PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new AO M1 Carbine

PaiN
06-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Wow, I'm shocked and proud with myself :yo:
I've been preening over the M1 Carbines for a long time.....all weekend I've been back and forth going over the pros & cons and pretty much over thinking the whole situation....(you know what I'm talking about)
I finally just pulled the trigger and bought myself one.
The rifle is from Bud's Gun's NIB, walnut with one 15r mag. I purchased two additional 15r mags and a GI sling/oilier to go with it. Its going to be a fun retro shooter

pics to come

jlottmc
06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Actually, if critters are a problem then it will do well on them out to about 125 yds. Winchester makes SXT's in that caliber, and would make a dandy in the house rifle, plus those are just plain fun to shoot.

PaiN
06-06-2010, 12:43 PM
No doubt j.....these carbines could have lots of uses, but mostly its for fun.....and to see that "Oh S**T!" look on my pop's face when he comes up from FL this summer ;)

Bawanna
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
No doubt j.....these carbines could have lots of uses, but mostly its for fun.....and to see that "Oh S**T!" look on my pop's face when he comes up from FL this summer ;)

Have someone standing by with a camera. I bet there will be a huge "Oh S**t Look".
Your gonna have a blast with that thing. Imagine the look on pop's face if you showed him yours and then handed him his own?:D Had to put that just in case my kids ever read this stuff.
I have an original one that I cherish, I know I can shoot it carefully without kicking history in the teeth but been thinking on one of the AO ones so I don't have to worry so much. Funny I just saw this thread and I was holding mine about a half hour ago moving some stuff around. Sweet rifles.

johnh
06-06-2010, 02:21 PM
They are really fun guns. I sold one years back but kept the ammo knowing i would have one again. Got an AO Paratrooper now and have not had a chance to shoot it. I bought ten Korean 30 rounders for $9.95 each. Should be a nice package for my son when he is old enough.

John

PaiN
06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I bought a couple of the 15r Korean mags from CTD(I should get a few more at price they are at....)

On that note, any good source for .30carbine ammo? What do these AOs like to eat?

jlottmc
06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
More magazines are ALWAYS a good idea. I haven't played with the AO's yet, but if they are like the originals, then anything SAAMI spec should be fine. Most all of the ammo for them is ball anyway. Winchester is the only HP I know of. I would check CTD for the feeding requirements.

jocko
06-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Have someone standing by with a camera. I bet there will be a huge "Oh S**t Look".
Your gonna have a blast with that thing. Imagine the look on pop's face if you showed him yours and then handed him his own?:D Had to put that just in case my kids ever read this stuff.
I have an original one that I cherish, I know I can shoot it carefully without kicking history in the teeth but been thinking on one of the AO ones so I don't have to worry so much. Funny I just saw this thread and I was holding mine about a half hour ago moving some stuff around. Sweet rifles.

to have a new rock ola M! that I got throught he NRA DCM program back 40+ years ago. I still remember the cost was $20 and they guarantee you nothing except an original, might be very used to new. Darn If I did not get abrand new on still packed in cosmo even. Kept if for about 10 years and then sold it for reasons I knownot why. backthen they were very plentiful but only one per NRA member if I remember..

PaiN
06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
More magazines are ALWAYS a good idea. I haven't played with the AO's yet, but if they are like the originals, then anything SAAMI spec should be fine. Most all of the ammo for them is ball anyway. Winchester is the only HP I know of. I would check CTD for the feeding requirements.
CTD is out of any .30carbine :(, but there is plenty around, Cabelas has the Herter's @ $149/500
Cabela's -- Herter's .30 Carbine Ammunition with Dry Box (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0074339217258a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=.30+carbine&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0)

I'll post a range report as soon as I can shoot it.

jlottmc
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
You might also try Sportsman's Guide Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) I think I remember seeing some there today. But in any event, like you said it shouldn't be too hard to find some.

PaiN
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
:faint2: ewww....my M1 has shipped :faint2:

I picked a few boxes of Wolf and Remington 110g to test out @ $20/50. I've also found a local "Mad Scientist"(I'm serious) reloader who's going to do up some 130g loads with his secret mojo formula to try out(OMG :rolleyes:), he'll also do the standard 110g and insists he makes me some boxes of 110g tracers ...wwweeee. All I can shoot @ $13/50....If I don't blow me up, I'll get well stocked.
Time to get more of those Korean mags.

