PDA

View Full Version : TP9 grip chop

ruchik
10-28-2014, 01:18 AM
Hey all. I'd like to buy a TP9 ASAP. The only problem is that I cannot decide which generation of TP9 to go for.

If I get the newest TP9, with the extended dust cover and grip, then I will for sure do a grip chop down to P9 length. Otherwise, I'd go for the older TP9 that had the P9 frame to begin with. Were there any significant differences other frame frame dimensions between the older and newer TP9's? I seem to recall something about Kahr changing the design of the slide stop spring retention or some other.

And just to double check, this kind of grip chop should pose no problems, correct?

ruchik
10-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Anyone? I'd like to be sure before I go hacking away at the grip of a brand new TP9.

yqtszhj
10-29-2014, 03:46 AM
I dont know the answer to the question but I'm sure others want to know why are you going to chop tp9 rather than buy a p9 or even get a less expensive ct9 to modify?

Planedude
10-29-2014, 04:00 AM
Don't know the answer here either, but I'll agree, why chop a TP when the CT would make a far less expensive project donor.

I had to run away to resist a deal of $279 for CT9s at the gunshow this weekend. Went back twice, but it would have only been a range gun for me, as I have three "carry Kahrs" to pick from already...

Post photos when you get the project done. Good luck!

ruchik
10-29-2014, 04:59 AM
Because reasons!

So there's no problem in doing such a chop, like a P9 Covert modification, correct?

yqtszhj
10-29-2014, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't think so. P and cw models have been cut to pm and cm size.

CJB
10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Buy a CW9. Then, buy a TP9 slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly.

Done. Best of both worlds, and no risk to fubar the frame.

b4uqzme
10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
here's a guy who did it to a CW9 --- with pics.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?19029-grip-chop&highlight=grip+chop

Covert Kahr
11-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Really I don't think there is a big difference between the early and later model other than the number of rounds in the standard mag. I doubt the slide stop is any different. Possibly how it is made but unlikely. The chop can be done, just don't screw it up. I'm planning to chop my late model TP9 down to PM9 grip length as I'm planning to get my CCW and want to make it easier to carry. When I'm done I'll have a gun that is the same length and height as my old G27, but a lot thinner, lighter, and easier to conceal. I'll have 6+1 rounds compared to the 9 the glock had but considering that it is easier to conceale it is a trade-off I'm willing to make.

TheTman
11-21-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd just buy the P9, the extra, .4" inch of barrel doesn't make as much difference as the ammo you run. Or get the ported barrel for it, you gain the barrel length back, plus have porting to help with muzzle flip. I bought a ported barrel for my CW40, It does help. You lose the polygonal rifling, but gain the ability to shoot lead bullets, which you are not supposed to use in the polygonal rifled barrels, although I'm sure people do it. All the models warn about shooting lead bullets.

A few years back, a friend of mine loaded up some lead RN 9mm cartridges, and we put about half a dozen thru an original Italian Beretta M92 (before the military adopted it), and a Star Model 30. Groups tightened up noticeably with jacketed bullets after running the lead bullets thru the guns. My friend said that his Uncle told him about that trick. I'm not sure what it did physically to the barrel, other than leave a little lead in it, but it sure made a difference.

berettabone
11-21-2014, 10:44 AM
:der:

Covert Kahr
11-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I can't post pictures of it but my new mag showed up today so I cut about 1" off the grip and beveled the well with the dremel. Put the 6 round mag it and it snapped in tight. I took it to the range and I couldn't be happier.

ReManG
11-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Go say HI, in the new member forum about 30 times... Then you can post pics. I would like to see this mod!

Covert Kahr
11-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Go say HI, in the new member forum about 30 times... Then you can post pics. I would like to see this mod!

I'll have to give it a try. I'd post them if I had a web hosting but I'm a little old fashioned.

ReManG
11-25-2014, 08:06 PM
I am with you on the old fashioned, when you can, I would like to see that mod....

Covert Kahr
11-25-2014, 08:35 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/948793028bfb2c378a9c75dc3e3be4fd.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/4cd12fdb6a7df0c40e10dc6488121588.jpg

Here it is

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/6f2b3c38b68cece892612808db5b64e8.jpg

And with the 8 round mag in for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covert Kahr
11-25-2014, 08:36 PM
I need to clean the grip tread up a little as I'm putting an agrip on it. I had one on my glock and it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leftysixty
11-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Well done! Let us know what you think after you've worked with it for a while. :biggrin1:

ReManG
11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Worth the wait, thanks! Looks great.....

berettabone
11-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Next time, save yourself some trouble and time and buy a PM9...............same thing:faint2:

Covert Kahr
11-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Next time, save yourself some trouble and time and buy a PM9...............same thing:faint2:

And no. The TP-9 Covert has an additional 1" of barrel which is what I wanted. Better site radius, better leverage in the holster, just as easy to conceal IWB, and longer lasting mechanics (single spring over double). PM9's are great pocket guns but that wasn't what I was after. Total time from start to finish was under 1 hour using a bench vise, digital level, hack saw, palm sander, and a dremel to chamfer the mag well. I also took just a little material off the right side of the trigger guard next to the grip.

