PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED 07-04-11: New Pistols added - Horse Hide/Kydex Holsters.

rnpollard
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
I've added a few pistols to my list. I now have a few new pistols to form holsters with; if I don't have it listed I might still be able to get a hold of it so shoot me an email.

I carry my PM9 daily. I carry it in a horse hide/kydex IWB. If I feel a need for something bigger I carry a P45 in a horse hide/kydex rig and the PM9 in a Galco Pocket holster.

I've been bending kydex for a while and after trying to find a GREAT IWB holster with limited success I tried to make one on my own. I made a kydex tuckable IWB and it was pretty good but after seeing all of the kydex/leather combinations out there I decided to try one of those.

This is what I came up with and it is the most comfortable holster I've ever worn. It is quick, secure and very discreet.

For most of my holsters now I use horse hide. It is far superior to leather. It is more dense and doesn't sweat through like leather does. I use neatsfoot oil on it and that is it.

If I use leather on a holster it gets a neatsfoot oil finish. This costs a little more but looks better and helps to preserve the leather.

I've purchased some dye and am experimenting with it. I'm still not sure that it is worth the time and effort (and expense) for an IWB holster.

I dress up the edges of my holsters on a belt sander. They are looking better and better.

I've made others for my P380, Colt Pony, and 3" 1911. They all work.

At this time I can do:
Seecamp
LCPs w/Crimson Trace
Colt Pony
Kahr 380
Kahr 9mm/40
Kahr 45
Glock 9mm/40/357
Glock 10mm/45
Beretta 92
Sig P238
Diamond Back 380
Springfield XD
Ruger LC9
S&W M&P

I have a couple of holsters made for a Bersa Thunder 380 and a Walther PPK. If there is demand for a different weapon I can purchase a model for it as well.

I've made these holsters for both left and right handed shooters and offer them in both adjustable and fixed models.

Horse hide holsters go for $50 shipped. Extra clips or j-hooks are available.

I've made about 100 of these holsters to date and they are getting rave reviews!!! I can modify my design to meet your individual needs.

Satisfaction guaranteed! Send back the holster and I will return your money (-$3.00 for shipping).

The Glock holster that is pictured is a lefty that I recently made in horse hide. Sorry for the poor quality photo.

I welcome your questions and comments.

jlottmc
05-16-2010, 04:01 PM
How do you like working the kydex, how hard is it to do and how much stuff do you have to buy to do it right? Also where do you get it? I do a little leather, and my stitch work needs help, but I am getting better the hardest part for me is finding time. I would be interested in getting started in kydex too.

rnpollard
05-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I've got a couple hundred bucks in equipment and supplies. I do sheaths, holsters and now the hybrid holster.

Like anything else you get better with practice. I like the ability to go to the workshop with an idea and comr out with a finished product.

I get my leather at Tandy in Atlanta and my kydex from a knife web site.

at_liberty
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
If the design was open ended, it would fit various models with longer barrels. I wonder if condensation would be an issue, maybe requiring a vent hole or indeed an open end.

It looks very professionally done. Nice.

rnpollard
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
but the end is mostly open. It would be a simple matter to make it completely open for P9 & PM9 comparability.

rholmes69
05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Sweet, how much and what's the wait? :)

newyork326
05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I too ask the question... how much for one of these?

recoilguy
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
That is very nicely done!!!!!

It always feels good to take something you made and put it to good use. When it looks as professionally done as that one does ..... extras pride can be taken.

RCG

rnpollard
05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm a retired Soldier and currently a full time student, I do these as a hobby and have only sold a couple to feed my kydex habit!

I won't be doing much in the workshop until after the first week in June is over. The I could whip one of these up as pictured for $35 shipped in the lower 48. Paypal would be + 3%.

I appreciate your interest. Please email me at TopsBlades@gmail.com for more information or to place an order and I'll get back to you asap!

Thanks,

Rick

Bawanna
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Man prepare to be overwhelmed with orders. I'd raise your price at least 50 percent effective right after my order for a PM45? Looks good.

rnpollard
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a P45 now so I can make holsters for the P & PM 45.

I carry one on a regular basis and they work!

rholmes69
05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
You got mail (to your email).

rnpollard
05-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I whipped up a couple of P380 holsters today. One of them is spoken for but the other 2 are available.

These are tuckable and I added a leather spacer behind the j-hook to facilitate tucking in your shirt.

Additionally I did a full combat cut to allow a full grip and cut the leather away from the mag release button.

