PDA

View Full Version : IDPA with a 380

garyb
12-23-2013, 11:03 AM
The official IDPA rules don't allow 380's. I ran into a safety officer and his wife at a Christmas party. They both shoot IDPA and are very competitive. I mentioned that I'd love to see my wife come out to shoot to improve her gun handling skills. They had a nice long chat with her and welcomed her to bring her 380 and shoot with us. As a local club, they can make concessions to get folks involved. IDPA folks are really good people. They seemed to have her partially talked into it. I'll need to pick up a couple more mags and mag pouches for her. It will be worth it if she is coming out to shoot. Hope she does, as it will significantly improve her gun handling skills and confidence...to the level she was at with her black powder competition...as FL Woman's State champ. I'm ready to reload for her 380, so we'll see where this goes in 2014.

knkali
12-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Might want to see if there is a BUG competition near you. I think that calib is allowed in BUG stuff.

garyb
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
That happens once a year at each range. We may get involved in that one too. I am guessing that once she gets started and can manage her 380 slide better, her mechanics will improve to where she can manage a 9 or 40. When we purchased her BG380 it was the only slide she felt comfortable to work. Her mechanics are kind of poor until she gets the hang of things. She is not a weak woman, it is strictly her comfort and mechanics. She will enjoy the game and will want a competitive gun eventually. For now, it is a matter of simply getting her out to shoot some stations and have some fun. She shoots at targets with me, but IDPA is a much different thing. The scenarios and stages are what make major improvements to gun handling skills.

muggsy
01-12-2014, 08:27 AM
That sounds like something I might enjoy trying. I haven't shot in competition in years.

garyb
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
That sounds like something I might enjoy trying. I haven't shot in competition in years.

I guarantee that you would have a great time. Good folks from experts down to very old and slow. All Very helpful. Just good fun, joking, but all safe. Lots of good SD situations. Worth visiting a local range that offers IDPA to watch a match. You'd pick up some things just watching. Highly recommend that you explore this.

tc scout
01-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I would look at a full size M&P9, I think you will find the slide to be much easier to operate than the BG and a lot more enjoyable shooting IDPA.
I have been shooting IDPA for a few years with a stock M&P Pro9, works great. Now and then I take the Glock 23 for a little added adventure and practice.
Regardless, I think your wife will enjoy it, its a fun event with a lot of nice shooters. Our club runs an informal IDPA that draws over 250 shooters once a month.
Good Luck, Enjoy ;)

The official IDPA rules don't allow 380's. I ran into a safety officer and his wife at a Christmas party. They both shoot IDPA and are very competitive. I mentioned that I'd love to see my wife come out to shoot to improve her gun handling skills. They had a nice long chat with her and welcomed her to bring her 380 and shoot with us. As a local club, they can make concessions to get folks involved. IDPA folks are really good people. They seemed to have her partially talked into it. I'll need to pick up a couple more mags and mag pouches for her. It will be worth it if she is coming out to shoot. Hope she does, as it will significantly improve her gun handling skills and confidence...to the level she was at with her black powder competition...as FL Woman's State champ. I'm ready to reload for her 380, so we'll see where this goes in 2014.

b4uqzme
03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
:w00t: IDPA season starts this Saturday!!!!

muggsy
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
I guarantee that you would have a great time. Good folks from experts down to very old and slow. All Very helpful. Just good fun, joking, but all safe. Lots of good SD situations. Worth visiting a local range that offers IDPA to watch a match. You'd pick up some things just watching. Highly recommend that you explore this.

Old and slow? Are you trying to tell me something Gary? :)

moosedan
03-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Bug match in Bowling Green tomorrow. Green river gun club.
www.bggrgc.com

garyb
04-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Old and slow? Are you trying to tell me something Gary? :)

Expert of course!

garyb
04-24-2014, 07:23 AM
I would look at a full size M&P9, I think you will find the slide to be much easier to operate than the BG and a lot more enjoyable shooting IDPA.
I have been shooting IDPA for a few years with a stock M&P Pro9, works great. Now and then I take the Glock 23 for a little added adventure and practice.
Regardless, I think your wife will enjoy it, its a fun event with a lot of nice shooters. Our club runs an informal IDPA that draws over 250 shooters once a month.
Good Luck, Enjoy ;)

She is just not getting into handgun that much to justify the purchase. Although I agree that this particular gun would be ideal for her. I have the M&P Pro40 and it is my IDPA gun. Although I am very competitive (at most anything), I use IDPA for training more than for competition. I guess I am competing with myself while I am shooting....always trying to improve my skills. I frequently bring the PM40 to shoot IDPA, because this is what I carry. My scores drop from my scores with the M&P Pro, but that stands to reason. However, my skills with the PM continue to improve because I learn from the M&P and practice those learned skills with the PM. I would not say that the M&P is any more enjoyable, unless focusing on the scores. To me the scores are only a barometer and I don't take them all that seriously. Besides, we all have good and bad days anyway, so scores are only there as a measure.

BTW, I am noticing more BG's appearing at the IDPA shoots for the same reason. Folks are wanting more practice with their smaller carry guns. IDPA allows this kind of transition, is great training and lots of fun.

stevec5ws6
12-29-2014, 08:45 PM
It's great that you have a good club that will work with you.. one of our local clubs even lets children/women shoot with a 22 if needed. It's not like they are going to win anything anyway. but it's a blast and gets peopl intothe sport.

bugs
09-12-2016, 12:34 PM
FYI, the rules have changed since last year (2015) .380s are welcome in BUG.

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER