PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Night sights installed on PM9

border bandit32
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
can anyobody tell me a place to have meprolight night sites installed on my Kahr PM9...other than the Kahr factory..I have NO local gunsmith either!

jocko
09-19-2009, 02:29 PM
if u already have them , then try this fella, he is fast, he is super and he is reasonable\\

Accurate-Iron.com. tel lhim bernie sent u. Most all gander mountain stores are suppsoed to have some type of smitty, u might try there if there are any close by..

if u don't have the sites yourself, then indeed order them from kahr and just send in the slide which can be mailed regualr mail and pay them to do it. Kahr sights are a reall bugger to get off, even with a good sight pusher.

border bandit32
09-19-2009, 03:45 PM
if u already have them , then try this fella, he is fast, he is super and he is reasonable\\

Accurate-Iron.com. tel lhim bernie sent u. Most all gander mountain stores are suppsoed to have some type of smitty, u might try there if there are any close by..

if u don't have the sites yourself, then indeed order them from kahr and just send in the slide which can be mailed regualr mail and pay them to do it. Kahr sights are a reall bugger to get off, even with a good sight pusher.

The only thing I dont' understand about sending them to Kahr for installation is why they charge $25 for shipping???

The sights are reasonable $59 and $40 to install which is fine just don't like the high shipping cahrge???

jocko
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
The only thing I dont' understand about sending them to Kahr for installation is why they charge $25 for shipping???

The sights are reasonable $59 and $40 to install which is fine just don't like the high shipping cahrge???

they think you are sending them the entere gun which then willcost more to ship back due to it being a complete firearm. You could call and ask them about it to see what they say. $25 is to high for just the slide part, I still would let kahr do it un less u have the sights already..

shipwreck
09-20-2009, 06:18 AM
It's gonna cost you at least $25 for a smith to put them on.

jocko
09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
It's gonna cost you at least $25 for a smith to put them on.

every bit of that and alot depends on the difficulty ot taking off the old sights..

jimmer
09-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Kahr sights are in very tight. I had all the tools so I installed them myself, got lucky and didn't mar up the gun.

Doc Intrepid
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Kahr sights are in very tight. I had all the tools so I installed them myself, got lucky and didn't mar up the gun.Marring up the gun is one hazard - another is the fact that tritium sights can be somewhat fragile.

You may spend more money and time trying to recover from unintended consequences than to simply send the slide off to Kahr in the first place.

FWIW. YMMV.

Kahrdog
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Border Bandit, although it may cost a little more, I'd be sending it to Kahr, where they have the correct jig to do the job properly. I do think you'll be happy with the final result. Those are the sights I have and I really like them. You want to take advantage of every little edge you can get for the intended purpose of these guns. JMHO

Kahrdog

border bandit32
09-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Border Bandit, although it may cost a little more, I'd be sending it to Kahr, where they have the correct jig to do the job properly. I do think you'll be happy with the final result. Those are the sights I have and I really like them. You want to take advantage of every little edge you can get for the intended purpose of these guns. JMHO

Kahrdog

Kahrdog, I think you are right, sights on your daily CCW is no place to cut corners to try and save a few bucks!!

xzhync
01-05-2010, 08:07 PM

This question is for Jocko or anyone who is familiar with shipping items back to Kahr. Jocko you stated that the slide could be sent back via regular mail. Can you or someone confirm that. On the Kahr site it talks about having to use UPS or FedEx Air due to legal reasons. I am assuming that these rules only apply to sending in the complete pistol. I would like to use priority mail via USPS. Can anyone just confirm that this is ok.

Thanks!!!!!!

jocko
01-06-2010, 01:52 AM
absolutely, you can ship any part of a gun that is not serialized through regular U. S. mail.

When kahr states UPS OR FED X, they are referring to the entire gun going back, You can send just the slide to kahr to get night sights installed at a cost of about $5 to 8 bucks (insured). You call allow for return postage $10 and kahr will send it regular mail also. I sent my P380 slide to them for xs sights, I sent my PM9 slide) to a smitty in Oklahoma reglar mail.

It is 100% legal.

