PDA

View Full Version : 3LB Trigger Pull on My Remington R1...Oh My!

CC Hoosier
10-07-2014, 07:36 PM
I just finished with my 1st trigger job. It was about 3 weeks in the making so it was nothing I just jumped into. I gathered all the info I could wrap my brain around and proceeded to get all the tools, equipment, and even hung a gun tool cabinet in my man-cave/reloading/amature gunsmithing corner of the house. I hit a few bumps along the way. Some I was prepared for, others not-so-much.

I started out installing a new trigger, hammer, and beaver-tail grip safety. After doing so, I went to the range with 150 handloads. I had about 10% light primer strikes with a 5lb trigger pull. The new hammer was quite a bit lighter than the stock hammer; http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VQXWENMLbUo/VDbk7jolp6I/AAAAAAAAACo/JcyqhoroP8w/s1600/R1%2BLog%2B1.JPG

I read that most stock 1911's have a 23lb hammer spring. I ordered a full range of hammer springs from Wolff ranging from 16lbs up to 30 lbs. I decided on a 25lb spring. The old spring was much shorter and weaker after only 1100 rounds. I installed the 25lb hammer spring and now I have a 7lb trigger pull. (not what I was after at all). In the mean time, I had ordered a Marvel Sear Jig from Brownell's still waiting to be tested. No instructions came with the jig, so I dug up as much info on the Internet as I could after emailing them for the instructions with no answer.

After getting my ceramic stones and a jeweler's lighted magnifying glass from Amazon, I began the journey of stoning the sear and hammer. I worked on it a few hours-a-day. The trigger was down to 6lbs with very little creep. (nice and crisp) Still not happy with the results, I continued working on the sear and hammer a little at a time. I was disassembling and reassembling this pistol at least a dozen times and the 80 series block safety crap was getting on my nerves! So I ditched them!

After getting rid of the 80 series safety stuff, I went for the lightest trigger pull. I adjusted the sear spring, disconnector spring, took the hammer feet to .020 and further stoned the sear with the super-fine stone and brought it to a mirror polish. I was hoping for a 4 1/2 - 4lb pull, but 3LBS on the nose???????????? HOLY CRAP!

I'll be taking it to the range in the next couple of days with only 2 rounds in the mag then progressing to a full 8 round mag in case this thing goes full auto on me. It will be easy to get to the 4lb pull from here by simply adjusting the sear and disconnector springs back to original.....but talk about a SWEET TRIGGER PULL with a crisp 25lb snap!!

THE TRIGGER GODS WERE WITH ME TONIGHT! :amflag::amflag::amflag:

Bawanna
10-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Nice! But do be careful with that. I know you will. I'm pretty chicken messing with trigger pulls.

CC Hoosier
10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Nice! But do be careful with that. I know you will. I'm pretty chicken messing with trigger pulls.

I just got back home from my 100 round outing at the range. I had no malfunctions and no full-auto experiences. It was the most accurate I have ever shot with this pistol. With that being said, I was very uncomfortable with this 3lb trigger with minimal travel. If I could describe it with just one word, it would be "SCARY." I'm sure bullseye shooters become accustomed to these hair triggers, but I'm NOT a bullseye shooter....far from it.

I will be re-adjusting the springs and lengthening the travel to get back to a comfortable 4-4 1/2 lb trigger pull. I do like the way the 25 lb hammer spring dimples the primers. There is no question my ammo will go bang now. (much like the depth of dimples made from my Glock).

Next on the agenda: The Ruger 70 Series Stainless Steel 1911 shown here: http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Loves-me-like-a-rock-1-SR911.jpg or a Stainless Steel Ruger 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk shown here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_super_blackhawk_5inch.jpg

God, handguns are fun!

CC Hoosier
10-08-2014, 05:14 PM
OOPS, I can only add another 1/2 pound to my trigger pull along with a little travel. I guess this will not be my carry weapon. This will be my very own "personal" range pistol for nobody else to shoot. This one will remain unloaded and locked up in my tool cabinet until range day. Now I'm forced to buy a winter-carry pistol.........Damn It!

muggsy
10-08-2014, 05:19 PM
I had a 45 go full auto on me for the last three rounds in the mag. The first shot hit the target, the second hit the juncture of the ceiling and the back wall and the third one hit the ceiling about ten feet in front of me. It's sure unnerving when it happens and you're not expecting it.

