PDA

View Full Version : Belly Band holster for PM9?

kb2wji
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I ride a mountain bike, and like to carry while i'm riding. I'm looking for options for carry that are a little better than an IWB el-cheapo holster. I like the concept of the belly band holster. Ideally I would like something similar, but with some sort of thumb break. How secure are these? Comfort? Anyone with any experience? Thanks!!

cgo99
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Funny you mention it, I was looking at the same concept for my bike. So far this is the only thing that I've found that looks promising, but then again I don't know anything about it.
Let me know what you think.....
Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns (http://www.pistolwear.com/index.htm)

Bawanna
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I ride a mountain bike, and like to carry while i'm riding. I'm looking for options for carry that are a little better than an IWB el-cheapo holster. I like the concept of the belly band holster. Ideally I would like something similar, but with some sort of thumb break. How secure are these? Comfort? Anyone with any experience? Thanks!!

I used one years ago, I think it was a Galco? It was the typical nylon setup. Being smaller thru the waist area in those days it was nice because I could carry lots of other stuff as well as the gun.
I would think it would work well on a bike. Theres sweat issues of course since your mtn bike don't got a harley engine but cleaning at the end of the day and perhaps a bit extra lube would deal with that. Most bike riders I see, not mtn bikes but the ones that ride 4 abreast blocking traffic with little mirrors on their helmets so they can see how ticked off drivers are or to watch for me, wear tight outfits but have buldges all over them which I assume are drinks, energy bars and kahrs.
A relative loose shirt over it makes it easier to get at the important stuff but like any hiding setup it won't be a quick draw rig, nor does it have to be. The big plus is we didn't have PM9's in those days and as I recall I mostly carried my Colt Cobra so the PM9 should be easy.

jlottmc
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I've used and still have a belly band. I found that for me they put a little too much pressure on the lower abdomen, and for some reason I always end up with the squirts when I wear it. They do fit tight enough that a retention strap while a nice feature may not be needed. (bluestone defense makes one like that), the thing I like is that on mine which is not a brand, but one I got at a gun show, is that though it is a very thin leather, there is leather covering a majority of my guns (I carry the big 'uns in it too). I haven't had a problem with sweat through on my belly band like I do with my current tuckables. In heat they may be a bit uncomfortable, but do able.

Bawanna
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Mine is all nylon with lots of velcro. Infinitely adjustable so you can make it as tight or loose as you desire.

jlottmc
06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I have a limited range of adjustment. I can make it loose, but then the thing falls off. I tighten it up and it works especially if I stay away from brocolli...

kb2wji
06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I appreciate the input!! I dig the description of the road bikers :) I cringe thinking about road biking (unless its on my Honda VFR). I'm all about the trails on a man-powered bike :) I'm going to pick one up, and i'll keep everyone posted.

Bawanna
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I appreciate the input!! I dig the description of the road bikers :) I cringe thinking about road biking (unless its on my Honda VFR). I'm all about the trails on a man-powered bike :) I'm going to pick one up, and i'll keep everyone posted.

Yeah, some of the road bikers act like the road was put there for them to ride their bike on. I give them slack as long as they aren't morons which is rare. We live in a valley where the roads are pretty flat for miles so it's very popular for the bicycle groups. Last weekend there were 100's of them, usually they are all spread out but this time they were all grouped up. Some were riding the full lane abreast 5 or 6. Some had a kind of in your face look so I just go around, if theres oncoming traffic I just ease em over into single file or a train wreck, no matter to me. Once a fella yelled loud enough for deaf old me to hear and said he was calling the cops. Couldn't let that fly, stopped flashed my office puke badge and told him they were already here. How do you want it, obstructing traffic or disorderly conduct. A hole!

jlottmc
06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Try living in Lance Armstrong territory. I give them just enough room that I don't clip them with my mirrors. Those guys are a bunch of dildoes, just have no use for them.

Bawanna
06-12-2010, 08:06 PM
You know it didn't occur to me earlier but I just got a 511 holster shirt I got from the NRA store, cheapest place on the net by a good bit. I just put it on an hour ago and so far I'm kind of liking it. I have a PM45 in the under arm pouch and barely know it's there.
I got to thinking, on the street and stuff you'd have to wear something over this shirt but on a mtn bike it looks like those tight fitting shirts bike riders wear and the PM9 being even thinner and lighter would not look out of place. You could wear the shirt by itself on warm days. It fits tight so not alot of movement. Theres a pocket under each arm so you could put mags, or energy bars or a stack of stay off my road bumper stickers.
The holster pockets are large enough to put anything in, I haven't tried but I know a full size 5" 1911 would fit with ease. Might work better than a belly band and you would have to wear something over that even on a mtn trail.