PaiN
06-14-2010, 04:15 AM
The rifle arrives at the FFL today, I likely won't be picking it up until later in the week on Wednesday.
I don't belong to a "club", I mostly shoot at in-door pistol ranges. Well, I tried to plead my case at the main haunt to allow me to shoot .30carbine.....I almost had them convinced, but the owner stepped-in and reversed saying he did want to start stretching his ".22lr rifles only" rule at the range, they had just put the nix on a customer who wanted to shoot a .22magnum rifle :(

Here's my big plan...I'm going to acquire a basic Ruger 10/22 and convert it into a practice M1 Carbine using this kit from E. Arthur Brown
http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm
Then I can rifle practice indoor or out....

PaiN
06-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Holy Hell!!! :D These rifles are great shooters! I picked it up today and brought it too a friend's farm/private range for some "free" shooting. This rifle was good to go out of the box. I started with 50 rounds of Wolf to break-in but the thing was grouping tight as a drum at 50y with irons. So we started testing my bud's reloads(he had some crazy stuff in .30carbine) some of the SWC and HPs it didn't like, but it ran all ball and SP perfectly. This Carbine's handling is unbelievable, its as easy to shoot off-hand as supported. Just over 150 rounds in, Dr. ReLoad.. :mad: forgot powder in a round and it squibed. I didn't have a rod so we spent the rest of the the time with pistols.
Back home it came out easy.....These AO clones are a quality, highly accurate rifle....the wood is even very nice looking
some quick pics I took:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02639.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02637.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02636.jpg

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Pretty piece of wood on that bad boy. Looks really good.

PaiN
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Pretty piece of wood on that bad boy. Looks really good.

Just like its owner ..... :rolleyes:

jlottmc
06-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I won't go there on the owner, but that is a sexy rifle. Love the wood.

O'Dell
06-19-2010, 11:53 AM
A couple of years ago I thought about buying one just for fun. I don't keep up with long guns, and I still remembered when you could pick up an M-1 Carbine for $150 in good shape. [about 30 years ago] Wow, did I get a fast education! I even checked the facility over in Anniston, AL, but what they had were mostly shot out and still expensive. I ended up picking up a Hi-Point Carbine.

PaiN
06-20-2010, 05:43 AM
A couple of years ago I thought about buying one just for fun. I don't keep up with long guns, and I still remembered when you could pick up an M-1 Carbine for $150 in good shape. [about 30 years ago] Wow, did I get a fast education! I even checked the facility over in Anniston, AL, but what they had were mostly shot out and still expensive. I ended up picking up a Hi-Point Carbine.
When I first saw an AO M1 Carbine in a local shop they had a price on it of $760+tax right next to it was a GI Winchester M1 Carbine, which to me looked well used...the asking price on this rifle was $1500+tax!
I did have one of those H-P 9mm Carbines awhile back. Neat gun, but it wasn't very reliable and had to go back for repair.

Bawanna
06-20-2010, 10:05 AM
When I first saw an AO M1 Carbine in a local shop they had a price on it of $760+tax right next to it was a GI Winchester M1 Carbine, which to me looked well used...the asking price on this rifle was $1500+tax!
I did have one of those H-P 9mm Carbines awhile back. Neat gun, but it wasn't very reliable and had to go back for repair.

History and original adds alot to value but doesn't do one little bit towards shooting fun and general good time.
I think you done real good on this one. I have an original Quality Hardware & Machine M1 Carbine in pristine condition only cause it was gifted to me. I'd never come up with the jingle to buy one. Even with it on hand to fondle at my every whim I'm anxious to get one like yours, hopefully as pretty and I'll feel way more comfy taking it out for a dance as often as I can. With mine I feel like Patton's looking over my shoulder and the slightest scratch and I'm toast.
Enjoy.

PaiN
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm anxious to get one like yours, hopefully as pretty
I was at the shop today where I saw that AO M1...There it was(or it may have been another) I did notice the wood on this one and it had that very nice gain and pattern as mine, I'd say the current stock of AO's has good wood.
In fact, if you would like to get the one on the rack I saw today...contact, "Riverview Sales" in East Windsor, CT via Gunbroker.com

jeep45238
06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks nice, glad to hear it runs well (except for the .006% reloading powder failure and non-ball profile projectiles).

