PDA

View Full Version : Rust on drum mags

Big Thunder
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I recently bought a new Thompson with the 100 round drum. I also bought a 50 round drum. Both drums had lots of surface rust on them. Kahr was very nice and quickly exchanged them. My question is, what is the best way to keep these rust free? What about storage? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated! Also, if anyone decides to form a Zoot Shooters chapter in Wisconsin, let me know!

Bawanna
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
For this kind of stuff and all firearms storage I like Du-Lite's Kwikseal. It's been hard to find but Brownells (I love those guys) just recently started stocking it. In fact I just got 2 new cans about an hour ago via the big brown truck. It used to be aerosol but now comes in a pump can BUT it still has a place for the little straw applicator to get in tight places without hosing everything down. I was so happy to see that. It's also a scookum can, not a plastic window cleaning bottle. All good.
It says it protects for 18 months. It doesn't build up, so if you reapply oil it just replaces what was already there. It doesn't run and it even smells decent, far better than some.
It's actually used by some of the big manufacturers, applied on guns before they are shipped out.
My 50 round drum has it on it as we speak sitting on my desk looking cool as always.
For the record I don't work for them, just love the product.

Big Thunder
06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered a can yesterday from Brownell's. Do you spray on and wipe off the excess, or just leave it as is? What about the inside of the drum mags? One of the new ones I got is "liberally" coated with oil right from the factory, the other is dry. It is my understanding that no oil should be inside the drum mags.

Bawanna
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I spray it on and wipe off excess or just spray on a rag and wipe things down. I use it everytime I put something back in the toy box.
I use the same stuff inside my drum, again I wipe it on or spray and wipe off excess. If you were gonna leave your drums all loaded up, I'd not leave alot of oil inside but I have little concern for oil contaminated primers. Modern stuff is pretty sealed up. I still don't leave alot of oil around them but I'm not a fan of rust either.
Let us know what you think of that stuff when you get it. To me it's just great stuff.
Alot of blueing outfits and numerous manufacturers use it so it can't be bad.

Big Thunder
08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Sorry I didn't get back on here sooner. I got the Kwikseal and I like it. It seems to be a good product. Thanks for the help!