PDA

View Full Version : CT9 gonna take over for Colt....for a while maybe.

forestranger
08-06-2014, 05:10 PM
My Colt Commander 45 had been my bedside handgun for years. Carpal Tunnel and surgery on right hand made me go lefty and 9mm for 5-6 mos. Since my new CT9 has been 100% through 300+ rds (except for one mag not liking DPX which is fixed now), I decided to see how I'd do with the CT9 and the Commander today. Only 50 rds through the Commander and my wrist, hand and trigger finger were hurting. I hadn't fired it since last fall and my shooting showed it. The target in the photo was about as good as I could do. While loading Kahr mags (with an UpLULA), hand got a little better. 50rds + another mag of DPX through the CT9 was a pleasure after the Commander. All shots on paper plates out to 25 yds and more accurate on fast shooting. So I think the Commander, much as I hate it, is temporarily (I hope) retired. I have a number of high cap 9s but they are all DA/SA or DAO so the DA triggers are a bit of a problem.

The CT9 has given me the same confidence in reliability/shootability as my CW9s and CM9. With those three loaded with CorBon 115+P DPX, I don't feel too unprotected. But I do love that Commander!:(

Bawanna
08-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Ok, I'll take the Commander. You can PM me for shipping instructions. It needs love and I'm just the guy to supply it. I offer this as a public service.

My hands are circling the drain too but I won't even consider the day I have to carry anything but a 45.

Crap, just reread and saw the last line "I do love the Commander". Sh!t....

forestranger
08-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the kind offer! It's only been 5 mos since the surgery and the Doc said to give it a year so I'll hang on to the Commander a wee bit longer. It's the gun I used to take to the range when I was shooting with others and wanted to look good. Now it hurts to shoot it.:(

Bawanna
08-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Sometimes it's painful to look cool, but looking cool is everything to me. I swallow the pain.

We'll talk again in 7 months and hopefully we'll forget what this was all about.

CPTKILLER
08-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Nice shooting. The CT9 goes for $291.00.

forestranger
08-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Mine was priced $285+tax but I ended up trading two KelTecs even for it. Thought that was a good trade since I couldn't pull trigger on one and barely the other.:o

muggsy
08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
When you use the Commander you only need one shot. How painful can that be to the shooter. :)

forestranger
08-06-2014, 07:24 PM
When you use the Commander you only need one shot. How painful can that be to the shooter. :)
Can't argue with that. I have 4 1911s and a 45 Witness and plan to keep em if I have to do most shooting left handed!

yqtszhj
08-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Quit posting gun pics. It makes me want more.

Tossing
08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Better get your cheap CT9's while you can.

Kahr was giving special introductory pricing to its dealers, but that seems to have ended.

TucsonMTB
08-06-2014, 08:30 PM
. . . So I think the Commander, much as I hate it, is temporarily (I hope) retired.

But I do love that Commander!:(
If you have the opportunity, try some of this ammunition. The recoil reduction makes it worth seeking out. Admittedly, any 185 grain 45 ACP ammo will be softer shooting than 230 grain ball, which is why the IDPA and IPSC guys like it for matches.

However, this Federal stuff is usually reasonably priced (in my experience) and very accurate in my CBOB.

http://www.blackriveroutpost.com/assets/images/federal_45_acp_hi-shok.jpg

At least get some as an occasional treat even if you stick with 9mm for personal defense.

Best of luck, sir!

forestranger
08-07-2014, 05:50 AM
If you have the opportunity, try some of this ammunition. The recoil reduction makes it worth seeking out. Admittedly, any 185 grain 45 ACP ammo will be softer shooting than 230 grain ball, which is why the IDPA and IPSC guys like it for matches.

However, this Federal stuff is usually reasonably priced (in my experience) and very accurate in my CBOB.

At least get some as an occasional treat even if you stick with 9mm for personal defense.

Best of luck, sir!
All my practice / self defence ammo is 230 gr except some 185 +P Golden Saber but I'll keep my eye out for some.

hardluk1
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Now you have a Purdy 1911 for special events and bbq's and a practical working pistol for carry. You know you can't just have one kahr.

forestranger
08-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Now you have a Purdy 1911 for special events and bbq's and a practical working pistol for carry. You know you can't just have one kahr.
Oh yeah! Kahrs have gotten as contagious to me as 1911s. Got all three Kahr sizes now and this right hand makes me glad they're all 9mm cause I can shoot 'em without pain.

2tango2
08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I need to payoff my layaway at Buds soon to get the CT9 in my hands. My CT45 needs a mate :)

yqtszhj
08-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Best of luck, sir!

I like this ammo in .45. Its a mild round but works very well in my kahr .45's. It does expand in my amature ammo test too.

TucsonMTB
08-11-2014, 10:21 PM
I like this ammo in .45. Its a mild round but works very well in my kahr .45's. It does expand in my amature ammo test too.
Thank you for the kind words.

Over the years, I have pretty much shot up most of my other 45 ACP ammunition.

Fortunately, there are a fair number of cases of this stuff in my stash.

I guess you could say I am saving the best for last. http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

The good news is that I still see it offered for reasonable prices from time to time, too.

forestranger
08-12-2014, 11:48 AM
May Jeff Cooper forgive me but I'm OK with a 9 especially for everyday carry but at home, I still prefer the 45. This was an ammo test I did several years ago using 24 hr soaked newspaper covered with 1 layer denim and two thick towels. The 9mm ain't bad but the 45 is hard to beat.

Bawanna
08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Them 45's are gonna leave a mark for sure.

I attended 2 Winchester ammo seminars they put on here locally at our range. It was a lot of fun. They had the real gelatin and shot a bunch of comparison. The host agency got to keep a board they made up similar to your picture with all the different slugs.
Couple of my guys were suppose to go but got tied up on cases so I went at the last minute. I was late and kind of disrupted the seminar, it was outside and rather informal but still a disruption. (actually a forte with me).
Anyhow to amend myself I stayed after and helped pack everything up, clean up etc.
Got a bunch of pogey bait for that. A Clock, T shirts, can't remember what all. To some its just trinkets but I kind of dig the stuff and still have all of it.

You put forth quite an effort to create your own ballistic test. Well done sir.

hardluk1
08-12-2014, 03:53 PM
It does not matter the cartridge you shoot. None are guarantied one shot man stoppers Carry the one you can shoot best and that includes double or triple taps. I'll spit the difference and continue to carry my tp40 IF I can after surgery.. Underwoods 1302fps with a 155gr ain't bad ether when its a gold dot or xtp

forestranger
08-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Thank you Bawanna. hardluk1, agree 100% and right now, right handed or left handed, I shoot my 4 Kahr 9mms better than any of the other "few" handguns I have and with no pain. I bet that Underwood load is a doosy!