I wore one around for a couple of hours, tweaked a couple of things and now it is good to go!

Looks like the weather is going to be the pits this weekend so I will try to knock out a couple for the PM9 tomorrow.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions!

R

recoilguy
06-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I want one for my other small gun I sent you an email and has put a check in the US mail for you.

If it looks like the ones you made yesterday I will be very happy!

RCG

recoilguy
06-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a friend looking for one for his XD 45 compact. If you could make one for that I would gladly point him to your email.

RCG

REACT
06-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm a retired Soldier

Thank you, Rick.

rholmes69
06-10-2010, 07:29 AM
I have one on the way from Rick, I'll post pics and thoughts after I get it. It will be for my MK9.

rnpollard
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
React - I appreciate your kind words.

Joe & Rob - your holsters are on the way! Delivery confirmation number sent by email.

I'll have pics of the Round 3 models up soon!

R

recoilguy
06-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Cool! That was very quick turn around for a guy who does it for a hobby! I appreciate that.

RCG

recoilguy
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
My holster came in the mail yesterday. I am wearing it right now. It hides the gun great! The Kydex is formed very nicely to the gun, It is surprisingly comfortable. Thank you for the holster, I am satisfied with it and will use it when I carry the Glock from now on. Thanks again for the quick turn around and the nice holster you made. I will recommend it to anyone who I know is looking for this type of holster for the guns you can make.

You really get a very decent holster for 35 bucks. RNPollard turned it around quickly and did a good job making it. It is wider then my Xbreed or my Comfort Carry, it holds the gun very tight and with dockers and a golf shirt you can not see the G26 at all. It is secure and comfy. I would like the clips to allow for more tuckability, I would like them to be 1/2" longer from the bottom to the top loop so a little more shirt could be tucked in. Other then that for 35 buck I have a holster I will wear, that will hide my gun and that is comfy. Not a bad thing If you need or just want a holster of this style......I recomend you send Rick a PM he does good work and will work with you on what you want!

RCG

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Got mine in the mail yesterday too. I am pretty stoked. This is my second IWB for a pistol, I have not truely tried to carry concealed other than dropping a pistol in a cargo pocket, etc. I have only used in the past a fobus paddle holster, one Don Hume OWB for a S&W Sigma and one Don Hume IWB that has the metal clip that. The Sigma was a little large for concealing on my body and dress requirements.

I don't know about recoilguy, but I asked Rick to make mine with some adjustability as to how far down in the waist I could drop the pistol, since I will be carrying in business casual clothing often. There are two rows of 6 mounting holes each for the front clip, and there is one row of 5 mounting holes for the back clip. The j hooks are designed to be used with an 1 1/2 belt max width (he can customize them). I wore it around yesterday afternoon until I went to bed. It was extremely comfortable and from my practice draws, much easier to get a grip on the pistol than I initially perceived it would be. It stays well planted and it was very easy to reholster, I didn't have to use my other hand to reinsert the weapon. I sat on the couch and watched tv for a while and fairly quickly "forgot" it was there. My only complaint so far is that leather in corner in the top left of the first picture was/is too sharp for sitting and crossing your leg, as I often do in meetings or when hanging out in a chair. And when I say cross your leg, I'm a full on bring my right leg up and slap it perpendicular to the left and rest my right ankle just above the left knee. The leather corner doesn't prevent me from from sitting like that, and I can readjust the holster and it is fine, but it does dig in initially. I will likely round that corner a bit. Otherwise, PERFECT!! Enough about me talking about it. Let's see some pics. I'll post some of it attached to me when I get the chance. Before I forget, a huge thanks to Rick. $40 (I'm rounding) and a one week wait are nothing.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3708.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3713.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3712.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3711.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3710.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3709.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3714.jpg

rnpollard
06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I appreciate their taking the time to share their thoughts on my holsters. I put a lot of thought into the design and have changed it several times, after looking at their comments I will be tweaking a few more things.

Joe,

I will work on a longer clip for you this week and send you some pictures. I think I know what you are looking for and it won't be a problem.

I will proudly post a link to this page in my emails and other posts.

Be safe,

Rick

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you Rick for a great product at a steal of a price (if you ask me) and wonderful communication. I'm proud to be a customer and will gladly throw referrals your way.

