PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning...How often do you do it?

QuietMan
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
A curiosity question...How often to do you guys clean your Kahrs. Planning to start the break in period on my new CW9 and was curious on how often you guys clean yours?
Normally I clean my guns after each shooting session but, my XD9 can go several hundred rounds before really needing to be clean and I know of guys going longer than that.

Frankhenrylee
05-17-2010, 02:47 PM
If you've got a stainless Kahr you'll clean it after every trip to the range. It was my first stainless gun after owning XD's and it made me wonder just how dirty my XD's were. With Kahr's being machined very tightly I like to make sure that my guns stays well oiled. I'll clean it even without shooting it just to make sure. There's a break in guide on here somewhere, I think in the tech section.

jocko
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Kahrs will go thousands of rounds without cleaning BUT WHY. What are u proving by doing this??

Especially if it is your defense gun and one that you trust your life with.I have shot over 500 rounds a few times out of my kahrs and never an issue but I try to always have a clean PM9 in my front pocket, lubed and ready to go. I neglect my G`19 and my K9 more as they are my range guns but not my life saving gun. It is going to be clean... and I recycle my defense rounds at least once a month and start anew..

About like wearing shorts for a week, one can do it but just kind of messy !!

Moto_joe
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I clean it after every time shooting thoroughly. I also give it a quick "dusting" once every week or two if I have not shot, to get "carry grunge" out of it, lint, hair etc.

I am sure it could take hundreds of rounds (probably even thousands) without a malfunction, but WHY?

I put 500+ rounds through my MilPro at a range one day without so much as a takedown and it never hiccuped, or shot any different than it ever had. Also didnt seem much dirtier than it does in 100-200 rounds other than the breech face had primer sealant caked on it more than usual. I am sure the kahr would do just the same.

ripley16
05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I clean a gun after I use it regardless of round count. The only exception ever is perhaps some .22s I'll let go back into the safe with only an exterior wipe down.

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I clean a gun after I use it regardless of round count. The only exception ever is perhaps some .22s I'll let go back into the safe with only an exterior wipe down.

I do exactly the same thing. I try to clean the same day so they don't get forgotten. Like you my 22's usually just get a wipe down and a thorough cleaning every once in awhile.
Kind of like feeding your dog before you eat yourself, I like the guns clean. I don't get to the range often enough and usually when I go, I go for a long time with way too many toys, so the cleaning can sometimes be a real nuisance. I've been trying to take less toys and focus more on just one or two, not working too good so far but getting better.

QuietMan
05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Like I said it was just a curiousity...I usually clean after each range session...Looking forward to some range time tomorrow with the new CW first time out just cleaned it today per Jocko's post...Even worked the slide quite a bit.;)

cgo99
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I go for a long time with way too many toys, so the cleaning can sometimes be a real nuisance. I've been trying to take less toys and focus more on just one or two, not working too good so far but getting better.
I'm in the same boat, I clean them after each trip. Besides cleaning them is half the fun.
Wish I had the same problem you have Bawanna, I don't have enough toys:hurt:, but I'm working on it :D.

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Like I said it was just a curiousity...I usually clean after each range session...Looking forward to some range time tomorrow with the new CW first time out just cleaned it today per Jocko's post...Even worked the slide quite a bit.;)

Curiosity is good, (I think). Let us know how she runs for ya, we've had a streak of good reports lately so don't mess it up please. Pictures and a brief report not over 28 pages would be nice. I wish you and your new CW all good things.

Moto_joe
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Carrying a dirty gun (for those that do), is not only a bad idea because you want it to function its best if you need it, but it makes it easier for cops to EXCLUDE you, if they think you shot, and you didnt.

Just trying to come up with some crazy highly unlikely scenario, but one that is possible here....... after all it is HIGHLY unlikely you will ever need your carry piece, but you carry it anyway right? We carry for 1% chances...... why risk other 1% possibilities.