CC Hoosier
10-08-2014, 06:05 PM
I had a 45 go full auto on me for the last three rounds in the mag. The first shot hit the target, the second hit the juncture of the ceiling and the back wall and the third one hit the ceiling about ten feet in front of me. It's sure unnerving when it happens and you're not expecting it.

I'm sure it is. That's why I put only 2 in the mag...then 3....then 4...then 5 .....then 6.....then 7.....and finally 8. It performed flawlessly through 100 rounds. The sear and hammer were stoned square. The hammer hooks were stoned to the plus side of .020. The secondary angle on the sear was stoned level across the sear as well all using a reputable jig and lighted magnification. I feel very confident with the trigger job even though it's my 1st one. I "do not" feel confident with anyone else shooting it. 3 1/2 lbs (on the nose) is a scary trigger pull when one is accustomed to 5-7lb stock trigger pulls on most 1911's and other semi-autos.

Barth
11-29-2014, 04:42 PM
All my guns are carry guns.
I love light triggers and have them on most all of them.
Don't recommend that to most people.
But just below 4 lbs is as low as it gets for me.
3.9/3.8 lbs - now that's sweet.
3.0? Holy Crap - not for me.

CJB
11-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Empty pistol. Finger off trigger. Pull slide back. Lock it. Depress lock to drop slide. Did hammer follow?

marshal kane
12-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Empty pistol. Finger off trigger. Pull slide back. Lock it. Depress lock to drop slide. Did hammer follow?
Not too good if the hammer follows and continuously gets stopped at the half-cock notch. One work-around this is for right handed shooters to place the left forefinger on the slide stop and the left thumb on the hammer spur then depress the slide stop while holding the hammer captive. BTW, a 3.5 pound trigger pull is NRA "legal" for the .45 caliber match and a lot of shooters adjust their triggers to this without any adverse effects.

CC Hoosier
12-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Still no issues after 500+ rounds. I finally did allow a friend at the range to shoot the pistol, but I made him keep his finger outside the trigger guard until it was pointed down range. He was accustomed to long 7lb trigger pulls. When I asked him,
"How was it?" after shooting through a mag, he answered "Ridiculous." I didn't really know how to take his reply. Anyway, I LOVE this gun more than ever!

muggsy
12-10-2014, 03:46 AM
You just can't beat a well tuned 1911. It always has been and always will be my favorite handgun to shoot.

CC Hoosier
12-15-2014, 08:26 AM
You just can't beat a well tuned 1911. It always has been and always will be my favorite handgun to shoot.

I agree 100%. I've been leaving my other handguns at home. The 1911 is such a pleasure to shoot with mild target loads. I finally found another 10lbs of pistol powder and another 5000 large pistol primers. I'm set for awhile.

marshal kane
12-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Primers are now available but where did you find 10 pounds of pistol powder? The pistol powder supply is just about nil and has been so for over a year.

CC Hoosier
12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Primers are now available but where did you find 10 pounds of pistol powder? The pistol powder supply is just about nil and has been so for over a year.

OK, now that I'm stocked up for awhile, I'll let you know my little Mom & Pop Honey Hole on the Internet. They have GREAT prices. They are honest with fast shipping. When I looked yesterday, they still had some IMR 700X left in the 4lb containers. (Good powder). Tell them Joe R. sent you. (-: http://www.recobstargetshop.com/index.htm KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I just checked and the 700x is gone...............BUT LONGSHOT is still available. Good for high-power loads in all calbers. I use it extensively in 357, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45. I usually drop a grain from minimum loads and it works well. Faster burning than LIL Gun. ENJOY!

jocko
12-15-2014, 11:15 AM

agree, I am alittle sheepish myself. Just sayin

CC Hoosier
12-15-2014, 12:04 PM
agree, I am alittle sheepish myself. Just sayin
The worse you can do is destroy your sear/hammer. They are $35 parts. When testing, just start out with 2 in the mag in case it decides to go full auto.

marshal kane
12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
OK, now that I'm stocked up for awhile, I'll let you know my little Mom & Pop Honey Hole on the Internet. They have GREAT prices. They are honest with fast shipping. When I looked yesterday, they still had some IMR 700X left in the 4lb containers. (Good powder). Tell them Joe R. sent you. (-: http://www.recobstargetshop.com/index.htm KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I just checked and the 700x is gone...............BUT LONGSHOT is still available. Good for high-power loads in all calbers. I use it extensively in 357, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45. I usually drop a grain from minimum loads and it works well. Faster burning than LIL Gun. ENJOY!
Handgun powders are still scarce but thanks for the referral to Recobs. I've bought from them before and they are an up and up business.

