PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is your Kahr ?

texjack
06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
My K40 is the only semi-auto i've ever owned which has not jammed or failed to lock open on empty mag. I bought it used so I didn't have to worry about break in. 800 flawless rounds since I got my hands on it. The only exception was the time I filled the mag with 9mm, which chambered and fired, but wouldn't cycle (but that's another story). I cannot think of a more reliable handgun at any price! No matter what kind of ammo or how the gun is held, it just keeps on shooting and wanting more.

rglbegl
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Any top quality gun should be nearly flawless.
I am lovin my Kahr, it has been perfect so far.
To me, it is worth it to save up and get a well built firearm instead of buying inferior products.

The only exception is my Makarov. It was cheap, and it is the only gun I have ever owned that has Never failed in any way.

P-9
06-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Mine has been 100% Lost round count long ago but it looks and shoots like new and it is several years old.

ripley16
06-03-2010, 04:19 AM
I've had both good and bad experiences. Four of my Kahrs have been very reliable, producing one stovepipe in the thousands of rounds between them. However two of them were not. The unreliable Kahrs had a very high percentage of failures. They either work or they don't.

steve666
06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
I've not had a single problem with my K40 since I bought it new. The first thing I did was replace the springs with a Wolff kit before the first round was fired through it. I've had it over a year and a half now, it is my regular carry piece.1602

jocko
06-03-2010, 06:10 AM
I am not to happy with my PM9. It has 28,900 rounds through it and the damn gun just goes bang every time, Just don't know what to do about it!!! I think once it failed to lock open on the last round, or was that my g19, no maybe it was my Para carry 9. no now I know it was my Ruger MK II

recoilguy
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I have to agree. The Kahrs are very reliable handguns. Mine have been very user friendly and very fun to own.

RCG

sharpetop
06-06-2010, 08:44 AM
After a light strike issue early on, my CW9 has been 100%. I replaced the recoil spring and striker spring [no charge from Kahr] to remedy the light strike issue.

jlottmc
06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I too bought a P45 used, never an issue one. Damn thing just goes bang, dirty, limp wristed, questionable ammo, malfunctions I've TRIED to induce, just bang every time. Kinda boring really, just bang.

jreXD9
06-09-2010, 08:39 AM
PM9, CW9, CW45 ZERO issues. Pull trigger go bang. She bangs, she bangs.

O'Dell
06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
My K40 is the only semi-auto i've ever owned which has not jammed or failed to lock open on empty mag. I bought it used so I didn't have to worry about break in. 800 flawless rounds since I got my hands on it. The only exception was the time I filled the mag with 9mm, which chambered and fired, but wouldn't cycle (but that's another story). I cannot think of a more reliable handgun at any price! No matter what kind of ammo or how the gun is held, it just keeps on shooting and wanting more.

All eight of the pistols that I shoot regularly basically fall into that category. Both Kahrs, CW9 and PM45, both S&W's, M&P45 and Sigma 9mm, an XD45, and a 24/7 c 45 have been flawless. I had a few FTFeeds with my 30 year old SIG when I was experimenting to find a HP it would shoot, and my C9 doesn't like WWB. I found a HP the SIG likes and I don't buy WWB, so those problem are solved.

I don't keep guns that misbehave, period. In the last year, I have sold two pistols that weren't completely reliable - a PT745 that would fail to feed occasionally and a PF9 that was ammo finicky.

dusty78
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
i have owned 11 differen't Kahr Pistols and haven't had a failure in one yet.

PigButtons
06-12-2010, 09:05 PM
My PM9 has never had a failure of any kind. My PM45 didn't have 'the notch' and in the first 20 rounds it FTE''d twice. Sent mine to Kahr and got it back two weeks later with the tiniest notch imaginable. But it worked! 300 plus rounds since then and not one failure. I don't like to shoot the PM45 as much as the PM9, but I'd rather be carrying it if something ever happened where I needed one of them. The PM9 is mostly for days when I'm in shorts and a t-shirt.

ju7281
11-15-2013, 11:13 PM
I've had a K9 for a few years now, which is my primary carry weapon, and I've never had any problems with it. I bought the K9 because I like a heavier gun. I like the feel of it in my hand, I like the way it shoots, it's easy to draw from my FOBUS holster which I had to do a little Dremeling on to get it to fit right, and most of all, I like that there are no safeties. It's literally "point-and-shoot"! It was more expensive than some other models in its class, but I think it was worth it, because it's a real workhorse in my opinion. Plus, I just like the way it looks :)

ripley16
11-16-2013, 04:36 AM
How reliable is your Kahr ?
My first used K9 worked well. No problems.
The used T9 never missed a beat.
A used CW9 was a nightmare of light strikes.
The Second used K9 has been perfect but only put a few hundred rounds through it.
A used P45 had a feed problem. Jammed a lot. Original owner has problems too.
The new TP45 stovepiped about 1 in 20 rounds.
The used P9 has worked without any problems.
My favorite, the TP9 bought new, has been perfect

As you see my Kahr experience has been a mixed bag. New or used, some worked very well, some were a mess. The guns that function are perfect, no problem... period. The guns that missed, missed a lot, often and consistently infuriating. I like the guns but based on my experience I don't rate Kahr as well as some other brands I've owned.

skiflydive
11-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Both of them are 100%

FLBri
11-16-2013, 05:31 AM
my current stable has 5 Kahrs. Everyone of them are 100%. The first semi auto I ever owned (that I kept) is a PM9 Black Rose. Bought it new and it has never missed in any way. I've tried to limp it, shoot it upside down, shoot it with 2 fingers on the grip .... it refuses to fail.

Not all were perfect from the get go. I have an MK9 Elite that was tight for over 400 rounds (FTF, stove pipes, etc.) .... one trip back and lot's of shooting and it is 100% trustworthy as the PM9.

