PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Magazine Question

jgedmond
05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Newbie here just picked up a used MK9 built in 2006. The gun came with all original accessories and paperwork and appears to have been well cared for. The only issue that I have found is that the 7-round mag does not eject cleanly from the mag well. If I put a snap cap in that mag, it ejects much more cleanly.

Since the mag tube on the 7-round mag shows a lot more wear (the 6-round mag looks unused), I assume that the original owner used the 7-rounder for carry purposes, kept it loaded, and the spring took a set. Does this seem like the most likely explanation? Are there other possible causes that I am overlooking?

Bawanna
05-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Newbie here just picked up a used MK9 built in 2006. The gun came with all original accessories and paperwork and appears to have been well cared for. The only issue that I have found is that the 7-round mag does not eject cleanly from the mag well. If I put a snap cap in that mag, it ejects much more cleanly.

Since the mag tube on the 7-round mag shows a lot more wear (the 6-round mag looks unused), I assume that the original owner used the 7-rounder for carry purposes, kept it loaded, and the spring took a set. Does this seem like the most likely explanation? Are there other possible causes that I am overlooking?

Check the grip screws and make sure they aren't over tightened and hitting the magazine. If they are you should be able to see scratches down the side that's hitting or even both. Back them off a bit and all should be well. If they work lose I use thin rubber orings under the screw head. Take up a few threads and keeps them from loosening. I don't see how a snap cap would make the mag ejection any better or worse.

jlottmc
05-19-2010, 06:56 AM
That's the right answer Bawanna. I had the same problem with my 1911, and still have to be very careful when I take the grips off.

jgedmond
05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Check the grip screws and make sure they aren't over tightened and hitting the magazine. If they are you should be able to see scratches down the side that's hitting or even both. Back them off a bit and all should be well. If they work lose I use thin rubber orings under the screw head. Take up a few threads and keeps them from loosening. I don't see how a snap cap would make the mag ejection any better or worse.

More details on the problem that do not support the grip screw theory. The 7-round mag has scratches over a significant portion of both sides, not just where the screws would scrape it. The 6-round mag works fine. Lastly, I checked the screws and they do not protrude into the mag well.

I can see at least 2 reasons why having a snap cap or round in the mag would aid ejection - more weight in the mag and more mag spring compression.

Bawanna
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
More details on the problem that do not support the grip screw theory. The 7-round mag has scratches over a significant portion of both sides, not just where the screws would scrape it. The 6-round mag works fine. Lastly, I checked the screws and they do not protrude into the mag well.

I can see at least 2 reasons why having a snap cap or round in the mag would aid ejection - more weight in the mag and more mag spring compression.

Dang I was so hoping for a direct hit and cure for your issue. Weight and compression would indeed aid ejection to a certain degree. It seems that mag is a tad buldged or just over sized a tad. Maybe a caliper comparison of the thickness versus the 6 rounder for comparison? Can't think of anything that would cause it to buldge. Since a new magazine seems to be in your future in your position I'd probably try squeezing it down carefully in a vise, well supported on both sides with a piece of hard wood or maybe just something in the middle to over squeeze so it springs back. Makes me wonder why the previous owner seemed to prefer that magazine if it's hanging up.

jgedmond
05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Dang I was so hoping for a direct hit and cure for your issue. Weight and compression would indeed aid ejection to a certain degree. It seems that mag is a tad buldged or just over sized a tad. Maybe a caliper comparison of the thickness versus the 6 rounder for comparison? Can't think of anything that would cause it to buldge. Since a new magazine seems to be in your future in your position I'd probably try squeezing it down carefully in a vise, well supported on both sides with a piece of hard wood or maybe just something in the middle to over squeeze so it springs back. Makes me wonder why the previous owner seemed to prefer that magazine if it's hanging up.

Bawanna, thanks for your additional advice. I tried to call Kahr, but the were already gone for the day. I also thought to try the vise, but did want to get that radical without getting advice from those with more experience than me.

jgedmond
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Bawanna, thanks for your additional advice. I tried to call Kahr, but the were already gone for the day. I also thought to try the vise, but did want to get that radical without getting advice from those with more experience than me.

At the risk of talking to myself, here goes ...

I examined the mag insertion carefully with the slide off. It was obvious that the very top of the mag was being squeezed by the upper part of the frame (right around where the slide lock inserts and on the opposite side). Evidently the feed lips and upper mag had spread open too much for adequate clearance. Judicious application of the vise seems to have fixed the immediate problem. Looks like some carry mags will be ordered soon and that these will be relegated to range use only.

BTW, wife and I took the MK9 to the range yesterday, what a sweet little shooter! Super smooth trigger, no failures of any kind, recoil was no problem even with +P self defense ammo, and pretty accurate once we got more acclimated to the trigger and sites. Still need some work to improve with the post and dot siting system (used to 3-dot), but will probably add 3-dot night sites in the near future.