Thanks again Jocko for recommending these holster shirts. I think it's gonna be another great ccw item to add to my meager wardrobe.

PigButtons
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Take a look at the Active Pro Gear stuff. I have several and they work great. There is an optional thumb break that you can get. I don't find it particularly necessary but I bought one the first time around. Then I was carrying the P3AT and it fit fairly loosely, so a good idea. Now with the PM9, it grips the gun well enough that it's not coming out except maybe if you fell. OUCH. Good stuff, I just throw it into the washing machine and hang dry. My oldest one is 4 years old, it was worn constantly for more than three years and though it shows signs of wear, it should last another 5 to 10 years.

PigButtons
06-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Another cool thing to look at with the Active Pro Gear stuff is the belly band has an optional hand cuff holder. Works great to carry license, money, and even a small to medium size cell phone. (Or some toilet paper if you are a country side rider).

kb2wji
06-13-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm digging the holster shirt idea. I'll check out that option as well. I do want a thumb break option since I ride over some pretty gnarly (thats right, gnarly....bringin back the 80's!!) trails. I dont want a gun to fly loose if (when) I take a hard landing.

jkalantzis
06-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Funny you mention it, I was looking at the same concept for my bike. So far this is the only thing that I've found that looks promising, but then again I don't know anything about it.
Let me know what you think.....
Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns (http://www.pistolwear.com/index.htm)

I like the idea of this. I would like to start being able to carry while I ride my bike as well, just haven't found a good way yet, but this does look promising. Even though anything on an infomercial I eat up.

cgo99
06-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I like the idea of this. I would like to start being able to carry while I ride my bike as well, just haven't found a good way yet, but this does look promising. Even though anything on an infomercial I eat up.
I'm the same way, it was the video that sold me. But the again it does not take much to sell me on something.

Bawanna
06-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm digging the holster shirt idea. I'll check out that option as well. I do want a thumb break option since I ride over some pretty gnarly (thats right, gnarly....bringin back the 80's!!) trails. I dont want a gun to fly loose if (when) I take a hard landing.

You bring up a point I hadn't considered (falling off your bike). First it's important to get right back on so it knows your not afraid of it? Was that bikes or bulls?
Anyhow the holster shirt does put the gun right up against your ribs on whichever side you put it on, if you were to fall hard on it, it might not be a good thing, as your right up against bone with little give whereas the bellyband is up against soft tissue, softer in some than others all the way up to down right blubber in some although they probably aren't bike riders.
While it's relatively secure, it may need some sort of improvement for the rigors of mtn biking. I wore mine several hours yesterday afternoon and evening and didn't get the usual neck ache that I normally get with shoulder holsters. For some reason the straps hit nerves or something in my neck even with a light gun and in a couple hours my neck is toast.
What about a setup mountd on the frame of the bike, kind of like the little tool pouches, up close under the seat? LIke a wheelchair you can hang alot of stuff on a bike, maybe not quite as much but alot.

kb2wji
06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Thats where my PM9 sits now. Right at the seatpost in a small zippered bag. It's not quick access. Falling on a gun thats up against the ribs is probably less than desireable. Ankle is out obviously....thigh? How wierd would a PM9 look in a tactical thigh holster? LOL I'm thinking belly band is really the best option. I wish I could try them before spending my cash, cuz Lord knows my stash of 9mm ammo is never large enough :)

kb2wji
06-16-2010, 11:27 PM
UPDATE: No way in the world am I still considering carrying a pistol on me while riding. On Tuesday, I had a pretty nasty wreck on my mountain bike. The dirt equivelant of road rash from head to tow on my right side. I didnt see a dip in the trail coming off a steep downhill, and it launched me like a missile. I hit the ground very hard, splitting my helmet down the side. I then impacted my right shoulder, and did my best impression of a "tuck and roll" to absorb the impact. Rolled shoulder to ribs to hip to thigh to knee to ankle. Two days later and my road rashed leg and thigh are still oozing nasty junk and bleeding. I'll get to the point.... My ribs and hip area's are extremely bruised and rashed. Had I been carrying IWB, I would have surely broken some bones, not to mention destroying the finish on my gun. Carrying in a holster shirt would have certainly done much more severe damage. Pistol will now stay in the car. I do appreciate everyone's input, and i'm still researching options for conceal carry. I've gotten some great input from you guys (and not just THIS thread!) Thanks again!

medezyner
06-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Sounds like a nasty spill, maybe even nastier than my airborne acrobatics after hitting a dog with the FLH. Dog: 1, Harley: 0 Good thing you were wearing a brain bucket. Hope recuperation turns out ok.
I started to sketch out a design for a bike mountable kydex holster but the challenges are piling up: durability, inconspicuous, fast access, modularity, and on. It’s turning into a larger after-hours project then I planned on. I wonder if one of those iPhone bike holsters might be useable with a few modifications. Hmm, some of those brackets look like they could provide the stability. My relentless tinkering produced this not-so-perfect temporary solution for the little Kel-tec. Hey, don’t laugh, ya gotta start somewhere! :D It’s an off shelf Schwinn padded pouch from WallyWorld. Haven’t checked it out for the PM9 yet. Had to construct a tunnel for the shift cables from a section of pvc pipe and nylon cable ties. See pix.

