PDA

View Full Version : Finally jumped into the pool!

AJBert
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Well, kinda. Bought a Hornady Classis Lock and Load Kit today! Wanted to get into the game last year but events across the nation kind of put that on hold. Best part, I got the Hornady Sonic Cleaner for a whopping .99 cents at Cabela's.

I know I've got some other tools to buy, including components, but I don't plan on setting it up until sometime next year when we move and we'll have the space for me to start another hobby.

And for some crazy reason, the wife agrees with me that this will save us money over the years?!? I must have pulled this off just about perfect!

First round up will be .41 mags. My brother, and me, is interested in .270 Win. I've got a few other calibers on the horizon to boot! Now on to more research and collecting of components and tools!

downtownv
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Here's a very good way to see what a round costs to make!

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

You're Welcome

The Faux King
12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
And for some crazy reason, the wife agrees with me that this will save us money over the years?!? I must have pulled this off just about perfect!

This line and your avatar go hand in hand, haha!

Congrats on the new journey -- I hope to embark on one of the same one of these days, probably not soon enough!

otium
12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Congrats. Now you have started on the never ending quest for components.

It can save money and if you continue to shoot at the same rate you do now it won't be long before you ROI will be make up for the initial outlay.

If it works out for you like it did for me, I just end up shooting more, so the real savings for me is probably closer to nil, but the smile factor is higher. Just don't mention that part of the equation.

Bawanna
12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
The 41 mag is an excellent caliber to start on too. That or 44 or 38 etc.

It's rimmed, it's big, it's straight walled, doesn't get any easier.

Give you a good chance to see what needs to happen and how it happens.

Easy to see what your doing. Easy to check powder charges visually, basically get the hang of it.

The 270 will be a little more challenging, not tough, a few more steps but you'll get it easy enough.

mr surveyor
12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
The 41 mag is an excellent caliber to start on too. That or 44 or 38 etc.

It's rimmed, it's big, it's straight walled, doesn't get any easier.

Give you a good chance to see what needs to happen and how it happens.

Easy to see what your doing. Easy to check powder charges visually, basically get the hang of it.

The 270 will be a little more challenging, not tough, a few more steps but you'll get it easy enough.

I'll call you on those calibers and raise you the .357 mag and .45 acp. I only took up reloading because I loved the .357 mag, and I can load with cast boolits for about 8 bucks a box (rather than minimum $18 for lesser quality factory range loads. Then along came a .44 mag revolver and a set of dies, but I can load them for about 12 bucks a box for rock plinkers where the factory cheap stuff is near $30 a box. The next big savings for me is .45 acp, then .38 spl (I do love loading them button nosed wad cutters). Most recently (January) added .30-30 win dies and have become addicted to perfecting my loads for that .... although not a huge cost difference (considering components), I've almost achieved the same accuracy I was getting from factory ammo with about 200 fps more velocity.

I would have never started reloading for 9 mm or .40 cal, as the off the shelf stuff (when you could find it) compared to cost of components just didn't add up to a cost savings, but the more expensive "big bores" made it much more attractive.. It's certainly not all about saving money .... at least not entirely, but the flexibility you have in building what you want, when you want, given you've set back a good variety of components along the way.

As for the .41 mag ..... I've been kinda lusting for one for a couple of years, and realize I want it just so I can reload for it and "save a bunch of money" :)

JD

garyb
12-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Well, kinda. Bought a Hornady Classis Lock and Load Kit today! Wanted to get into the game last year but events across the nation kind of put that on hold. Best part, I got the Hornady Sonic Cleaner for a whopping .99 cents at Cabela's.

I know I've got some other tools to buy, including components, but I don't plan on setting it up until sometime next year when we move and we'll have the space for me to start another hobby.

First round up will be .41 mags. My brother, and me, is interested in .270 Win. I've got a few other calibers on the horizon to boot! Now on to more research and collecting of components and tools!

You will enjoy the process as well as what you produce. Good luck.

AJBert
12-04-2013, 07:34 PM
I kind of knowingly didn't tell the whole truth to the wife about the saving money part. I did let her know how much a box of ammo tends to cost and how much reloading will save on that one particular box.

I didn't quite tell her that it will allow me to shoot MUCH more, possibly to the point where we won't save a penny but actually costing more per outing than it used to.

I don't think I technically "lied".

And I did tell her this kit doesn't have everything one will ever need. That I would have to buy other items plus the components. I just wished I had the space to set everything up and get started.

I "might" down the road get a progressive press, mainly for .45 ACP. The tommy gun is a very hungry critter and everyone I know wants to put a bit of lead down range with it.

