PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Media

AIRret
05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I have been using corn as my tumbling media, but today I tumbled with walnut for the first time.
I didn't like it because it is really dirty.

What do you folks use and what do you like?

Bawanna
05-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I've been using reptile bedding from a pet store, last a long time and seems to work well.

I add a bit of liquid car wax, I use Turtle Wax Ice, but others have been mentioned as well.

You might try throwing in a couple of them dryer sheets that take away static cling in the dryer. Used ones work fine, don't have to be new.

They seem to attract and collect the fine dust and you can just toss em.

Works pretty well too.

AIRret
05-14-2014, 03:41 PM
The stuff I have is called walnut litter, and I do use car polish and dryer sheets.
Those were some suggestions I received when we first started reloading and they do help.

It just seems that this bag (might be the brand) of walnut is very dirty. It works but when it's gone I'll go back to corn.

I don't change the media often. I'm guessing I tumble about 7,000 pieces of brass before I change the media.
Of corse that's dependent on how dirty the brass is. Sometimes, brass from
outdoor ranges pick up more dirt etc.

Thanks for the reply

garyb
05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
I purchased a Cabela's tumbler that came with media and polish. I believe it is walnut. It is dusty and dirty, but the polish tones it down. It works, but there may be better media out there. I have not tried anything else, as I have a substantial quantity that will last for a while. I am aware that corn can contain fungus, that can lead to other skin issues if you are sensitive. However, I don't know how much, if any, an issue this may pose. If it works, use it.

Good advice about the dryer sheets to control static. Learned something today. Thanks Bawanna. I have noticed static in my tumbler.

AIRret
05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
I purchased a Cabela's tumbler that came with media and polish. I believe it is walnut. It is dusty and dirty, but the polish tones it down. It works, but there may be better media out there. I have not tried anything else, as I have a substantial quantity that will last for a while. I am aware that corn can contain fungus, that can lead to other skin issues if you are sensitive. However, I don't know how much, if any, an issue this may pose. If it works, use it.

Good advice about the dryer sheets to control static. Learned something today. Thanks Bawanna. I have noticed static in my tumbler.

That's interesting!
When using the corn I didn't notice any skin issues. But then again I'm not even allergic to poison ivory or poison oak.
However, I do know that eventually a person will become allergic if you are exposed enough (whatever that is)>

pbagley
05-14-2014, 06:38 PM
I use corn cob media for handgun brass. For .223 I size and decap first and walnut hulls is finer and does not get as much stuck in the primer pockets and flash holes.

Media conditioning - I've used Brasso instead of car wax. Let it dry before use or you end up with media stuck inside your cases. I've never ran media for only 7000 cases. Usually a lot more than that, but only 200-300 at a time. Never had a fungus problem.

leftysixty
05-15-2014, 12:31 AM
I've been using reptile bedding from a pet store, last a long time and seems to work well.

I add a bit of liquid car wax, I use Turtle Wax Ice, but others have been mentioned as well.

You might try throwing in a couple of them dryer sheets that take away static cling in the dryer. Used ones work fine, don't have to be new.

They seem to attract and collect the fine dust and you can just toss em.

Works pretty well too.

I'll second the reptile bedding, I use Berry's brass cleaner (just a dab'll do ya), and I'm too lazy to add the dryer sheets.

I try to get the big chunks out'a the brass by shaking them in a big screen basket, before tumbl'n.:D:D

downtownv
05-15-2014, 02:13 AM
I have both:
the walnut/USED-dryer sheets/And "NU-FINISH"car wax
I use this for cleaning dirty brass. The USED dryer sheets capture the dirt and dust that the media has tumbled off the brass. I go to my local laundry mat and grab all the USED dryer sheets you could want and will throw "strips" of them in the tumbler with no brass to clean up my media.
This cleans the best

I also have corn(Stinks). I used this for polishing my finished reloaded ammo.

AIRret
05-15-2014, 05:12 AM
I have both:
the walnut/USED-dryer sheets/And "NU-FINISH"car wax
I use this for cleaning dirty brass. The USED dryer sheets capture the dirt and dust that the media has tumbled off the brass. I go to my local laundry mat and grab all the USED dryer sheets you could want and will throw "strips" of them in the tumbler with no brass to clean up my media.
This cleans the best

I also have corn(Stinks). I used this for polishing my finished reloaded ammo.

I also noticed that the corn makes the brass shinier.