Now you've gotta get on getting a 10/22 outfitted with this stock for some cheap practice:

M1 Carbine Ruger 10/22 Tribute - An M1 Carbine Replica Stock for the Ruger 10/22 with Sling, Oiler, and Military Style Sights (http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm)

http://www.eabco.com/CartImages/Ruger1022/M1CarbineUS.gif
http://www.eabco.com/CartImages/Ruger1022/M1Carbine1022Left.gif
Then you've gotta get to an Appleseed.

The USGI carbines are fun as the dickens. As much as I'd love to have one, I can't justify it unless it's a M2 carbine :D

Just a word of caution from a reloader - don't get tempted by cheap reloads. They're often cheap for a reason, and if it's a mad scientist loading they're going to be using you and your firearm to push envelopes when there's no need for it. If it's not within spec, don't load it, it's not worth it. If ya want more oomph, move up to a M1 rifle :D

P.S. Does the Kahr model of the M1 take USGI parts?

PaiN
06-21-2010, 04:00 AM
jeep...didn't I post the link to E.Arthur Brown and the M1 Tribute setup in this thread somewhere....?
btw, this will be my next purchase with the Techsights 100, I need\want it because I shoot mostly at indoor ranges that do not allow rifles other than .22lr and this setup will be great to keep up practice.

I've known the "Mad Scientist" for years and his work is good and always "to spec", its just that he experiments with odd ball loads for his guns. I will get some loads from him but do plan to stock up on commercial stuff also. Next time I take it out I'm strictly running hq brass Remmy or AE 110g ball and really ring the gun out for accuracy.

Bawanna
06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
jeep...didn't I post the link to E.Arthur Brown and the M1 Tribute setup in this thread somewhere....?
btw, this will be my next purchase with the Techsights 100, I need\want it because I shoot mostly at indoor ranges that do not allow rifles other than .22lr and this setup will be great to keep up practice.

I've known the "Mad Scientist" for years and his work is good and always "to spec", its just that he experiments with odd ball loads for his guns. I will get some loads from him but do plan to stock up on commercial stuff also. Next time I take it out I'm strictly running hq brass Remmy or AE 110g ball and really ring the gun out for accuracy.

Yup you did for sure. My wife is not fond of you right at this moment. She knows when she finds printouts lying all over the house for certain guns and/or parts that they will soon materialize and right now theres a profusion of E. Arthur Brown printouts all over. Even though my 10/22 is pretty tricked out with a heavy barrel and thumbhole stock etc it will be looking like an M1 Carbine one day soon. I want the sights too and the sling and the oiler. I want, I want, I want.
Best steer clear of my wife for a while till the smoke dies down though, I think your on her list, course I've spent alot of time on the list myself. Not fun but I survive.
Jeep's advise on others reloads is sound, it's your buddy, if you have faith in him it's your call. I don't shoot anyone elses reloads at all. Funny though I offer my reloads to others with the recommendation not too. You just never know, lots of things can go bad especially if your pushing the envelope which I would not do with your new baby. Stoke it perhaps but don't push it.

PaiN
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
My wife is not fond of you right at this moment.
yes I'm sure....her and a thousand other woman :D

A man needs his toys and if a man does not get them, then he's not happy and when a man's not happy a toilet seat is gonna get left up.....
So tell her to chill, before she gets a wet, cold butt in the middle of the night

Bawanna
06-21-2010, 12:40 PM
yes I'm sure....her and a thousand other woman :D

A man needs his toys and if a man does not get them, then he's not happy and when a man's not happy a toilet seat is gonna get left up.....
So tell her to chill, before she gets a wet, cold butt in the middle of the night

I'll leave your message written with letters cut out of the newspaper for her to find, I ain't telling her that in person, not a chance. I'm just not ready for the obits just yet.
Not that I dont totally agree with you in every detail. I shouldn't whine, I have many toys, and many more wanted toys and when I decide it's time they are mine. I've always maintained that if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. Usually. Well maybe sometimes.

