PDA

View Full Version : Why Guns are Good

aray
06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
A really great article by John Stossle, formerly of ABC and now with Fox News:

FOXNews.com - Why Guns Are Good (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/06/23/john-stossel-guns-good-save-lives-criminals-lubys-cafeteria-texas-handgun/)

jlottmc
06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
wonder of wonders, John Stossel switched sides... maybe there is hope after all.

kahrseye
06-24-2010, 07:32 PM
:cheer2:Enlightenment is a wonderful thing.

jfrey
06-24-2010, 09:30 PM
The asertion made that "guns kill 30,000 Americans a year" is total bunk ( to put it politely). A gun has never killed anyone. People (criminals) kill people. Lets put the blame where the blame belongs. We hear the same old lame quotes all the time and it is time to correct them.

As far as John seeing the light and changing sides - we'll have to take some time to see if the tiger really has changed his stripes.

wyntrout
06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Guns and stuff:

All Our Shirts - Conservative, Republican, Anti-Liberal, and other Political Shirts (http://www.thoseshirts.com/tshirts.html)

pbbad
08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Good article. I am really done with the NRA over this last move.

hobbydad
08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow, I love the last line on that U.N. shirt, lol.

"If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial America."

joje
08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Good article. I am really done with the NRA over this last move.

same here. i wrote them and asked what the hell they were doing and they basically responded that they don't give a flying f*** what happens to this country as long as THEY are allowed to push this ONE issue.

i can see why they rather stick to their guns, pun intended, rather than risk becoming some right wing version of ACLU but it just looked so incredibly bad when they first opposed 1st amendment right violations and then did a 180 once the violation got an exception that explicitly excluded the NRA.

wyntrout
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Man that just reminded me of the last catalog or flier from Sportsmans Guide.

If you want a hoot. Who in the heck would think wearing a blue UN beret would be "cool"!?

New Nato Military Beret, Light Blue, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=695498)

They have surplus uniforms and other stuff that I can't imagine any use for, and their ads pitch them as cool or something.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-belgian-military-officers-suit-olive-drab.aspx?a=695502

Wynn:rolleyes:

jlottmc
10-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I have heard that, but I'll wait and see if he really is a convert. Wynn, I think those shirts need to be uniforms for this place. Of course RY ABC is supposedly the most liberal of the media right now (newsmax.com reports that anyway).

wyntrout
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Stossel has always been the "opposing view" or counterpoint to the liberal favorites, and a Libertarian. I'm surprised that he was with ABC that long. "Give me a break" was kind of his byline and he was always rocking the liberals' boat. That was the only thing I watched on those "News Magazine Shows" 20/20 and 60 Minutes.
Wynn:)

RagnarD
10-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I've become a fan of Stossel's, mostly because his articles keep appearing in Reason Magazine (http://www.reason.com), a top notch libertarian website/magazine/blog.

Speaking of which, here's their cover story from last month about the huge and positive recent developments in Second Amendment law...
You?ve Come A Long Way, Baby - Reason Magazine (http://reason.com/archives/2010/09/13/youve-come-a-long-way-baby)

O'Dell
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Stossel has always been the "opposing view" or counterpoint to the liberal favorites, and a Libertarian. I'm surprised that he was with ABC that long. "Give me a break" was kind of his byline and he was always rocking the liberals' boat. That was the only thing I watched on those "News Magazine Shows" 20/20 and 60 Minutes.
Wynn:)

I've been a John Stossel for years because of his Libertarian views, although he has only recently admitted that he's Libertarian. I have both of his books. I always wondered why ABC kept him, since his commentaries were always 180 degrees off from everyone else there. I had the good fortune to be able to ask him last year, and although he was too modest to come out and say it, he was the most popular personality on ABC, and they value the bottom line. I suppose they finally bit the bullet and let him go, but I'm not surprised the FOX grabbed him.

Seahawk60
10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Because Heller applied only to Washington, that case was not the big one. "McDonald v. Chicago" is the big one, and the Supreme Court is expected to rule on that next week. Otis McDonald is a 76-year-old man who lives in a dangerous neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. He wants to buy a handgun, but Chicago forbids it.

If the Supremes say McDonald has that right, then restrictive gun laws will fall throughout America.

Despite my earlier bias, I now understand that striking down those laws will probably save lives.

This article was dated June 2010. Did I miss the ruling? What was the result if it indeed happened?

O'Dell
10-23-2010, 10:46 PM
This article was dated June 2010. Did I miss the ruling? What was the result if it indeed happened?

The Supremes ruled for McDonald 5-4. Of course then Mayor Daley went on a rampage doing everything he could to nullify the ruling; ie outlawing gun stores, eliminating ranges, etc. This is Chicago, where the law is whatever the political machine decides it is, and where Obama learned his politics.

Seahawk60
10-24-2010, 08:50 AM
So, is anyone else fighting this blatant FU to the Supreme Court's decision?

O'Dell
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
So, is anyone else fighting this blatant FU to the Supreme Court's decision?

You are, if you vote for a responsible and fiscally conservative Congress that will listen to the people a week from Tuesday. Should such a Congress be seated in January, the Executive branch, ie Obama and his sycophants, will effectively neutered for the next two years.

Don't forget that this is an especially important election year for Governors, because the census was conducted in 2010. That means that the governor and the state legislatures will control redistricting next year. So if you want more Democrats in the US Congress, just put more Democrats in the state offices.