Now you cannot send the lower section/grip even by itself as it has the serial number on it and that cannot go through regular U. S. Mail. I have shipped many a gun through UPS and never had to devuldge what was in it, alot cheaper than overnite mail that UPS will require if you tellt hem it is a gun. that is UPS rules and they are hosing us gun owners. If they ever asked me what was in the package, I was just going to say a high speed hole punch. they never have. I never ship it to an address Like Kahr Arms. or Ruger Fireearms etc, . and never in a small ass box , shoe box size at least.
Let kahr install the night sights, you will never regret you did...

Dietrich
01-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Jocko is right.I got night sights installed back in November and I shipped the slide in the small flat rate box at the post office. Cost was around $5.00 for the box but you may want to insure it as well.:)

xzhync
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks Jocko and Dietrich. I am going to send the slide to Kahr today. I thought about having a local smitty do it, but don't want to take any chances. Sounds like the sites are in their very tight and I am not 100% sure that a smitty and a regular sight pusher is enough.

I am going to use the small Flat Rate box at the post office. I just wrapped the slide in several layers of bubble wrap. I am going to ship it to Kahr, but will use K.A.I instead of 'Kahr Arms' on the shipping label. Jocko I like your idea of calling it a 'high speed hole punch'. I know it is just a slide, but I don't want to get anyone worked up at the post office.

According to Kahr customer service the turnaround for installation is about 3 days. I figure, with shipping times, that it will take about 10 to 14 days in total to get it back. I don't like to be without the use of the pistol, but I'll just have to rely on my Ruger LCP for a week or two. Thanks again for your help and advice.

luka
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Just sent my PM9 off today to have Meprolight Sights put on, sent by UPS will have by Wed, Before they (Kahr) calls me do you agree these are the best for old eyes? They seem to be good for the range.

I wish they would just put Nights Sights on all there guns and just add a slight charge, I know some people like other sights but you could always change them, but, the chance if you have them on your gun you won,t.:behindsofa:

ltxi
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Used to prefer Tijicon. no longer. Current Mepros are excellent and relatively cheap....and I definitely have old eyes.

In-Yo-Grill
01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Used to prefer Tijicon. no longer. Current Mepros are excellent and relatively cheap....and I definitely have old eyes.

I'm with you. The new Mepro's compared side by side look better to me than the Trijicon's. Great product for the money.

Zippo Guy
01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I just got my slide back on my CW 9 with the night sights installed by Kahr. No break on the $25 for shipping when I asked. Looks great and shoots straight. I'm happy.

packinaglock
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I had my local gunshop install my new XS Big Dots for me.

Kahrdog
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Border Bandit, let us know what you think of the sights when you get them back. I think you'll like them. I like mine better, even in broad daylight. :)

border bandit32
01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Love the Mepros !!!!!!!!i think they make a great CCW (the PM9) even better. Man am I glad i bougth me a PM9....it is my favorite 9mm I have ever owned...including my Sigs, Glocks, Rugers, etc....

TxKahr
01-19-2010, 08:09 PM
+1 on the Meprolights. I have them on my Glock 26 and I am thinking about adding them to my PM9. They work great in the daytime and in low light situations.

TxKahr

luka
01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Just received my PM9 slide back with Meprolight sights, what a difference, all PM9 pistols should just come with these sights. $124.00 out the Door and worth every penny. Kahr was great with service and shipping.

G26ster
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Just received my PM9 slide back with Meprolight sights, what a difference, all PM9 pistols should just come with these sights. $124.00 out the Door and worth every penny. Kahr was great with service and shipping.

I know the Meprolight sights are $59, and Kahr charges $25 to ship back. Are you saying that Kahr charged you $40 labor to install? Just want to confirm.

a.squibload
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Old thread maybe, but I need the practice.

Jocko - high speed hole punch? Love it!

Alternative method: find a 4WD shop. I'm in a 4WD club, one of our members has a
Harbor Freight hydraulic press. Even with lube the front sight was TIGHT! (PM40)
Had to cut it with a dremel, touched the slide but the new sight covers the mark.
Trick to installing is to find/grind a suitable piece of scrap to put the force on the side of the _bottom_
of the sight, not on the blade. It's not very thick. I even filed off some of the new sight to get it in the
dovetail on the slide. Use WD40, it will evaporate, and the fit is so tight it won't matter.

Check original sight, mine was centered in the slide (equal space on each side) and
shot right on, so that's where we put the Meprolights. Shoots good!

Local Gander wanted $65 to install, I asked if he had a press, he said "No, but the one
I tried before came out OK". Wouldn't tell me how he did it.