PaiN
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey Bawanna.....you want to know all the excellent things I'm being told about the Tribute stock and especially the Techsights....?? :cool:

Bawanna
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Bawanna.....you want to know all the excellent things I'm being told about the Tribute stock and especially the Techsights....?? :cool:

You betcha! Do we need to invent a windtalker code or can it publically revealed. I think Jocko was one of them windtalker dudes, might help.
I got a serious feeling that stock is quickly moving right up to must have now status...................................

PaiN
06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
You betcha! Do we need to invent a windtalker code
do you Spreek Nederlands? ;)

De Techsights is ontzagwekkend, enige van de nauwkeurigste ijzers die verkrijgbaar zijn voor geweren. ...The hout van het huldeaandeel zijn uitstekende kwaliteit met een prefectaanval, die heel, heel veel voelt zoals een M1 Karabijn. U wilt krijg deze ...badly....now het...

Bawanna
06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
do you Spreek Nederlands? ;)

De Techsights is ontzagwekkend, enige van de nauwkeurigste ijzers die verkrijgbaar zijn voor geweren. ...The hout van het huldeaandeel zijn uitstekende kwaliteit met een prefectaanval, die heel, heel veel voelt zoals een M1 Karabijn. U wilt krijg deze ...badly....now het...

I'm thinking Nederland ain't one of my strong suits but ironically I seem to pick up a couple key words here less the fine print and it sounds like they are awesome. IE, prefectaanval, that's just gotta be a good thing.
U wilt krijg deze, I'm think means I'll dig this totally.
Badly.....now het has gotta be quit whining and order the darn things.
Am I close.
We had a french girl in high school but all I got out of here was parlevoo ahumma humma. Didn't pursue it when I saw she always carried a white flag with her. Go figure.

PaiN
06-22-2010, 03:56 AM
B...I might now get back in your wife's good graces.
I've had a change of heart on this 10/22 Tribute build...I was looking over some more reviews of it and somehow got to watching vids on other .22lr rifles. I then realized(since I don't own a 10/22) will cost between $450-500 by the time all is said and done, base rifle + trigger work + Tribute stock + Techsight + mag. The design of a basic .22lr like a Marlin 60 / 795, the Remmy 597 or even a 10/22 isn't that different from a M1 Carbine to start with.....I can get a Marlin 795 for $150-200(maybe less if I can find a sale) and slap on a set of Techsights for $60 (http://www.tech-sights.com/) shoot it right out of the box getting just the same practice benefit and saving hundreds.

PaiN
07-10-2010, 05:54 AM
I want to update this because I'm extremely happy with my pick for use as a practice and liberty training rifle. I went with the Marlin 795 and Tech-Sights, this setup is an unreal bargain which out shoots and out handles any stock 10/22 I've ever used.
First total cost: (I found the rifle NIB on sale at D**k's Sporting Goods, the prices include shipping, tax and all rebates)
Marlin 795= $85, Tech-Sights=$75, (2)extra 10r mags=$41, web sling(not in pics)=$15
total= $216

The pics:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02657.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02659.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02658.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02662.jpg

Bawanna.....your wife has got to be okay with a mere $216....right? ;)

jeep45238
07-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Good choice on the LTR. Make sure to practice the mag changes with 'em, it's not the easiest to change out, but it sure is fast to get the bolt back into action :)

Bawanna
07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Bawanna.....your wife has got to be okay with a mere $216....right?

Yeah she said you were ok. I asked for one myself and got the look:eek:

I have to go look in the mirror and see if theres any laser holes in my chest. I feel no pain but one never knows.

PaiN
07-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Hey...I know we are a long way off but I actually wanted to talk about ....amazingly the AO M1 Carbine ;)
Since I've had it awhile now, I'd like to talk about how impressed I am with it.
This little rifle runs like champ, handles like a dream...and shoots like a laser. Its accuracy has been the most impressive from the first shot I took with it. I'm no trained marksman and I've been shooting mostly a friend's reloads(I'm not sure of the load, he tells me they are to spec. and using 110g FMJ and SP)but rifle keeps popping the rounds out and putting them on target.
Here's a typical 5shot grouping I can do with this M1 off a seated bench, wood block fore-end prop, iron sights @ 100yrs.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/DSC02845.jpg