Bawanna
06-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a nasty spill, maybe even nastier than my airborne acrobatics after hitting a dog with the FLH. Dog: 1, Harley: 0 Good thing you were wearing a brain bucket. Hope recuperation turns out ok.
I started to sketch out a design for a bike mountable kydex holster but the challenges are piling up: durability, inconspicuous, fast access, modularity, and on. It’s turning into a larger after-hours project then I planned on. I wonder if one of those iPhone bike holsters might be useable with a few modifications. Hmm, some of those brackets look like they could provide the stability. My relentless tinkering produced this not-so-perfect temporary solution for the little Kel-tec. Hey, don’t laugh, ya gotta start somewhere! :D It’s an off shelf Schwinn padded pouch from WallyWorld. Haven’t checked it out for the PM9 yet. Had to construct a tunnel for the shift cables from a section of pvc pipe and nylon cable ties. See pix.

Way way better than in the car. I'm so relieved that he wasn't wearing a holster shirt on my account when he did the crash and burn. How could I live with myself. I like the frame mount, I had envisioned inside the frame like the water or vodka bottle but I haven't put as much thought and effort into it as you obviously have. All my bikes only had one speed, hard and harder so I didn't have to worry about them cables and phone wires and such on these new fangled 2 wheelers.
My first motor cycle, way way too late in life was a real good day. A Hodaka 100. Don't think I spelled that right, been a long time. No more pedaling for this kid. Got ran over by a truck, the bike not me, had one of them chrome gas tanks that weighed a ton but it was tough. Didnt hurt it a bit. Stick with the drawing board medezyner I think your onto something.

medezyner
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I like the frame mount, I had envisioned inside the frame like the water or vodka bottle but I haven't put as much thought and effort into it as you obviously have.
My first motor cycle, way way too late in life was a real good day. A Hodaka 100.

Yup, you got it, inside the frame area, stable, protected and high enough for quick access if your still in the saddle, which it reall high on a mountain bike. Hodaka! Man, you just set my own time machine back to high school for sure. My friend that had one of those Hodaka's also had a Harlely 175 dirt/street bike. I bet he wished he still had that one...or not!

Bawanna
06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Yup, you got it, inside the frame area, stable, protected and high enough for quick access if your still in the saddle, which it reall high on a mountain bike. Hodaka! Man, you just set my own time machine back to high school for sure. My friend that had one of those Hodaka's also had a Harlely 175 dirt/street bike. I bet he wished he still had that one...or not!

Yup good ole days for sure. I kind of wish I still had that ole Hodaka, probably still running someplace. I flat tracked it for many years in the 125 class, never broke anything on it or me. Well guess I did bust the rear shocks off it once, went down and got run over, but still finished shocks floppin in the wind. Raced locally every week and every 2 weeks just accross the border in Canada for 5 or 6 years.
Friend had a small Harley about that 175 class, I had an old Indian. Spent more time getting it running than riding but I loved it. Sure wish I had that old scooter now. I'd build a shrine around it.

medezyner
06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I had an old Indian. Spent more time getting it running than riding but I loved it. Sure wish I had that old scooter now. I'd build a shrine around it.

Yikes, if you were a dirt flat tracker, that Indian maybe was the same I had? Indian scout 240 with the parallel twins? I think that model buried indian because of the Britts. I got it in trade for work done for a buddy of mine. He collected Indians and said I could have it. Wrong move, I tripped over it in the garage for 3 years so it went. Too busy raising rug rats, moving and working too many hours. Bummer.

Bawanna
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Yikes, if you were a dirt flat tracker, that Indian maybe was the same I had? Indian scout 240 with the parallel twins? I think that model buried indian because of the Britts. I got it in trade for work done for a buddy of mine. He collected Indians and said I could have it. Wrong move, I tripped over it in the garage for 3 years so it went. Too busy raising rug rats, moving and working too many hours. Bummer.

I never flat tracked the Indian, only the Hodaka, then a Honda and a very brief stint on a Triumph on the big track. Good times.