PDA

View Full Version : Powder Storage Boxes?

garyb
11-19-2013, 06:49 AM
I am getting ready to build a powder storage box now that I have a good back up supply. I am thinking safety and convenience. I have space under my reloading bench that will work and I can build a removeable box (perhaps on wheels) so the box can be pulled out if there is a fire, but with a door on the front that can be opened to easily access my powder supply.
It will fit the space where my green tumbler is located in this picture.

I spoke to my son-in-law who is a fireman and asked about the best construction and storage of powder. He looked into this and advised me to make it portable. Make the door so it closes but is not "latched" closed. Build it out of wood, but cover it with sheet rock as a fire/heat barrier. He stated that in the event of a fire, you want to be able to permit removal of the powder storage box and if it can not be removed, you want the powder to burn off like a flare, not be in a combustible environment like a bomb. Therefore, don't seal the powder in a tight, combustible container. Wood and sheet rock are ideal materials. He said not to line the box on the inside with anything that could fragment. (I read where one guy was going to use slate...but that is a very bad idea.) He advised me to separate the powder containers as best as possible on the inside of the box, using wood or sheet rock dividers. Ideally one powder container burning off should not set off another container. They MAY then burn off individually without setting off the entire batch....but obviously that situation is hard to control....just do what you can. He also advised me NOT to store black powder with smokeless powder. Store them in separate powder boxes due to the nature of their rate of ignition and burn...but I can not remember exactly what he said about that right now....one being quicker to ignite than another.

Anyone on the forum have a powder storage container or built one? If so, please post pics and ideas or suggestions. Thanks a bunch. This will be a winter project for me. Sorry about my pic being turned sideways. I could not figure out how to fix it.

hardluk1
11-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Good to bring this subject up. Gives me another project to deal with. Found a phot of a box , discard the lock and add x board sheet rock as a liner to the ply wood and it could be good for a couple 8lb and 4lb containers.
http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/31/01/57/15785.jpg

OldLincoln
11-20-2013, 09:58 AM
This thread (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4826) is my saga of building an inside powder storage box that holds 4 1lb cans. It's but a miniature model of what you need but the thinking part is good. All overlapping seams to prevent burn through, concrete sheets are fireproof, sides maintain pressure supporting roof, etc. It is heavy for such a small box and if I had a fire it would be low on my priority list as I believe it would flare in an already hot fire.

Ikeo74
11-20-2013, 10:52 AM
I set my powder on a shelf above my workbench. I works for me as I plan on saving my own ass first, in case of fire.

Tilos
11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I worked for a company that made stuff that could go boom:o
Both the roof and walls had weaker panels that would vent an explosion.
Smokeless powder is no where near as explosive as black powder and I'd never store the 2 together.
I'd probably build a weak side or top in a powder storage box, for pressure to vent should it be needed.
jmo

garyb
11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
From some of the things posted so far...I agree that a storage box is unnecessary, other than to create a place to store my powder that is more conveniently consolidated. I don't have 20 lbs of smokeless, so a box is not necessary. But I do have enough that I can not sit the powder on my bench or on a shelf. I do have the space below my loading bench that could work well for this purpose. Right now the powder is in cardboard boxes, in a closet next to my loading bench and the closet is jam packed. I simply need to free up some space in that closet and relocate the powder. I agree that allowing the storage box to vent is necessary and having a door that is not latched is a way to do so. Handles will allow the box to be removed, if this is even possible in the event of a fire. Anyways...Thanks for your comments and pics.
Appreciated.

Tilos
11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh, wait, I forgot to mention, I keep my powder in an old plastic Coleman cooler that has handles, and is light enough to move around/carried off if needed.
You might want to consider buying something cheap, like a 2 drawer file cabinet and just covering it with sheet rock to fire proof it somewhat.

muggsy
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Gary, there is nothing in your home worth dying for except possibly your wife and kids. I store my powder in an old metal three shelf cabinet that hangs on the wall in my basement. The previous owner had thrown it out in the trash. If the house catches fire get the heck out and let the powder burn.

garyb
11-22-2013, 05:23 AM
Gary, there is nothing in your home worth dying for except possibly your wife and kids. I store my powder in an old metal three shelf cabinet that hangs on the wall in my basement. The previous owner had thrown it out in the trash. If the house catches fire get the heck out and let the powder burn.

I totally agree. When I said removed "if possible" it was more from the fire department's perspective. My son in law is a fireman and he told me that if they were told there was powder and they could get it out, they would try. He told me to construct handles and wheels if possible, so it could be dragged or carried out quickly, as another way to help keep the fire from getting worse. Having heard that from a first responder trained to deal with a disaster like this, I figured I would take the advice. He suggested against locking, securing or closing the powder up in anything that could go kaboom and worsen the situation. The initiative is mainly to move it from the crowded closet to free up some space in there and create a better environment for this powder that makes a little more sense for storage. Small project. Just looking for any good - great ideas out there that could come out before I do what I have in mind.

Tilos
11-22-2013, 01:59 PM
You're welcome;)

:o oh wait, I thought you were responding to actual imput to your question and not just the naysayers.

Explaining/defending your question will not get any helpful information from those types:blah:.
jmo

garyb
11-23-2013, 06:20 AM
???? Not sure what the point was, but yes, thanks.
Not really defending anything, as much as kind of wrapping it up. I believe I gleaned the info I was looking for and I always expect a wide array of responses on the issue.....some being helpful and some being jokes or POOPOOing the issue. It seems to always be necessary to filter through the information and responses to figure it all out. I guess that's what makes the forum fun to take part in. I was hoping to see more pics of how others store quantities of powder, some powder storage boxes, etc... but I am comfortable with what I need to do now. It's all cool. Thanks again.

newCW45guy
12-31-2013, 07:08 PM
A fire is unlikely to start in your reloading area... IMO the best you could do would be double the drywall thickness and add a fire rated door to protect from outside flames.

If you have a large amount of powder you could add a blow out panel but that takes some serious investigation as to how-to.

A fire I once witnessed had an O2 tank in a bedroom... owner notified them and first thing they did before they fought the basement fire was breech the bedroom wall to remove it. That tank presented more hazard than smokeless powder.

Bawanna
12-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Here's my box under the bench. It was not purpose built but it works. My grandfather actually built long long ago. I added the wheels so I could pull it out and access. I leave the buckles that hold the lid on unlatched after reading this thread.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN4614_zps23773e94.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN4614_zps23773e94.jpg.html)

With the lid off

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN4615_zpsdefb96a0.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN4615_zpsdefb96a0.jpg.html)

This little guy is a mild concern but it's still sealed/unopened and should be ok.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN4617_zpsbcd2caf8.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN4617_zpsbcd2caf8.jpg.html)