Rob

rholmes69
06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Okay, I took a few pics today in full dress. Don't mind the spare tire and sorry for cell phone pics, that is all I had access to at the time. Any how, these are taken looking at the mirror and it is holstered on my right side. I took a pic of my left side so you could get a comparison shot. It was a little more difficult to get dressed than I thought it would be, but that was due in part to wearing a shirt that is very long in length and the weight of the MK sagging more than I was expecting with dress pants. But, it worked fine and no one was eyeballing my hip while out and about yesterday.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/IMG00144-20100615-1556.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/IMG00145-20100615-1556.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/IMG00146-20100615-1556.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/IMG00147-20100615-1558.jpg

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow, really dissappears dont it. I see it in the first pic but only cause I know it's there. The last pic I see more of a buldge on your left side and nadda on your right. You still wearing it in the last pic?
It blends very well indeed.

mrsig239
06-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Email inbound. I want one of these as soon as a few checks cash.

rholmes69
06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, I am still wearing it in all of the pics. I am very pleasantly surprised with how well it hides. It sits low yet he put the full combat cut so I can wrap my hand around the grip so easily. Lovin it. And it is fairly comfortable to sit and drive with. Really happy with that fact! I'll try to remember to get better pics with a nicer camera when I get home from work today.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
If you have the chance I'd love to see some pictures of you wearing it but not covered up. Like to see how it's oriented. Lots of forward cant which helps hide the grip portion and get it lined up with the body unconspicuous.
I like straight up normally but for this setup, that forward cant looks like the way to go.
Rick really put some thought and effort into these and since he's basically one of our own he can tweak stuff as needed. Don't get any better than that. Rick, you da man.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Email inbound. I want one of these as soon as a few checks cash.

Hey mrsig, any chance you could send my check back, now I want one too!

Ok just yanking your chain, my day will come, don't want to wait too long though and have the waiting list get out of sight.

Frankhenrylee
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Crossbreed gets about $65 for something like that. Something you might try that I'd be interested in is that exact same thing but with the neoprene that Blackhawk or Uncle Mikes uses. It'd be sweat proof. Suede would probably be a lot more comfortable too. I love my Crossbreed but its a little on the stiff side. My Uncle Mikes doesn't hold the gun very well but it is really comfortable. I'd love to have that combo. Please make it. I'll buy the first one. If it was lined with leather like the Silent Thunder, I'd give an arm and a leg for it. Any options for clips? I like over the belt.

recoilguy
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
The rnpollard model is no where near as stiff or thick as my Crossbread or my Comfort Carry leather/Kydex holsters. I have worn it for 2 days now and am still very happy i bought it.

I will be taking off the G26 and going back to my Kahr CW9 tomorrow which means the holster will be out of rotation for a while. I wear a holster because of the gun I carry I don't carry a gun because of the holster it rides in.

When I do decide to carry the 26 it will from now on be in this holster.

RCG

rholmes69
06-17-2010, 11:33 PM
OKay, got some better pics of it up close and uncovered. Please ignore the spare tire... I know, I need to eat more salads :). It seems like the lens was a little dirty, sorry for the spots. Looks kinda like dried water drops... weird.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3726.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3725.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3724.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3723.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3722.jpg

rnpollard
06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Bawanna & Mr Sig your holsters go out tomorrow.

Rob, you can look at Tandy Leather Factory - Universal Spring Holster Clips (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/1239-386.aspx?feature=Product_6&kw=clips)

and see if those clips would work better for you.

Coilguy, I sent you an email on some options for you as well.

I started cranking these out for the P & PM45 weapons. I started carrying my P45 and the only issue is the butt of the weapon doesn't conceal under a t-shirt like I'd like it to. I'm 5'9" and about 180 and I tried it around the house and might be a little self consious about it. Sounds like a good reason to buy a PM 45!

I will work with the rig tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

I have done some work on the mag pouches. The bottom line is the guns are more comfortable to carry than the mags! I am going to work on a leather/kydex hybrid mag pouch for pocket carry. I would imagine that I am going to look at doing a single pouch and light combo.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, suggestions and interest.

R

rnpollard
06-29-2010, 07:29 AM
I genuinely appreciate the support I've gotten from KT Forums!

Bawanna
06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Mine just hit my desk a bit ago and it's truely a thing of beauty. Elegant in it's simplicity and as mentioned the leather part is very pliable, flexible, suptle, whats the word I'm looking for? Am I allowed to say not stiff? I have no wear time to report on as yet (only got here 15 minutes ago) but I will very soon. I might head for the powder room and draw on myself, hope that AK dude don't try to draw back. Wearin his hat backwards like a gang banger I'd drop him like a hot rock.
Report and photo's soon.