As far as what I'm planning on reloading once I get started will be .41 mag, .44 mag, .270 Win, and .25-06. Might even get into .30-30 and .32 Win Special and maybe even .40. If my wife ever lets me get her that LCR in .357 mag then I'll take up .38 Special and .357 mag.

Lot of dies, bushings and components in my near future! Might could be I didn't quite tell her how much all of that will cost. I'm really looking to spend many cold winter days/nights enjoying this new hobby!

garyb
12-05-2013, 06:19 AM
I started out reloading the ammo that I will be shooting the most and that was for IDPA with my .40. I pretty much leave my LNL AP set up for that, but I do have a set of dies set up for the 380 too. What's nice about the LNL is that you can quickly change out the dies in a way that they will remain set up for you when you put them back in the die. I can switch from 40 to 380 and back very quickly with the quick change die locks. I really like that feature. Pop out the dies, insert the new cal dies and adjust your powder measure. It is that simple. Loading 100 or 200 rounds for the range, I don't see how an AP press can be beat. It is simple and quick.

On the other hand, for loading rifle ammo, I believe the single stage may be the better option. Rifle requires some added steps and is a bit more complicated than most handgun ammo. Single stage is "probably" more precise. However, I don't see why an AP press can not be used just like a single stage press in a very selective and precise manner...but I have not tried this yet. I have not reloaded for rifle, because I don't shoot enough to justify it. Mostly muzzleloading and shotgun sabots used in my neck of the woods.

I am thinking that it is probably good to have both...the AP and single stage presses, as each serves a different type of loading...speed for handguns and precision for rifles. Now you can go back to your wife and let her know that you might have messed up a little and will need an AP press for the handguns....haha. Just trying to help you out.

You are going to really enjoy this. Better get planning your bench. Good luck.

AJBert
12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm going to see if my wood tool bench will do the job. The wife got me a new metal roller that is much nicer than the wooden one, bigger drawers and more capacity. I'll have to figure out where to mount the press but I think it'll be doable.

If it doesn't work I've pretty much have the design for a reloading bench in my head that I'll build.

garyb
12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Heavy stable benches are better. You want No shakes or rattles. JMO.

garyb
12-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Heavy, solid, stable benches work best. Don't want any shakes or rattles. I built mine out of 4X4's for legs and 2X8 and 2X10's...glued, bolted and screwed. It does not move.

Sorry for the double post. It looked like the first one locked up and did not go through...but I was wrong (again and again and again). Just ask my wife.

AIRret
12-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Congrats. Now you have started on the never ending quest for components.

It can save money and if you continue to shoot at the same rate you do now it won't be long before you ROI will be make up for the initial outlay.

If it works out for you like it did for me, I just end up shooting more, so the real savings for me is probably closer to nil, but the smile factor is higher. Just don't mention that part of the equation.

+1!!!!!

Good luck and have fun, just don't try to load too fast.
Safety, and a great product come first!

AJBert
12-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I figure my first 50 rounds will take about 18 hours, just to ensure everything is right. After that I plan to speed up to 50 rounds every 12 hours!

mr surveyor
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
one really good thing about a single stage press is you can "stage" your loading. If you only have a limited amount of time to devote, you can put your sizing die in and just run brass through that until you either run out of brass, or run out of time. Next session you can do the same with the expander die. When you're done working all the brass, you can prime. All of those steps are rather "stupid proof", and you can stop - restart as necessary. When you have all your brass prepped, boxed up and ready to go, then you have to have that "alone time" with powder and bullets. That's where the serious mistakes can be made.

My tools and spent brass are readily available, and in segments of 10-20 minutes free time the brass gets prepped. I rarely have any brass sitting in buckets waiting to be cleaned and prepped ... it's all in boxes and bags, resized, primed and ready to load.

garyb
12-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Good point...always more than one way to skin a cat.

I prefer to run them through my AP and complete 100 rounds or so at one time. AP press provides an entirely different action than does the single stage. Likewise, my brass is either dirty in a container marked dirty and cal, or cleaned and unprimed in a container marked clean and cal. Mostly keep it clean. It gets unprimed in the AP at stage 1 and primed at stage 2 (kind of standard in AP presses); and moves through each step 5 at a time until each completed round drops in the bucket...ready for the range. AP press requires the operator to be on his game through the entire process, watching what each stage/die is doing to be sure there are no goof ups. It is kind of hard to mess up, especially with a powder cop die following the powder drop. You simply keep an eye on that powder cop level and occasionally stop to check the drop on a scale. I used to check every 5 drops, but it has never failed to be consistent even watching the cop....so I went to checking the powder on a scale every 25 rounds or so.
Anyway, like I said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Glad you brought up that point Mr.Surveyor. Everyone finds their own best way.