PDA

View Full Version : Tp9?

Jeremiah/Az
05-21-2010, 12:47 AM
How does the TP9 compare to the PM9 as far as concealability? I know you get 1" more barrel for probably 100 FPS more velocity & 1 more round for about 3 oz. more. I have the PM9 & love it, just have the bug for another gun. Does the TP9 shoot as well as the PM9?

ripley16
05-21-2010, 03:59 AM
The TP9 currently produced takes only the 8 round mags, making the difference in height a bit over 1". The longer 4" barrel isn't hard to conceal, but it is the grip that some people would say make the TP harder to hide.

I don't have a PM to compare to, but one can easily assume the longer gripped TP would be the easier, softer shooter of the two. I recently picked up a TP9 to add to my Kahr collection and all I have for it is praise. It has impressed me so much that I've even considered using it to replace my much beloved CCW.

The longer grip, barrel and sight radius could only prove to be improved assets over the short PM in a head to head comparison, IMHO. The TP is certainly the bargain of the polymer line... another asset.

There are some TP9s that take the 7 round mag and obviously have a shorter KP sized grip. If considering a purchase, make sure you know what you're getting.

clance
05-21-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm a average size guy (5'10" & 190 lbs.) and have no problems carrying the TP9 as my primary CCW. When I carry the TP9 I generally just stick it in the waist ban of my pants to lower the signature of the pistol. You choice of holsters will definitely determine this as well as comfort. With the metal parts being stainless and the frame polymer I have little worries concerning sweat. I just through habit, wipe it down when I take it off for the day. The only time that I notice the a visible signature of the weapon is when I bend over to pick something up, then the heel of the grip does stick out against my shirt but not as noticeable if I'm wearing a jacket.

I have notice a couple thing about the TP9 though. The leading edges even though rounded will jab you if you don't have it in a holster leading to a little discomfort until you adjust it. Yet, it's still far better then the original guns (K9) which could literally cut you with their sharp edges. Another thing is the weight in comparison to say a K9 which I also have owned. I got to say even though the K9 is far more heavier then the TP9, the TP9 seems to have less felt recoil then the K9. The only thing that I can contribute to that is that the weight of the K9 is mostly in your hand while the TP9 seems to be slightly in front of it reducing muzzle flip. In addition, I would personally scrap the 3-dot sights that come on the TP for dot/post which originally came on the Kahr guns and if you wish night sights go with the XS System 24/7 (I prefer the small dot).

Another thing, I would stay away from rubber grip sleeves, they'll grap at your clothing showing that you have something under your shirt.

captorpedo
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I carried a PM9 for a few years. I've been carrying concealed for over ten years. The PM9 I carry in a Galco sto&go IWB holster at two O'clock. I have just recently bought a TP9 and I carry it in a CompTac Infidel IWB at three O'clock. The TP9 is like a new appendage to me. I feel naked without it. I love it. I carry it to the maximum extent possible and use it to shoot IDPA, IPSA AND STEEL CHALLENGE. I installed the Trijicon night sights on the TP because I don't care for the factory sites. The dot gets lost in the bar and I lose my vertical accuracy. The 4" barrel greatly improves my accuracy and the 8 round mag fits in the PM9. The longer grip on the TP is not a problem for me to conceal. I'm 5"9" and 170#. I just wear one size larger tee shirt like all the kids do and it disappears. I still carry the PM9 when clothing requires something smaller but I always have the 8 round TP mags for backup. I am all gunned up and not in the market for another pistol!

jocko
05-21-2010, 01:27 PM
How does the TP9 compare to the PM9 as far as concealability? I know you get 1" more barrel for probably 100 FPS more velocity & 1 more round for about 3 oz. more. I have the PM9 & love it, just have the bug for another gun. Does the TP9 shoot as well as the PM9?

PM9 is definitely pocketable, the TP9 is certainly not pocketable. That being said if your gonna waist band carry, go for the TP9. It should be a real shooter over the PM9 due to more barrel and more grip area also, Also 8 rd magazine. Nice gun, never have shot one or even seen one around my area as the pM9 seems to dominate.

My preference is the PM9 due to pocketable and not having to dress to carry either.:19:

Internally they are identical..both top quality..

Jeremiah/Az
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks all. I am going to try to find the TP9. If it is anything like my PM9 & P380, I gotta have one!