Thanks Rick, your a man of integrity without question. Appreciate your honesty and quick actions, just the ticket for impatient guys like me.

rholmes69
06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
You'll love it! I honestly forget mine is there. Still can't get over how I forget about it while sitting, that really was a concern that I had.

mrsig239
06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Just got mine today. Great holster and very comfortable. Also trying out his new mag holder so far I like them both.

rnpollard
06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I am loving all the feedback.

Phil, I am going to make a different mag pouch. I will set the pouch lower down the waistband, make the kydex a little taller and add a sweat guard as you suggested.

The mag pouch originally was a way to use the odds and ends pieces that came about making holsters. It is obvious that this won't work for serious carry so I will have to invest a little more material into making them.

I really have come to the conclusion that I may have to carry a New York reload... or a second gun instead of a magazine.

I made a left handed P380 holster today and instead of a forward cant I left it more up and down so that I can carry it at about 11:00. I'll let you all know how that works out. If that doesn't work I will put it behind my left hip but I was hoping to have access with both hands.

Some of you have mentioned me to your friends and I greatly appreciate that. There is a remote possibility that this could supplement my income and that would be a wonderful thing. I am a retired Soldier and after working contract security for a number of years the aches and pains caught up with me. I am now going back to school thanks to the VA and hope to finish a degree and teach school.

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your interest in my holsters. I appreciate the time that you take to share your comments and suggestions.

Rick

joshh
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Rick, holsters look good & reviews sound great. i have been looking to buy a single clip iwb for my pm9, have you thought of trying a single clip design for the smaller pistols? i recently bought some kydex & heavy leather to try a holster idea i have for myself. Its a hybrid but not iwb. not to steal trade secrets but do you bend the hot kydex over a polymer gun?

recoilguy
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I carried my G26 again yesterday and I really like the holster. It is one you can forget you have it on. I am still waiting to get the clips to see if I can get the tuckablility I prefer. These are pretty good holster for a pretty good price.....who wouldn't want to take advantage of that?

RCG

rnpollard
07-01-2010, 10:42 AM
You should get your clips today. I mailed them on Monday and other items I mailed then have been received.

The clips I sent you were at least 6" long so you should be able to do what you need to do with no problem. As always if I can help just let me know.

Thanks,

Rick

recoilguy
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'll let you know when they get there and send you pics of the final product.
thanks

RCG

gunmut
07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Any problem making a left hand model for a CW 9 and one for a CW 45?

Your product looks good!

rnpollard
07-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I will be in the shop for a few hours tomorrow and then I am on vacation for a week.

I might be able to have them ready before I roll.

Email TopsBlades@gmail.com to place the order.

Thanks,

Rick

recoilguy
07-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Got the clips.....thanks. Tried them on the holster. not sure how I am gonna do it yet. Thanks again

RCG

rnpollard
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I've got the use of a Crimson Trace for the 9/40 and purchased one for the P/PM 45 so I'll be making my hybrid holsters for them.

I'll post pics soon!

jpm2717
07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Rick,
I just sent you a PM.

rnpollard
07-26-2010, 08:27 PM
I'll get back to the shop in early August and start back on the holsters.

Josh, I answered your email. I want you to be happy with your holster and will work with you to that end.

Chuck, I'll finish your holster when I get back to the shop.

Be safe,

Rick

rnpollard
08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I had a request for a custom holster. The gentleman wanted to wear it behind his right hip with the butt forward. It took a couple of mods but I think I finally got it right.

Not exactly my style... but I think I will have made him happy.

What do you think?

hedgehog
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
very nice. I'm a bit concerned about the fact that the trigger itself is molded into the kydex though

rnpollard
08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
very nice. I'm a bit concerned about the fact that the trigger itself is molded into the kydex though

I have probably over a thousand hours carrying this holster and I've never had the slightest concern.

Several members here have purchased them and I've recieved no comments from any of them. The trigger guard is wider than the trigger and keeps the kydex away from the trigger until the weapon snaps in.

This is absolutely a safe holster. I'm not sure that I would judge a product from a picture.

Take care,

R

bayoutrigger
08-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Can you make one of your holsters with these "grip clips (http://hiddendefense.blogspot.com/2009/02/grip-clip-holster-for-kahr-pm9.html)"? I sometimes wear a dress belt and the ability to clip the holster to pants would be ideal.

rnpollard
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
but if you've got some or can tell me where to get them I am sure that I can make it work.

Another option would be to use a variation of my j-hook and put velcro on the inside of your dress belt. Invisible and you can tuck your shirt in.