Like it has been said ... once they are good, they are good for life

muggsy
11-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Mine had the hiccups early on, but now it just belches fire and throws up empties. I tried bicarbonate of soda and that seems to have straightened it out. Zero defects since the break-in.

b4uqzme
11-16-2013, 07:31 AM
100%.

Goldstar225
11-16-2013, 08:03 AM
My K40 has been 100% reliable, very much unlike my previous jam-a-matic CW40.

berettabone
11-16-2013, 08:34 AM
I have never owned any firearm that I have had trouble with..............lucky? Maybe. My MK9 runs flawlessly.................

chrish
11-16-2013, 11:20 AM
3 Kahrs. PM9, P9, TP9. All 100% reliable, even during break-in period. Always go bang, dirty, clean, wet, dry. Whatever.

RxDoc
11-16-2013, 01:07 PM
My CM9 has been flawless since a stove top happened in the first 12rds shot-probably my fault anyway. Love the little pistol! Accurate-even at longer distances, lightweight, highly concealable, not ammo sensitive, and priced fairly. What more could one ask for?

JPM9
11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
I have a PM9 and it has been my favorite carry gun. For a small gun it is very accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot at the range too.

7shot
11-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I've had my K9 going on 3 yrs now and only have had 2 nosedives. I was using Gold Dot 147 gr HP's when it happened. Now I use 124 gr HP's and have had no problems since.

Longitude Zero
11-18-2013, 02:29 PM
With my CW45 I had one fail to feed in the first mag. Since then 1000+ trouble free rounds.

VN Vet
11-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I am simply in love with my TP45. Since I bought it back in July, I have not shot anything else nor carried anything else; and this comes from a Glock Lover.

My TP45 is accurate and dependable.

laserfish
11-21-2013, 02:47 PM
E9, K9 purchased used, T9 purchased new. Probably 1200 rounds through the three of them and never a problem. I am a lucky dog.

DubDubU
11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
cw9 perfect in 2000 rds
cm9 perfect in 0 rds

Mad Jack
11-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I had a problem early on, the slide would lock open. I told the good folks at Kahr what was happening. They sent me a slide stop spring and I haven't had any other problems since.
I bought the gun in 01. Hows that for a record?

TucsonMTB
11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
http://www.kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=103&pictureid=626

I am currently very happily alternating between these two PM40's and two lighter S&W J-frame revolvers that are legendary for reliability. The choice of what I carry usually depends on what I am wearing and where I am going.

Other than being heavier than the S&W J-frame revolvers, the Kahr PM40 remains my favorite pocket or waistband cannon. It never fails to deliver remarkable accuracy and is fun to shoot. Also, most 40 S&W ammunition packs more of a "punch" than .38 Special. :cool:

There have been no failures of any kind with either PM40 in the last thousand or more rounds through each. But, . . .

1. Some time ago, the top PM40 in this picture experienced a cracked frame that was replaced by Kahr under warranty, including shipping. All I paid for was the FFL fee, because of the new serial number.
2. The top PM40's worn magazine catch was replaced soon after it was returned from the frame repair. After an email discussion, Kahr reluctantly supplied the replacement part, completely eliminating unexpectedly magazine ejections.
3. All of my magazine followers have benefited from the modifications, first documented by Greg, to eliminate occasional nose dives and feed failures with some types of ammo. These mods were applied early in my "Kahr owner learning curve". Just to be sure, I no longer buy or shoot any of the problematic ammo.
4. After too many replacement followers to count, all supplied at no cost by Kahr, I figured the ends of the feed ramps were smashing into the followers and finally trimmed both ramps slightly. This completely eliminated the broken follower issues. I understand trimming your feed ramp is a service that Kahr will cheerfully perform for you if you are experiencing broken followers and request it. You will have to send in your pistol, which I was reluctant to do.
5. Finally, various parts in both guns have been polished and the extractor tensions have been adjusted by trimming the rear spacer in both extractor spring trains ever so slightly. All of which seems to have contributed to their currently buttery smooth operation.

Admittedly, my two frequently fired PM40's may not be typical and I may expect a higher level of smoothness and reliability than is necessary or even reasonable from a $600 plastic pistol.

Whatever . . . I feel the small effort required was well worthwhile. YMMV. ;)

Uhm . . . sorry for the long winded replay. I was bored. :o

cltyus1
11-22-2013, 01:08 AM
I've had at least 15 ftf in 250 rounds in my cw45, but haven't given up yet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

garyb
11-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Very much so.

harrydog
11-25-2013, 06:40 PM
My Kahrs have all be very reliable. My first K9 had over 700 rounds through it without a malfunction when I sold it.
My PM9 had just a couple of malfunctions in the very beginning but hasn't had any issues in the 400+ rounds since.
And because I regretted selling my K9 I bought another one last year and it hasn't had a single malfunction so far with about 600 rounds through it. I have really come to appreciate just how good the K9 is. One of my favorite guns ever and I've had quite a few.

queevil
12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
My first, a k40, stovepiped a round one time well after the break in period. I'm almost 100% it was my fault. I was at an indoor range. I stepped away from the range to give my hands a rest. When I returned to the firing bench I loaded my pistol and put on my safety glasses, aimed the pistol and fired. I nearly dropped the pistol when I fired it and temporarily lost most of my hearing. I had forgotten to insert the earplugs. The spent round was stovepiped. I assume that the unexpected volume of the muzzle blast startled me to the point that I limp wristed the pistol. That k40 never gave me a problem before or after that shot. I regret selling it.

My k40 covert, which I've owned for almost a year, has been flawless. It's an older one, made in '98. It doesn't look like it. This one's a keeper.