First 100 rounds it's hard to judge as I haven't shot in a while with ammo scarcity but after the first 50 I was used to shooting again and was doing a lot better at grouping. Too much time without practice makes for a slow warm up. I alternated between 2 and 1 hand shooting and it did fine in both. The barrel is a little jumpier than before but I attribute that to no room for a pinky. Whenever the Agrip arrives I'm planning to take an afternoon to try it again. I may even see if my wife wants to give it a try and report back.

b4uqzme
11-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Well done. I'm glad you got what you want. Question: what's up with the stippling practice? Was that part of your motivation to chop this one? ;)

Covert Kahr
11-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Well done. I'm glad you got what you want. Question: what's up with the stippling practice? Was that part of your motivation to chop this one? ;)

No, I planned to stipple the grip instead of the Agrip so I practiced on the Kahr box (stipples nicely) and on the end of the grip (didn't stipple nearly so well) and decided to go with the Agrip. I like the look of a nice stippled grip but the kahr frame tended to stick the iron which would have been less than ideal. I used an Agrip on my glock and while it isn't as appealing as the stippling it works very well.

b4uqzme
11-26-2014, 04:35 PM
^^ Good choice. I've seen some good stippling jobs but I have a lot of respect for those who can pull it off.

berettabone
11-27-2014, 08:21 AM
And no. The TP-9 Covert has an additional 1" of barrel which is what I wanted. Better site radius, better leverage in the holster, just as easy to conceal IWB, and longer lasting mechanics (single spring over double). PM9's are great pocket guns but that wasn't what I was after. Total time from start to finish was under 1 hour using a bench vise, digital level, hack saw, palm sander, and a dremel to chamfer the mag well. I also took just a little material off the right side of the trigger guard next to the grip.

First 100 rounds it's hard to judge as I haven't shot in a while with ammo scarcity but after the first 50 I was used to shooting again and was doing a lot better at grouping. Too much time without practice makes for a slow warm up. I alternated between 2 and 1 hand shooting and it did fine in both. The barrel is a little jumpier than before but I attribute that to no room for a pinky. Whenever the Agrip arrives I'm planning to take an afternoon to try it again. I may even see if my wife wants to give it a try and report back.

You had an extra inch of barrel before you chopped it. Sorry, I just don't like to see perfectly good firearms get hacked up, just because. I would bet that this firearm will become null and void in the future, and unsellable. JMHO. Eveyone has one.:o

Covert Kahr
11-27-2014, 01:01 PM
You had an extra inch of barrel before you chopped it. Sorry, I just don't like to see perfectly good firearms get hacked up, just because. I would bet that this firearm will become null and void in the future, and unsellable. JMHO. Eveyone has one.:o

I still have an extra inch of barrel after the chop. Not sure where you think it went but I only cut the grip. As for customizing my gun I was told the same about my glock and I sold it more than I paid new for it. Some people want something that the market doesn't offer, I'm one of those people.

On a side note, finished my first IWB holster for the Kahr this morning. It is a little rough but I'm not too worried about that. For what it needs to do it is more than adequate.

ReManG
11-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I still have an extra inch of barrel after the chop. Not sure where you think it went but I only cut the grip. As for customizing my gun I was told the same about my glock and I sold it more than I paid new for it. Some people want something that the market doesn't offer, I'm one of those people.

On a side note, finished my first IWB holster for the Kahr this morning. It is a little rough but I'm not too worried about that. For what it needs to do it is more than adequate.

I think you did an outstanding job on the chop. I do not come to forums like this to see the same stuff I can see in the LGS anyway. I come here for what others are doing with their Kahrs, not some form of Mutual Admiration Society "yours and mine look the same" teenage girl stuff anyway. Kudos on the cajones to actually cut the SN part, some people cannot even take their slide apart. I know that I have gained confidence from others ventures on the net, I have made mistakes too, but got over them. I would more than likely do this to the new CT380 if the %#$@! SN plate wasn't so low to prevent it....