Thanks for your interest,

Rick

rholmes69
08-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Totally not a concern in the least. I don't think there is any way humanly possibly for that to cause an accidental fire. The trigger travel is long enough by it's own right on standard trigger and you would have to some how have the kydex break free from the leather before that could even start to happen. The pistol would be on the ground or somewhere down your pant leg before it could "fire off" a round. I speaketh from experience, I own and edc with a this exact holster. Fine piece of work!

Bawanna
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Totally not a concern in the least. I don't think there is any way humanly possibly for that to cause an accidental fire. The trigger travel is long enough by it's own right on standard trigger and you would have to some how have the kydex break free from the leather before that could even start to happen. The pistol would be on the ground or somewhere down your pant leg before it could "fire off" a round. I speaketh from experience, I own and edc with a this exact holster. Fine piece of work!

At the risk of scenting a big plus one on this one. Accidental discharge would be near impossible. I don't have much time wearing mine as yet but its' time is coming. Fine piece of work indeed.

rnpollard
08-16-2010, 09:47 AM

At the risk of scenting a big plus one on this one. Accidental discharge would be near impossible. I don't have much time wearing mine as yet but its' time is coming. Fine piece of work indeed.

I was hoping for some folks with actual hands on to give their feedback.

Take care,

Rick

recoilguy
08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I wasn't even sure what the concern was.......now that I think it is accidental discharge, I would not be concerned in the least.

RCG

recoilguy
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I have been away from the site for about 6 weeks now......

In that time I let my wife have my CW9 and have been carrying my G26 in the holster Rick made for me. I wear it every single day and I have to admit, it is very comfortable, easy to reholster, and the weight distribution of the design is freakin outstanding. I had to neat up a few minor details but that was just for looks for me. This holster may not be a ton of money but it is a great little piece of equipment.

I am very impressed now that I have 2 months of wearing it under my belt.

RCG

rnpollard
11-08-2010, 05:02 PM
RCG, it was nice to see your comments. I'm not making a lot of holsters right now because life is a little full. I'm a new Grandfather (Papa!) and am taking a slightly more than full load at school.

I am thrilled to hear that you are happy with your holster. I'l love to see what you've done to pretty it up. As I made them I came to realize that I could spend hours on cosmetics and it wouldn't improve function a lick.

As I recall I sent you a second set of clips... how did they work out? Any chance of seeing a couple of pics?

I have even taken back a few of my earlier "improvements"! I generally place the clips in a standard location now that allows the lip of the kydex to ride just slightly above the waistband. I don't do the multiple holes because the feed back that I was getting was that people were using it jjust as I had sent it to them. If a customer wants additional holes I will accommodate but it is really just as easy for them to add a set with a drill and a 1/4" bit.

I gotta admit that I have strayed a bit from Kahrs. I had a problem while shooting my PM45 that really bothered me. I shot about 150 round through it with no problem. Cleaned it and went out and shot another 35 or so round and then started to have a feeding problem. Turns out it was the slide stop spring. Until I get this figured out I am carrying a 1911 or a G36.

I carry each of these in holsters of my own making. I've gone to a thinner leather and find that it works extremely well. I am able to draw and fire with no problems. Sometimes the thinner leather flops over the mouth of the holster but I've never had a problem reholstering.

I can still do holsters for all the Kahrs, 9/40/357 Glocks and the Glock 36, 1911s and now Springfield XD .45s.

Thanks for digging up my old thread!

Rick

rnpollard
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Can you make one of your holsters with these "grip clips (http://hiddendefense.blogspot.com/2009/02/grip-clip-holster-for-kahr-pm9.html)"? I sometimes wear a dress belt and the ability to clip the holster to pants would be ideal.

I've never seen clips like these before. I can't imagine wearing pants without a belt and if you are wearing a belt my j-hooks or new reverse j-hooks are just about perfect to my way of thinking. I can make different sized hooks to match different sized belts and have made them for everything from 1.25" to 1.75". The middle sized 1.5 will work for either of the others as well.

My reverse j-hook would be fine with a dress belt. If you've ever worn a pistol "mexican" style by just slipping it in your waistband you know that the weapon is held in place by friction. My holsters

If you can find clips like that and they can be attached to kydex then I can do it!

Thanks for the question,

Rick

recoilguy
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I trimmed the excess Kydex off the sides past the gromets and rounded a bunch of pointy corners out. I trimmed excess leather away and I went back to the original clips you sent with the holster. I heated the Kydex and made more squared off points of contact at the Kydex and the leather. Nothing major just a couple tidying up things for my personal prefereance.