CJB
05-15-2014, 06:41 AM
When I was doing commerical reloading, loading the recycled range lead and brass back into range reloads, walnut media was the media of choice. It basically cut the crud the fastest.

If you add a little mineral spirits or similar, it will keep the dust down. You can add just a bit of abrasive to it, if you feel so inclined, like red auto compound. Once the brass starts to self impregnate into the shells, it cuts upon itself very nicely and the media will last a very very long time, and cut like crazy.

I used that in the big drum tumbler (25lbs of media plus brass), and in vibratory units like the small Lyman one. They worked equally well with walnuts.

muggsy
05-15-2014, 10:33 AM
For those of you who use walnut media it's available from Harbor Freight in both course and fine grades for $24.99 for 25 pounds.That probably a life time supply for most shooters. They also sell polishing compound to rejuvenate the media when it gets old. I wish that they had something to rejuvenate me.

Bawanna
05-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Just remember Muggsy, your only as old as you feel. Sadly today according to my hands I'm 96. Not even cloudy or damp, what's up with that?

leftysixty
05-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Just remember Muggsy, your only as old as you feel. Sadly today according to my hands I'm 96. Not even cloudy or damp, what's up with that?

The change in weather causes the pain, not the weather:mad:

"I" don't feel old, but every time I try to act "not old" my body says "Hey what ya think yer do'n stupid?":rolleyes: :D:D

:amflag:

CC Hoosier
05-29-2014, 07:53 PM
I soak my brass in vinegar and water and tumble it with my hands for a minute or two. I roll them in a towel then put them in a toaster oven at 150 degrees for 20 minutes. They will completely dry out overnight. They come out clean and shiny!

Tilos
05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Yep add some OMS but before that pour the media between 2 containers, outside when there's a light breeze to get rid of the dust
:D

AIRret
05-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Yep add some OMS but before that pour the media between 2 containers, outside when there's a light breeze to get rid of the dust
:D

Good idea, next time I replace my media (in a year or two) I'll have to try that.

After about 4 batches of brass my media is no longer dusty. I could have avoided the issue had I tried your technique. Live and learn.

Bawanna
05-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Ok OMS? I read back a couple times, I don't get OMS, what the hell is OMS?

You wicked smart folks sometimes drive me crazy with your code talk for us simple minded folk.

AIRret
05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Ok OMS? I read back a couple times, I don't get OMS, what the hell is OMS?

You wicked smart folks sometimes drive me crazy with your code talk for us simple minded folk.

I think it might be something like; Ovamit's Mother S?????????

Tilos
05-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Sorry:
Odorless Mineral Spirits (OMS), paint dept, Walmart, or anywhere.
If you like the stink, get paint thinner :D
or use diesel fuel:yo:

TheLastDaze
08-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I use lizard bedding from pet store (walnut media) and NU Finish.... We don't use dryer sheets, have to talk to the wife about that...

maybe I'll go by a laundry mat adn try that..

what do you do with the diesel fuel again??? I have couple gallons of that on hand...

will also check out HF sometime, doubt I'll be needing media for a LOOOONNGG time though

Boom
09-09-2014, 06:44 PM
I use white rice. When the brass is really dirty i add a teaspoon of turtle wax the the rice and let it run for ten minutes before adding the brass. No dust to speak of.

marshal kane
10-09-2014, 08:40 AM
I use two vibratory tumblers. One with walnut media to get rid of the crud quickly. Right after the walnut tumbling is when I clean primer pockets, resize and bell case mouths (if needed). The other tumbler has corn media and Flitz polish for that final shine. I use the tumblers weekly as that is how often I shoot. Media is changed about annually.

mr surveyor
10-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I use H2O and citric acid :)

downtownv
10-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Walnut with some dryer sheets tossed in (used and cut into strips)
Then after loading the reloads tumble in corn (second tumbler)

Bills1873
04-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Anybody try a rotary tumbler with the tiny stainless steel pins?

Potato
04-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi, New guy here. But i do use the Thumler's Tumbler. I love it! I do use the Stainless Media. Also i use Dawn and Lemon Shine. Then dry on a homemade rack. I'm in Tampa so it doesn't take too long. Brass comes out looking Factory Fresh!

JimBianchi
04-08-2015, 09:53 PM
I just went through this polishing media issue last month.