CC Hoosier
12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Handgun powders are still scarce but thanks for the referral to Recobs. I've bought from them before and they are an up and up business.
It's the only place I go for powder and primers on the net. When I'm looking for either one, I check them out almost daily. 10lbs of powder and 5000 - 10,000 primers makes it worth the shipping and hazmat fee. This year the pistol powders they had available were: Titewad, LONGSHOT, IMR 700X and 800X. Last year they also had Red Dot, Green Dot, and Herco. I still have about 1/2 of last year's supply left. Missouri Bullet is my choice for target lead. All in all, it costs me around 15 cents to load a 45 ACP.

marshal kane
12-17-2014, 07:39 AM
It's the only place I go for powder and primers on the net. When I'm looking for either one, I check them out almost daily. 10lbs of powder and 5000 - 10,000 primers makes it worth the shipping and hazmat fee. This year the pistol powders they had available were: Titewad, LONGSHOT, IMR 700X and 800X. Last year they also had Red Dot, Green Dot, and Herco. I still have about 1/2 of last year's supply left. Missouri Bullet is my choice for target lead. All in all, it costs me around 15 cents to load a 45 ACP.
I've been reloading since 1963 and my favorite pistol powders are Bullseye, W231, Titegroup, and Unique. I've been buying powder in 4-8 pound canisters when I can but for the last two years or so, pistol powder has been scarce so that limits the amount of pistol shooting that I can do. Thankfully, primers have become available so I've built up my reserve on these again. I buy .38 caliber HBWCs (Remington, Hornady, and Speer) and 9 mm 115 grain FMJ (Remington, Winchester, Hornady) in bulk when available, the rest I cast from wheel weights. I have no idea what it cost me to load a .45 ACP now but it's got to be less than buying factory.

CC Hoosier
12-18-2014, 10:23 AM
I've been reloading since 1963 and my favorite pistol powders are Bullseye, W231, Titegroup, and Unique. I've been buying powder in 4-8 pound canisters when I can but for the last two years of so, pistol powder has been scarce so that limits the amount of pistol shooting that I can do. Thankfully, primers have become available so I've built up my reserve on these again. I buy .38 caliber HBWCs (Remington, Hornady, and Speer) and 9 mm 115 grain FMJ (Remington, Winchester, Hornady) in bulk when available, the rest I cast from wheel weights. I have no idea what it cost me to load a .45 ACP now but it's got to be less than buying factory.

HP38 has the same specs as W231. I would love to have either but they are nowhere to be found. I really don't understand why gunpowder manufacturers don't step up production. They all claim to be producing 24/7. Why not build more facilities and hire more people? With what they can produce now, they'll never meet the demand. IMR 700x is a very versatile powder in all handgun applications. I buy xtp hollow points for my 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357. CCI primers when I can find them though the 5000 Federals I just bought from Recob's are working out just as well. You can get 1000 - 200 grain lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. for under $100 (the cheapest I could find).

CC Hoosier
12-30-2014, 09:50 PM

I just found another place. The pistol powder is called CSB-1. It comes with its own loading data. It's been used by an experienced reloader who is also running out of pistol powder. He has tried it and is very satisfied with it. He said the place he found it: http://www.hi-techammo.com/ has fast shipping with very good prices as well.

marshal kane
01-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I just found another place. The pistol powder is called CSB-1. It comes with its own loading data. It's been used by an experienced reloader who is also running out of pistol powder. He has tried it and is very satisfied with it. He said the place he found it: http://www.hi-techammo.com/ has fast shipping with very good prices as well.
Have you tried any of this? Is it similar to either W231, Bullseye, Titegroup, or Unique? Those are my favorite pistol powders. Thanks for the tip.

CC Hoosier
01-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Have you tried any of this? Is it similar to either W231, Bullseye, Titegroup, or Unique? Those are my favorite pistol powders. Thanks for the tip.

Nope. I have never tried it myself and I'm not sure what it's comparable to, but he seemed to like it. It looks to be a military powder.

TheYoungConnoisseur
12-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I do all my own work. I run a 3.5-3.6 on my raptor ultra EDC and TLE II tactical suppressed just out of reliability concern and 2.2-2.3 on my raptor pro. I think 2.0lbs is perfect but its hard to make it dead reliable so I bumped it up to 2.2ish and been happy with it for like 5k rds this summer. All guns are set to have less than 2mm of total combined trigger travel from take up to break