RCG

rnpollard
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
First I've finally done a wheel gun holster that I like. I've been playing around with an SP101 and really like it. I've made a couple of holsters for it and it carries very well.

The other first is the tan kydex. It is .060 thick and molds very well. I really like it. I should have it on hand within a week.

Additionally I don't make multiple adjustment holes any more unless they are requested. I found that most people were carrying the rig the way I initially set it up. If someone wants to add a hole it isn't a problem.

Thanks for looking,

Rick

MrToad
01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Rick, I'm in the market for an IWB for my CW45 and it sounds like you've been doing some nice work. I'm always happy to give business to forum members, whatever the site. I know in earlier posts on this thread you've been busy in school and grandparenting, but am curious about your holsters.

rnpollard
01-12-2011, 09:35 AM
but not as many. I would be glad to accommodate you. Please send me an email and confirm right or left hand draw. It might take a couple of weeks to get it to you but I will knock it out ASAP!

I met a local customer yesterday and he wants two more holsters so I'll be heading to the shop soon.

Thanks very much for your interest!

R

garyb
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Are you making them for PM40 with CTL? I might be interested.
Thanks

rnpollard
01-12-2011, 11:00 AM
It looks like I will be heading back to the shop this weekend. If you would like one made please send me a quick email and let me know right or left and where you will carry it.

I actually have a couple that I've made for myself that I'm not using right now. I could send you one to try out if you will cover the postage, say $3. If you want to keep it just send me $35 and it is yours. If you want to order a new one that is fine as well.

Thanks for your interest in my work,

Rick

rnpollard
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I've been away for a while but I am back.

I am still a little concerned with the Kahr .45s but am in love with my PM 9.

I carry it daily either as a primary in one of my holsters or in a pocket holster as a bug to a larger gun.

I've also changed my philosophy on making adjustable holsters. After a lot of feedback from customers I found that 99% left their holsters set up just like I sent them out.

At this point I send it out set up like I would wear it. If a customer wants to modify it all it takes is a common hand drill and a 1/4" bit.

I am also putting a hand rubbed neatsfoot oil finish on some of my holsters, especially the 8 oz leather models. The 4 oz leather models are very flexible and comfortable without it.

I use neatsfoot on all my holsters and recommend that you do as well.

Last week I went out to the shed to make a few holsters and ended up looking in the "scrap pile". I try to use as much as I can to keep costs down and to leave the world in better shape for my Grandson.

This is what I came up with. I always wear an athletic shirt and so this model is without a sweat shield. I don't miss it at all.

Thanks for looking!

Rick

P.S. RCG, I am glad you are enjoying your holster! I appreciate your support.

rnpollard
04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I am back to working on holsters on a regular basis and appreciate all the support that I've gotten from all of the KT members.

If you are in the market for a solid IWB holster please contact me.

I have been working with horse hide for about 3 months now and it is good stuff.

I've carried my K PM9 in it daily for months and it is as comfortable as leather, thin... about the same as 4oz leather and is much more dense. I haven't come close to sweating through it.

Eventually I will go to horse hide exclusively. I just don't see an advantage to leather.

I'll add a couple of more pics in the morning.

Thanks,

Rick

rowdy
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Rick,
Email sent.

Rowdy

jeepshots
04-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Rick, I've sent you an email as well. Thanks

rnpollard
04-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you Gentlemen for your support. I will have your holsters in the mail this week!

Stay safe,

Rick

rnpollard
04-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Here are a couple of pics of a PM9 Horse Hide Holster that I recently finished. It sports my custom made j-hooks. Even though making these hooks is my LEAST favorite part of holster making they do work extremely well.

In addition to the standard front and back shots I've added a pic that shows the thinness of the horse hide. Don't let it fool you; the horse hide is more dense and substantially more firm than leather. Even as thin as it is it may require a little breaking in.

Stay safe,

Rick

rholmes69
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Boy, these have come a long way since when you first started making them for us!!! Looking great!!!

Here's a little flashback: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/100_3713.jpg

rnpollard
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
That bad boy doesn't look like its been worn!!!

If you would like to upgrade send me an email and I will cut you a deal!!;)

You were one of my first customers and were very supportive. I appreciate what you and the other members of this forum have done for my business.

Stay safe,

Rick

rowdy
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks Rick. You are the MAN!

Bawanna
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
What kind of effect will the horsehide have on your pricing. Gotta drive your cost up some, if not alot.