My solution was Stainless Steel. Two hours and I get the filthiest brass looking new and it drys in the sun in about two hours, same time it takes a second batch to tumble.

I only wish I'd made the move sooner.

marshal kane
04-21-2015, 08:28 AM
As for drying racks for washed brass, I find the plastic cartridge holders that come in the factory boxes to be excellent for drying. Just make sure the holders are open on the bottom so water can drain out. As for drying, an hour in the Arizona sun makes the brass come out hot and bone dry.

TD2K
06-29-2015, 07:34 AM

I do, works great. and can reuse them over and over and over. pins, water, a bit of dawn liquid dishwashing soap, and a tiny bit of "lemi shine"
Brass comes out looking brand new

Curious Carl
07-26-2015, 06:08 PM
I made a wet tumbler, last batch was about 1300 or 1400 9 mm with stainless steel media, dawn dish soap and lemishine. I decap first and it cleans the primer pockets perfectly, also the inside of the cases are like new clean. I don't think cleaning makes one bit of difference functionally. Made the tumbling barrel out of 6" PVC with one end capped and the other reduced down to 4" and use a rubber cap and a clamp to seal it. The pins are magnetic and they make a magnetic wand sort of tool but with the ability to retract the magnet releasing the pins where you want. I'd recommend buying a smaller commercial wet tumbler, they are easier and cheaper --- they weren't available when I made mine. Was fun making it though! No dust of course. Reloads look like new brass -- they claim no deterioration of brass. Interestingly if you throw in the rustiest bolt it comes out like new. Hope this helps.

onebigelf
01-22-2021, 05:54 PM

I switched to a Harbor Freight tumbler and steel pins about 6 month ago. A squirt of dawn and a couple of tablespoons of Iosso Brass Case Cleaner.
I'm never going back to dry media. Ever.

John

Canine Dave
01-23-2021, 08:40 AM
I have an awful lot of spare time on my hands lately but I still don't like to waste it making brass look like jewelry.

Bawanna
01-29-2021, 05:50 PM
I just plugged in my National Metallic rotary tumbler that I received from Midway yesterday. I put several hundred each of 45acp and 45 Colt in it. Says it will hold 1000 223. I probably should have got the smaller version but this will work fine.
I did what others here suggested and put a little Dawn and some Lemi Shine, probably too much of each now that it's spinning but we'll see.
The 45acp had been through my vibrator tumbler and looked ok but not jewelry, the 45 Colt was filthy dirty so we'll see how it turns out.
Oh I put in 2 1/2 lb's of stainless steel pins in there too. The Tumbler said to use 5 lb's but again I think it'll be ok.

DJK11
01-30-2021, 05:16 AM
Decap before cleaning makes a big difference. I dump the brass in a coffee can, cover it with white vinegar(cheaper than apple cider) and Lemishine then soak for an hour or so while walking the dog. Drain and rinse, dry them out then walnut shell tumble.

For case lube I mix rubbing alcohol and a very small amount of hand cream. Shake it up in a pump spray bottle.

Bawanna
02-13-2021, 05:37 PM
Todays lesson for running the wet tumbler with steel pins. DO NOT mix cases that will fit inside each other. I had a hunch they would do like a vibrator tumble and get stuck together but of course I had to make sure. I put 44, 44 special, 38 and 357 and of course a whole lot of them stuck together trapping the pins inside, so I got a lot of sorting to do.
Snowed in and coming down hard now so guess it's a fine day for it.
On the bright side, it came out looking real pretty.

I put it in all mixed up as it had to be sorted out anyhow.

Robin 101
03-03-2021, 07:27 AM
I use the walnuts, but all the guy's around here that reload have switched to the wet tumble with stainless steel needles. I have to admit, it does a super job! Though while they are waiting for things to dry, I'm out shooting!;)
Robin

340pd
03-03-2021, 11:05 AM
I have an awful lot of spare time on my hands lately but I still don't like to waste it making brass look like jewelry.

Amen bother. I load one caliber of mixed range brass at a time in a very old Midway tumbler filled with Lizard litter from the pet store and a cap or two of NuShine and mineral spirits.
I used to decap first and at the time I was using Lyman walnut media and the media would get stuck in the primer pocket. That practice lasted about a month and for the last 50 years no trimming of handgun cases, no decaping, and no reaming of the primer pockets.
One more thing, everything on a single stage Pacific press bought in the 1960's.

Canine Dave
03-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Yep, that's me.