PDA

View Full Version : slingshot vs the proper way to rack a slide

bumpfire
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I hear on all of the forums about slingshot way of pulling the slide back.
I was always taught to put the heal of my weak hand against the slide and wrapping my 4 fingers over the top of the slide to the other side and pull the slide back to the end stop and let it slip out of that hand to go forward.
If that is done properly the Kahrs will feed as reliably as using the slide release. It is the only way I know of to do a tap rack bang. It is hard to unlearn the wrong way but if it is not automatic and if there is a failure in a gun fight you are in trouble.
This is also why Kahrs must be carried with a round in the chamber. Their feed ramp is very steep requiring full power of recoil spring to feed a round.
Thoughts?

500KV
09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Seems as though Kahrs are somewhat different.
When mine were new you had to do it the recommended way or they wouldn't feed, but since I've put several hundred rounds through them I can now rack the slide and they feed fine.

I do it just to be sure now when I go to the range.
I've found that you have to do it with authority though.
If you milk toast them they'll fail to feed.

ltxi
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Seems as though Kahrs are somewhat different.
When mine were new you had to do it the recommended way or they wouldn't feed, but since I've put several hundred rounds through them I can now rack the slide and they feed fine.

I do it just to be sure now when I go to the range.
I've found that you have to do it with authority though.
If you milk toast them they'll fail to feed.

same here..

bumpfire
09-22-2009, 07:17 AM
The "recommended way" is because most people can not release the slide without riding it part way back. The round or the gun does not know if the slide was released cleanly by hand or with the slide release. The feed ramp is so steep that a clean release is important. This is why a round must be carried in the chamber. If the PM9 is carried for protection (what else would it be used for) the owner should practice proper manipulation of the slide as in malfunction clearance.

LaVere
09-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a K-40 and have had it for 7 years. I have shot thousands of rounds Too many to keep track of. When I first got the K-40 it was all I could do is to pull the slide either with finger and thumb or the whole hand. Now it works very smooth. Tomorrow I start a second defensive class And I planning using the K-40 for this class.
I wanted to to do a little PM before class so I ordered new rubber grips, main spring, Mag release with spring. I put it together and wow I could bearly pull the slide back at all. I went back to the original 7 year old spring. I let you know if I have a failure to feed or any problems after classes are over 6 weeks from now.

espresso
07-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Question from someone with very little experience shooting semi autos-- It seems most people report that once their Kahr's are broken in they are able to tap-rack-bang them just like other autos. Whats the proper way to clear a dud-FTF-FTE from a new kahr that's not broken in yet? If you still have rounds in the mag can you tap tap--rack--bang?...or is it tap--rack--lock slide--release slide—bang? Doesn't mater to me having to chamber the first round with the slide release but wanted to know procedure if this happens in a self defense situation.

I'm sold on the CW9 it's just right for me in weight/size/capacity just what I'm looking for... but still a little unsure about this one issue.

TucsonMTB
07-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Question from someone with very little experience shooting semi autos-- It seems most people report that once their Kahr's are broken in they are able to tap-rack-bang them just like other autos. Whats the proper way to clear a dud-FTF-FTE from a new kahr that's not broken in yet? If you still have rounds in the mag can you tap tap--rack--bang?...or is it tap--rack--lock slide--release slide—bang? Doesn't mater to me having to chamber the first round with the slide release but wanted to know procedure if this happens in a self defense situation.

I'm sold on the CW9 it's just right for me in weight/size/capacity just what I'm looking for... but still a little unsure about this one issue.
Tap - Rack - Bang will usually work, if you do it with vigor. :)

If your pistol has not reached the point of being broken in enough for that to work, it's probably not the best choice for personal protection.

Both of my Kahrs will now sling shot easily and did so after the first few magazines. In fact, I don't think I have ever bothered with the slide release method. But, as always . . . Your mileage may vary. :)

In other words . . . keep trying it until you succeed. You may be just fine right out of the box, as mine were.

jocko
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
usually a tap,rack and bang thing is used for aq misfire, dead primer. a jam is another thing, sometimes u will need to drop the magazine to clear. as Tucson stated, ther more u get used to your cw9, the better u wil lbe ableto troubloe shoot certain issues.

MW surveyor
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
necrothread :)

But still good information

espresso
07-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback I'm cool with having to put some rounds through before feeling comfortable with it.

mr surveyor
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I hear on all of the forums about slingshot way of pulling the slide back.
I was always taught to put the heal of my weak hand against the slide and wrapping my 4 fingers over the top of the slide to the other side and pull the slide back to the end stop and let it slip out of that hand to go forward.
If that is done properly the Kahrs will feed as reliably as using the slide release. It is the only way I know of to do a tap rack bang. It is hard to unlearn the wrong way but if it is not automatic and if there is a failure in a gun fight you are in trouble.
This is also why Kahrs must be carried with a round in the chamber. Their feed ramp is very steep requiring full power of recoil spring to feed a round.
Thoughts?

just for clarification of your thread title.... what are you referring to with the part about "proper way to rack a slide"?

I never considered the method of dropping the slide from slide lock to charge the weapon (per Kahr's recommended procedure) to be "racking the slide". On the other hand, I see no mechanical difference between the overhand method (as you described) and the rear grip/release method for racking the slide. There are "tactical" advantages to the overhand method (confined space being one), as well as physical limitations of the shooter (much easier for those with arthritic hands/fingers), but this method also tends to lead to the inexperienced among us to "ride the slide".

just curious

surv

earle8888
07-03-2011, 01:50 PM
For Whatever its worth-- The method described is almost the way I was taught.
The difference being--YOU HOLD THE SLIDE WITH THE WEAK HAND and PUSH THE PISTOL GRIP THROUGH THE WEAK ONE! May seam like a small point, but, doing it this way you don't ride-the-slide.

jocko
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
i guess the bottom line is that one will do what ever works best for him. Learning both ways is not a bad thing, and lets face it 99.995% of us will never encounter this scenario to use either method. It's is nice to chat about which method is best but again for most all of us, it is a mute point.

I have always been a believer that one can master a bad habit to, just takes longer.:popcorn:

DriveMyKahr
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
For Whatever its worth-- The method described is almost the way I was taught.
The difference being--YOU HOLD THE SLIDE WITH THE WEAK HAND and PUSH THE PISTOL GRIP THROUGH THE WEAK ONE! May seam like a small point, but, doing it this way you don't ride-the-slide.

Yes, Drill Sergeant, that's exactaly how I was taugth to do it.

...I racked the slide an dry-fired my PM9 500+ times before it ever saw the range.

And after 1200+ rounds through the barrel, it still doesn't know anything but an overhand sling-shot rack and has never failed once to do so properly.

Rainman48314
07-03-2011, 09:25 PM

I would not carry until the slide action and recoil spring are broken-in to allow a standard tap & rack. When my PM9 was newer, I had to drop the mag while pulling the slide back to clear jams. I do not get jams any longer with SD rounds, I get one in 50-75 with FMJ.

espresso
07-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I hear you on that one. I'll break her in real good first and make sure I can do a standard tap-rack-bang before CC.

Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer before I buy anything......My home A/C needs replacement it went out at the beginning of the long holiday weekend.:eek: It's a must have thing down here in south Louisiana!

Jeremiah/Az
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I slingshot both my P380 & PM9 with the overhand hold, but I arch my fingers enough to clear the rear sight. When the slide hits the farthest rear movement, keep moving your weak hand rearward off of the slide, thus not slowing down slide momentum forward.

jeep45238
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjLbFOw8sow