Also did you ever get around to making those Colt Pony Grips fit? That was long long ago but as I recall they were close but not quite 100 %.

rnpollard
04-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm charging a little bit more. I'm asking $50 plus shipping now. If the price of materials goes up I'll have to adjust accordingly. Additionally some times I can get a deal on some materials, when that happens I try to pass along some of the savings.

You told me when I started that should be charging more. RCG was one of the first guys to get me to thinking about fit and finish. I recently had a local customer tell me he would pay more for better fit and finish. This is what motivated me to start doing the oil finish.

Rob showed me how far I've come. I date all my photo files and haven't looked back at the oldies for a while.

I've always been proud of my work but now I am more so.

In the past year or so, however, I've gotten better at what I do. There are fewer mistakes and it takes less time to make a holster so it all comes out in the wash.

I have some cow hide left over and am going to use it to make some holsters and sell them at a good price. Once it is gone, as long as I can find horse hide, I will use only horse hide from now on. It is that good. I can't find a single area where it is not superior to cow hide.

I never really got the grips to fit the Pony. I've thought about asking you about an FFL dealer near you so I could send you the gun or just the frame. I have an FFL here that would take it back.

The grips that you made are really beautiful! It is a shame not to have them on my gun.

Stay safe,

Rick

Bawanna
04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm charging a little bit more. I'm asking $50 plus shipping now. If the price of materials goes up I'll have to adjust accordingly.

In the past year or so, however, I've gotten better at what I do. There are fewer mistakes and it takes less time to make a holster so it all comes out in the wash.

I have some cow hide left over and am going to use it to make some holsters and sell them at a good price. Once it is gone, as long as I can find horse hide, I will use only horse hide from now on. It is that good. I can't find a single area where it is not superior to cow hide.

I never really got the grips to fit the Pony. I've thought about asking you about an FFL dealer near you so I could send you the gun or just the frame. I have an FFL here that would take it back.

The grips that you made are really beautiful! It is a shame not to have them on my gun.

Stay safe,

Rick

We can certainly do that. I have an FFL. I'll ask him how we can handle this without transferring it unless of course I find I just can't give it up and send it back. That right there might be one of them dilemma's.
We're on this thing to follow the law and pay tax on everything so the dealers are all confused. Took my son to pick up his Springfield at my last FFL, last as of yesterday. He didn't want to deliver for 5 days even though he had a CPL. I had to go back to work and email him the delivery criteria. We got the gun right before closing.
I'll talk to my guy and get back to ya. We'll get some grips that fit on that thing.

rholmes69
04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
That bad boy doesn't look like its been worn!!!

If you would like to upgrade send me an email and I will cut you a deal!!;)

You were one of my first customers and were very supportive. I appreciate what you and the other members of this forum have done for my business.

Stay safe,

Rick

That was the original picture from when I first got it. It has since aquired a nice patina! I wear it whenever I have the "right" pants on; sometimes my Kahr has to ride in the pocket.

bigbob68
04-27-2011, 07:09 AM
What position is this meant to be worn? I usually carry OWB at the 3 o'clock position.

rowdy
04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Here are a couple of pics of a PM9 Horse Hide Holster that I recently finished. It sports my custom made j-hooks. Even though making these hooks is my LEAST favorite part of holster making they do work extremely well.

In addition to the standard front and back shots I've added a pic that shows the thinness of the horse hide. Don't let it fool you; the horse hide is more dense and substantially more firm than leather. Even as thin as it is it may require a little breaking in.

Stay safe,

Rick

Hey, that's a pic of mine!:cool: Thanks again Rick and I still can't believe how fast you are. Look forward to seeing it in person.

rnpollard
04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
I've worn my holsters in the appendix position at 1:00 with no problem. The PM9 works great this way. 3:00 shouldn't be a problem. I leave plenty of horse hide so you can add holes and move the clips to suit your method of carry and even the pants you are wearing. All it takes is a hand drill and a 3/16 or 1/4 bit to make new holes.