Covert Kahr
11-27-2014, 04:49 PM
I think you did an outstanding job on the chop. I do not come to forums like this to see the same stuff I can see in the LGS anyway. I come here for what others are doing with their Kahrs, not some form of Mutual Admiration Society "yours and mine look the same" teenage girl stuff anyway. Kudos on the cajones to actually cut the SN part, some people cannot even take their slide apart. I know that I have gained confidence from others ventures on the net, I have made mistakes too, but got over them. I would more than likely do this to the new CT380 if the %#$@! SN plate wasn't so low to prevent it....

I'm not sure why folks think I cut the barrel. I just did a simple grip cutoff. I left the barrel and frame at length. My biggest worry was cutting the frame too short and having the mag stick out. I like how it carries and shoots. Just hoping the agrip gets here soon and then signing up for the next ccw course.

ReManG
11-27-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure why folks think I cut the barrel. I just did a simple grip cutoff. I left the barrel and frame at length. My biggest worry was cutting the frame too short and having the mag stick out. I like how it carries and shoots. Just hoping the agrip gets here soon and then signing up for the next ccw course.

Yeah, I am not getting that either. I suppose you could put a shorter top end on, but then the pistol would look like it had one of those severe underbites with the dust cover sticking out like that.... hahaha.... I think the short grip is way more practical than shorter in both dimensions, I like what you did with this and the ironic thing is the new CT9 is about $20 less than a CM9 on slickguns.... so that may be a project for me, thanks for blazing the way here...

I had not heard of the Agrip before, if you get it in time, would you mind posting a review of it here, with pictures? I looked it up and I believe I have seen it before, but did not pay attention at the time....

berettabone
11-28-2014, 02:43 PM

If you re read your statement, you say the TP9 has an additional 1" barrel length over the PM9, which is what you wanted. I replied that you still have a 1" barrel length advantage, whether you cut the grip off or not. No one( I think) thinks that you cut off any part of the barrel. Sarcasm is a constant here, and reading is fundamental.:rolleyes:

Covert Kahr
11-28-2014, 11:40 PM
If you re read your statement, you say the TP9 has an additional 1" barrel length over the PM9, which is what you wanted. I replied that you still have a 1" barrel length advantage, whether you cut the grip off or not. No one( I think) thinks that you cut off any part of the barrel. Sarcasm is a constant here, and reading is fundamental.:rolleyes:

i said the tp-9 covert has 1" longer barrel and same grip size. You said it had 1" longer barrel indicating that it no longer had a 1" barrel length advantage over the pm series. Maybe your sarcasm font isn't installed properly.

berettabone
11-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Nevermind...........wow..........:der:

Covert Kahr
11-29-2014, 08:59 AM

You had an extra inch of barrel before you chopped it.

Maybe you don't write as well as you think you do? :confused:

Anyways, stopping by wally world for some ammo and then going out to try out the Agrip with the molded stippling sanded smooth on the front and back of the grip. I've noticed in working on the Kahr that for some reason the plastic Kahr uses builds up heat and doesn't sand as fast as the plastic used by glock. Not sure what would cause this but it might be useful to someone.

ReManG
12-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Anyways, stopping by wally world for some ammo and then going out to try out the Agrip with the molded stippling sanded smooth on the front and back of the grip. I've noticed in working on the Kahr that for some reason the plastic Kahr uses builds up heat and doesn't sand as fast as the plastic used by glock. Not sure what would cause this but it might be useful to someone.

I have had good luck with an exacto type knife to remove plastic on both the Glock and Kahr frames... With the polymer, it is easier to control for me to cut the offending nubs off when I am doing this than sanding as the polymer can get heated and change. Blades like the #17 (http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/Lightweight-Chiseling-Blade-17.aspx) or #104 (http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/Carving-Blade-104.aspx) work really well for me....

Covert Kahr
12-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Finally got out yesterday to try it with the aGrip. I really liked it for handling and shooting. My wife tried it out as well and didn't have any problems holding and aiming it. I only shot the orange reactive target so I can't say that I've bench tested it, just general 10 yard practice using the 6 round mags.

