PDA

View Full Version : fundamentals

marcinstl
08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViX9D9TJ8k8
here's a golden oldie training film. stance, grip, trigger control- lot's of good info. the trigger control on a S&W revolver works on a Kahr,
I like most of this. I make an old guy noise when drawing and crouching, knee joints might crack too. notice, there is no cool, tactical, double hand shooting in the video.
(back in the late 50's my grandfather let me shoot his .22 revolver. the drill was to stand erect, sideways to the target, head turned over shoulder, arm straight out, look over the barrel and sights at the target and pull the trigger. other hand was in pants pocket. vest and bow tie optional. I latter learned this was a takeoff on the cavalry stance where the other hand held the reins of the horse. comfortable way to shoot a single action revolver. see bullseye and ISSF shooting).

Bawanna
08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
A detectives great grandfather trying out the 1911 in 1913 using the proper stance.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN4648_zpse289f5b1.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN4648_zpse289f5b1.jpg.html)

marcinstl
08-25-2014, 07:47 PM
great photo, thanks for posting it.
I guess I just get a kick out of some of these tactical, cool, 2 handed shooters(some of which run training schools) and fill up youtube with a lot of crap. (I was just howling this morning, watching 2 guys in an IDPA contest. one had a S&W 686, the other had a Colt Python. the 2 best DA triggers in the business and these clowns were shooting them SA. oh yeah, they're real pro's--Not!
if I was running a defensive shooting school one of the drills would be running zigzag while shooting over the shoulder, what ever it takes to get to cover and maybe a good long gun. there is no defensive target shooting, just laying down a lot of cover fire while you distance yourself from the threat. once the long gun is retrieved, then maybe the hunted becomes the hunter- don't tell the prosecutor I said that.
your here, so I assume great grandpa made it back-- that's a good thing.
in case you missed it in another thread, I found the link to the grip emporium and went over there for a look. nice work, your a craftsman.

marcinstl
08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
when I first got a Kahr it was a CW45. I thought the gun sucked and the trigger was way sucky. I was also on the verge of admitting my purchase might have been biting off more than I could chew (hehehehe). then I got a CW9 and started renting 1911's, Glocks, DA/SA revolvers and things got better. have the Kahr trigger figured out. got the CW45 back from Kahr with a new frame and have been shooting that again, not bad, but I can get more bullets on target and faster with the 9mm. hmmm, I'd trade the CW45 for a CM9, hello, anybody.......

ReManG
10-12-2014, 09:31 PM
if I was running a defensive shooting school one of the drills would be running zigzag while shooting over the shoulder, what ever it takes to get to cover and maybe a good long gun. there is no defensive target shooting, just laying down a lot of cover fire while you distance yourself from the threat. once the long gun is retrieved, then maybe the hunted becomes the hunter- don't tell the prosecutor I said that.

Now that sounds like a school of shooting I would attend.... It amazes me to watch these "pros" taking their time lining up the sights and they are able to get some great groups.... but how %#^@&@% long it takes them... Watch some paint ball sometime, especially if they are using pump guns or limiting the semi auto play. The paintball is the most ballistic useless projectile for accuracy, a round, liquid filled projectile fired from an unrifled barrel...Yet people get hit without sights from POINT shooting, no form... the way some people report it, this would be impossible without a locked elbow or some such other dogma... COVER is the second rule, or the first if you missed the first rule of a gunfight....

kenm
10-13-2014, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViX9D9TJ8k8
here's a golden oldie training film. stance, grip, trigger control- lot's of good info. the trigger control on a S&W revolver works on a Kahr,
I like most of this. I make an old guy noise when drawing and crouching, knee joints might crack too. notice, there is no cool, tactical, double hand shooting in the video.
(back in the late 50's my grandfather let me shoot his .22 revolver. the drill was to stand erect, sideways to the target, head turned over shoulder, arm straight out, look over the barrel and sights at the target and pull the trigger. other hand was in pants pocket. vest and bow tie optional. I latter learned this was a takeoff on the cavalry stance where the other hand held the reins of the horse. comfortable way to shoot a single action revolver. see bullseye and ISSF shooting).

Thank you. Great video. Reminded me of the training I had in my regiment when I was a young pup.
Come to think of it, those memories are also in black and white.