Lets say you are driving down the road. A block away from you a driveby shooting happens. The shooter was in a similar vehicle to yours and a witness saw it.

Cops see you in the area and stop you out of suspicion.

The find you have a weapon.

A clean weapon shows you did NOT shoot it.

A dirty weapon makes it possible you did.

Sure they might find the casing, and find it is not a match to yours. but they might not find that casing.

I know it is highly unlikely, but it is possible. Keep your firearm clean at all times.

jlottmc
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I clean it after every time shooting thoroughly. I also give it a quick "dusting" once every week or two if I have not shot, to get "carry grunge" out of it, lint, hair etc.

I am sure it could take hundreds of rounds (probably even thousands) without a malfunction, but WHY?

I put 500+ rounds through my MilPro at a range one day without so much as a takedown and it never hiccuped, or shot any different than it ever had. Also didnt seem much dirtier than it does in 100-200 rounds other than the breech face had primer sealant caked on it more than usual. I am sure the kahr would do just the same.

That's just about exactly what I would have said. I learned before I enlisted to clean like this. After I enlisted, I learned to clean as soon as I was done shooting, and no less than once a month. I have been known to clean before I leave the range quite often too in fact.

QuietMan
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
First 200 rounds down the pipe...no hiccups...nice little shooter. Like has been said before the trigger will take a little getting use to but not bad.
I kept most of those 200 rounds within a max 8" circle at 7 yards. I wasn't going for great accuracy first time out. When I did really try to slow fire and aim precisely the "x" was gone. I think I need to get a better grip with my left hand ( RH shooter) because my shots were going a little low and left.

Beserkr
05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a cw40 that I shoot federal 180 gr fmj with. I fire over 200 rounds at the range and when i take it apart there is almost no cleaning that needs to be done. On the other hand my brothers girlfriend has a taurus .45 1911 and when she fires the same ammount of rounds and takes hers apart you would think she just went to war with it with all the muck in there. I am a Kahr fan for life!!!

steve666
05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
My routine is to clean my guns anytime that I shoot them or once a month if I don't shoot it.

recoilguy
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I find ammo makes a very big difference in the amount of cleaning I need to do. Could just be me but I was shooting some czech bullets last week in my Czech weapon and it was as dirty as it has ever been. WWB is dirty ammo but it shoots pretty good in my guns. I can't believe any gun would have been clean shooting the bullets I shot last week.

I too enjoy cleaning my weapons. I will clean them before I leave the range at times too. If not then right when I get home. It's just a habit I developed I guess.

RCG

jocko
05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Carrying a dirty gun (for those that do), is not only a bad idea because you want it to function its best if you need it, but it makes it easier for cops to EXCLUDE you, if they think you shot, and you didnt.

Just trying to come up with some crazy highly unlikely scenario, but one that is possible here....... after all it is HIGHLY unlikely you will ever need your carry piece, but you carry it anyway right? We carry for 1% chances...... why risk other 1% possibilities.

Lets say you are driving down the road. A block away from you a driveby shooting happens. The shooter was in a similar vehicle to yours and a witness saw it.

Cops see you in the area and stop you out of suspicion.

The find you have a weapon.

A clean weapon shows you did NOT shoot it.

A dirty weapon makes it possible you did.

Sure they might find the casing, and find it is not a match to yours. but they might not find that casing.

I know it is highly unlikely, but it is possible. Keep your firearm clean at all times.

point indeed, hell one never knows what is around the corner..

hsart
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I have become used to cleaning my Kahr after each range trip. It also helps me determine (or rule out ) what caused any misfires/malfunctions. My Glocks I am a little less clean conscious with.

Bawanna
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
It's kind of funny and related. I'm still finding cases from my sunday range session. They fly all over, mine and others and they land in my chair or front and bag little bags and get lodged, foot rest usually give ups a few. The floor and seats in my van have the odd and end piece of brass that drops off. I've lost springs, pins and such while working on a gun and find it weeks later stuck someplace on my ride. I'm sure cops would raise their eyebrows?