawanna. I might just look for a cheap sight on the net and investigate the possibilities.

-vince-

vince52
11-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I've investigated the different sights out there and found that Kimber sights cut are a bit different. So I think I'm gonna try to find something close to Kimber but cheap for experimenting. Who knows, maybe I'll find something that can be fitted with basic gunsmith tools. For example - A chisel and a sledge hammer. ;~)

xr1200guy
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
like how kimber is different?theres only 2 front sight cuts and its not the other one gotta be kimber.but on a side note for the money,with checkering and stuff the 1911 tc kicks ass.

jeepster09
12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I would find a sight I like that uses a slightly larger dovetail and have gun machined to fit. Is the Kimber a little bigger? If so once you are done you will have many options. I have done this on a few Para Ordnances.

http://www.ahlmans.com/