ReManG, I didn't think of using a knife. That probably would have been better for removing the nubs. Sanding them did heat up.

pavementends
12-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Covert Kahr,

I completely understand what you did. In addition to the longer site radius it will carry better in an IWB holster. Back in the dark ages we carried a 3" chiefs special for the same reason.
Later we had the Springfield XD with a 5" barrel and short grip and the Colt CCO again with a short grip and longer barrel. It still works for me and and am glad you're happy with your modified Kahr.
pavementends

Covert Kahr
12-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Covert Kahr,

I completely understand what you did. In addition to the longer site radius it will carry better in an IWB holster. Back in the dark ages we carried a 3" chiefs special for the same reason.
Later we had the Springfield XD with a 5" barrel and short grip and the Colt CCO again with a short grip and longer barrel. It still works for me and and am glad you're happy with your modified Kahr.
pavementends

Thank you! This week will be my first chance to try it for concealed carry.

Covert Kahr
08-31-2019, 11:28 PM
Long overdue update. This has been my carry gun for the past 3+ years. I’ve used a belly band style carry and have carried in everything from shirt and tie to jogging shorts and t-shirt without problems. The barrel has had a tendency to print, but nothing too noticeable.

I’m now considering buying a P9 and making a covert or other options. Up in the air right now, just very pleased with it day to day.

Bawanna
09-01-2019, 09:04 AM
I used a wood burner with a flat tip and melted those nubs down smooth. Then I put on a rounded tip and stippled the grip. Good comfortable grip texture but not as aggressive as the factory nubs.

If you been carrying for 3 years, it must work for you. Good luck with the P9.

Covert Kahr
09-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I am not getting that either. I suppose you could put a shorter top end on, but then the pistol would look like it had one of those severe underbites with the dust cover sticking out like that.... hahaha....

Reading this again. I may have read it wrong, but I think kahr is now offering a long grip/short barrel combo.

Scott321
09-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Reading this again. I may have read it wrong, but I think kahr is now offering a long grip/short barrel combo.

Although not the 9mm, my TP45's dust cover is the same length as my CW45. I tried swapping the slides to see what it would look like but never shot it in this configuration.

Covert Kahr
09-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Although not the 9mm, my TP45's dust cover is the same length as my CW45. I tried swapping the slides to see what it would look like but never shot it in this configuration.

As long as the rails and stops are in the right places, it should run. I hadn’t considered the 45. Always figured if I went that way, I’d go 1911.

Scott321
09-20-2019, 09:37 PM
As long as the rails and stops are in the right places, it should run. I hadn’t considered the 45. Always figured if I went that way, I’d go 1911.

I own a .45 and 10mm 1911, and shot a few different models/sizes by Colt back in the day. However, I like the light DAO style trigger of the Kahr for carry, and similarly can't bring myself to purchase a Defender/Officers size that holds the same amount of rounds with a bigger footprint, heavier weight, and hefty price tag for that same duty... although there have been a couple recently that caught my eye. For the record, I had to do some light sanding at the top of the backstrap to get the grip feeling hunkydory.

Covert Kahr
10-03-2019, 07:08 PM
I own a .45 and 10mm 1911, and shot a few different models/sizes by Colt back in the day. However, I like the light DAO style trigger of the Kahr for carry, and similarly can't bring myself to purchase a Defender/Officers size that holds the same amount of rounds with a bigger footprint, heavier weight, and hefty price tag for that same duty... although there have been a couple recently that caught my eye. For the record, I had to do some light sanding at the top of the backstrap to get the grip feeling hunkydory.

Agreed. A 1911 would be a range gun.

Bawanna
10-03-2019, 08:34 PM
The world is my range and a 1911 lives on my belt usually with a PM45 elsewhere on my anatomy.

HuskyPurpleDinosaur
11-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Long overdue update. This has been my carry gun for the past 3+ years. I’ve used a belly band style carry and have carried in everything from shirt and tie to jogging shorts and t-shirt without problems. The barrel has had a tendency to print, but nothing too noticeable.

I’m now considering buying a P9 and making a covert or other options. Up in the air right now, just very pleased with it day to day.
As an addition or a replacement to your TP9 Covert? The balance of the TP9/PM9 feel OK in the hand? Not too front heavy? Thanks!

Covert Kahr
11-13-2019, 07:41 PM
As an addition or a replacement to your TP9 Covert? The balance of the TP9/PM9 feel OK in the hand? Not too front heavy? Thanks!

I love the balance of the TP9 covert. It is a little front heavy, but nothing to get excited about. I ended up getting a P365 and getting an XL slide for it to make it covert size. Also has red dot mounting. Still debating if I’m going to keep it that way. Generally the P365 is about the same size as a P9 Covert. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191114/5005fdcbf4dd6079a9aa8c5fa9ad9050.jpg

Covert Kahr
11-13-2019, 07:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191114/813ab115178e3e8f282d0cffb47fa4bc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191114/444d8b64e8f66b41120fb3c48f32b933.jpg