Thanks for your question and your interest in my work,

Rick

MikeyKahr
04-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Just want to make a quick post that I took the plunge and ordered myself a horsehide holster from rnpollard. His latest batch just looked fantastic and the price was right, and I'm glad to help out a fellow KTer. Holster will be shipping tomorrow (how's next day for turnaround time?) and I'm looking forward to getting some time with my new friend next week! Rick has been a great guy to work with in the purchasing phase, has been very helpful, informative and timely in his responses to me - even with my many questions!! Based on my interaction to date, I highly suggest considering rnpollard as your holstermaker. Report to follow. P.S. I have not been paid or compensated in any other way for my comments :blah:

MikeyKahr
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Another quick update to you, Rick (rnpollard) sent out the new style horsehide PM9 with CT laserguard holster the day after I sent payment. Talk about quick service! The holster arrived in great condition and quickly via USPS first class, in spite of postal service slowdowns after the storms down south. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to wear it yet as I'm out of state and one of the states that I have been visiting is one of our more communist states of the union. The one where mayors want paid and armed security guards after leaving office, but work endlessly to fight ordinary citizens' rights to do the same for themselves and their families. I'm looking forward to taking the holster through its paces when I get back to 2A friendly territory. Thanks all around, Rick!

rnpollard
07-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm looking forward to feedback.

I just spent a month visiting my son, who serves our country in Alaska. While out west I spent time in Colorado, Texas and South Dakota; all visiting family. Now I am back in the shop cranking out holsters before school starts back in August.

While visiting my brother in Colorado he showed me one of my first holsters. I was amazed at how much my work has developed. A store owner in Anchorage has an order pending for a couple dozen holsters!

I got my start here on KT.

Take care,

Rick

MikeyKahr
07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Rick, good to hear from you again. Glad to hear your trip went so well visiting your son and other family, and also glad to hear about the big order coming in for you! Here's to being busy doing something you love doing until school starts! I'm still hooked on pocket holsters for the time being. One of these days I'm going to brighten my horizons and start carrying IWB on a regular basis. As soon as I get a few days/weeks under my belt (pun firmly intended), I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure I won't be disappointed for the times I want a two-clip setup.

Rainman48314
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm looking forward to feedback.

I just spent a month visiting my son, who serves our country in Alaska. While out west I spent time in Colorado, Texas and South Dakota; all visiting family. Now I am back in the shop cranking out holsters before school starts back in August.

While visiting my brother in Colorado he showed me one of my first holsters. I was amazed at how much my work has developed. A store owner in Anchorage has an order pending for a couple dozen holsters!

I got my start here on KT.

Take care,

RickEmail sent re LC9

Rainman48314
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Rick tells me he'll be shipping my LC9 holster next week. I'm pretty geeked up because I love the gun and the holster will give me some positioning options. I can semi-customized it by moving hooks to different holes.

Detailed report in a week or two.

dev
11-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Are you still making these to order? I'm interested in one for my CW9. I also PMed you.

rnpollard
11-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Dev,

I replied to your PM. I am still making these holsters and $50 shipped is the going price.

Thanks for your interest. You can communicate with me best by email, topsblades@gmail.com.

Take care,

Rick

rnpollard
11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
To dev, Jim and the other gentlemen who have ordered holsters recently.

I genuinely appreciate your support.

Happy Holidays,

Rick

joshh
12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
hey rick, i havent been on the site for a while and just saw the pics.these horsehide holsters are looking great! whats the smallest one you could make for the pm9? any pics? think i'd like to order myself an xmas gift!

rnpollard
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
The beauty about my holsters is that I want you to feel free to trim it up to suit yourself. I don't think you can mess it up so bad that we can't fix it.;)

I've trimmed up my holsters since I've started making them. If I'm wearing it.. well it has been trimmed to the max.

Take a look at my PM9 Bikini holster.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa467/TopsBlades/Kahr%20Arms%20Horse%20Hide%20and%20Kydex%20Holster s/KahrPM9BIKINI.jpg

I made this from scraps that I had in the shop just to see how small I could go. It worked like a charm even though it didn't have a sweat shield. I ALWAYS wear an athletic shirt under my holsters and I don't have a problem.

Send me an email at TopsBlades@gmail.com and I'm sure we can come up with something that will suit your needs.

Thanks for the reply,

Rick

bell22
12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I bought a holster from Rick for my CM9 and it is awesome! I'm breaking it in right now and it just fits and feels perfect...very comfortable and forget its there. Alot thinner than I expected so current size jeans shouldnt be an issue for most. Cannot beat or compare to the excellent service and communication and Rick will go out of his way to make sure you're happy with it!! Thanks again!!

rnpollard
12-21-2011, 07:13 AM
I appreciate your taking the time to post some feedback on the forum. I follow up with everyone that orders my holsters and comments like yours are not uncommon. I am grateful for your comments.

Merry Christmas to all,

Rick

johnh
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
PLEASE READ THE NOTICE REGARDING SPONSORSHIP REQUIREMENTS.

Thread locked.