PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Supreme Elite

getsome
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Has anyone tried these and do you like them...I was at Bass Pro Shops last night to pick up some .45 long colt bullets for handloading and saw several boxes of Winchester .40 cal $19.00 for 25 so I picked up a box to see how they work...I normally carry Remington Golden Saber which they also had for $31.00 for 20 as well as the Hornady FTX for the same price as the Remington so I figured why not give the Winchesters a try....I ended up spending $25.00 for a box of 50 300 grain Hornady .45 bullets, $34.00 for a box of 100 240 grain Hornady .44 cal bullets and $19.00 for the Winchester .40 cal rounds... With tax it came to $96.00 and change!!!...:2eek:...I gotta find a cheaper hobby as I only intended to spend $50.00 or less....I did have an interesting experience while looking at the gun counter...A young lady in her early 20's or so told the sales guy she had never shot before and didn't know anything about guns but was looking to buy a pistol....The guy first brings out the most expensive Kimber 1911 .45 which was way too much gun for this very tiny girl....Next he brings out another expensive Sig .40 cal which she also said was too big and heavy...The last gun was the little Sig p238 which she liked but didn't buy saying she wanted to get her boyfriend to help her decide what to get....After she walked away I asked him to see the Sig p238 and it is a nice gun but I told him I wouldn't feel comfortable with a co#ked and locked single action in my pocked...The guy looked at me kind of funny and said, what is co#ked and locked mean and I had to explain to him the difference between a single action pistol and double action design...He was a nice enough guy but didn't have a clue about guns even though he was giving advice and selling to customers....I told him thanks and walked away with my very expensive bag of lead......

Bawanna
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Yup, the blind leading the blind. I hate that very much. While it's embarassing sometimes to family around me, I don't hesitate to jump in and save the novist gun hunter. You could have rescued that damsel in distress although I've saved a few guys too.
I did an on the job training period years ago and their sales team policy was like a car lot. Sell them the first thing they look at, thats what they want. If I could have heard I would have owned that place. They got ticked with my patient helpfulness and sending people away to think on stuff rather than buy what they might not really want. The shop had little inventory and operated on the find out what they want and we'll order it. Don't work. I only lasted about a month but out sold all the experts and had a large following in that brief period. Folks that wouldn't buy unless I was there. I loved it and enjoyed it but my poor hearing and their style weren't complatible.
What do you shoot 300 grain 45 colt in. Rifle or pistol?

getsome
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi Bawan, Yea I thought about helping the nice lady out but after I saw she wasn't going to buy anything yet I just listened to what was being said while pretending to look at guns....The guy never even mentioned a revolver to her and didn't ask what she intended to use the pistol for....If she had started to buy that $1200.00 Kimber I would have offered some advice...(Real nice gun but not for a beginning shooter IMO) and I hope her boyfriend knows something about guns and helps her out with the decision... Now about the .45 long colt bullets, I have a Cimarron .45 colt peacemaker reproduction pistol and its really hard to find .45 long colt ammo so I reload what little brass I have...I had been using 200 grain lead bullets over a light cowboy load but ran out and the 300 grain JHP bullets was all Bass Pro Shop had available...I have never fired a 300 grain load through the pistol before so I'm going to use the lightest load in the book to reduce the recoil...I only target shoot the Cimaron and sometimes carry it when deer hunting as its light, handy and if it gets banged up it won't bother me....

deadhead1971
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
sounds like you need a wagon to haul your payload.

What type of gun are you shooting .45 LC with? I have an "old model" pre 2005 Ruger Vaquero that is .45 LC but I have not messed with it in 5 years. I have had all 6 cylinder throats reamed to .4525. I had them checked, and 2 throats measured .4510 and the other four .4505. Sixguns in .45 are known to have undersized throats which cause accuracy issues. This explains the problem-- Ruger Vaquero 45 Cylinder Doctor, repair,reaming (http://www.alaskais.com/45Cylinderdoctor/)

I did send my cylinder off to be reamed but it was not the business linked above. The forcing cone on my Vaquero also had to be re-cut--it was a mess from the manufacture.

deadhead1971
06-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I posted before seeing your next post. So you have a sixgun too.

Bawanna
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Bawan, Yea I thought about helping the nice lady out but after I saw she wasn't going to buy anything yet I just listened to what was being said while pretending to look at guns....The guy never even mentioned a revolver to her and didn't ask what she intended to use the pistol for....If she had started to buy that $1200.00 Kimber I would have offered some advice...(Real nice gun but not for a beginning shooter IMO) and I hope her boyfriend knows something about guns and helps her out with the decision... Now about the .45 long colt bullets, I have a Cimarron .45 colt peacemaker reproduction pistol and its really hard to find .45 long colt ammo so I reload what little brass I have...I had been using 200 grain lead bullets over a light cowboy load but ran out and the 300 grain JHP bullets was all Bass Pro Shop had available...I have never fired a 300 grain load through the pistol before so I'm going to use the lightest load in the book to reduce the recoil...I only target shoot the Cimaron and sometimes carry it when deer hunting as its light, handy and if it gets banged up it won't bother me....

I have a birdshead vaquero and an Uberti birdshead cattleman? I reload too as finding it is tough. I stumbled onto a couple hundred starline cases a few years ago so I'm babying them. I've been using the silver bullet?? lead 200 grain but just recently the range I go to said no more lead except 22 so guess the 2000 lead bullets I have left are destined for outside. I'll probably try some Rainier TMJ's if they make them. I use those for practice 45acp and they work pretty well. I get the hollowpoint version, same price as ball so they work for defense in a pinch.
I also have a Puma 45 Colt lever rifle that I plumb love to pieces. Octagon 18" barrel and I put a Marble tang sight on it. Great fun! I should have been a cowboy.
So Long Pard

getsome
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
My Cimarron is made by Uberti then assembled and finished by Cimarron...I need to get the barrel re-blued (Tried to do it myself but made a mess of it) The gun shoots great and is quite accurate for what it is....As for reloading supplies, I think they saw an opportunity with the ammo shortage to jack the price of everything up....I really think it costs me more to reload than if I can pick up WWB at wally world for range use....I like to reload as it gives me something to do when its too hot outside or raining, I find it relaxing but I really can't say it saves me any money that I can see....

Bawanna
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree. It's like all components took a huge jump in price, at first I think there was mass hoarding, you couldn't even get bullets. Then primers totally dried up, couldn't buy one for any price, just not available.
Supply is beginning to improve but I notice the prices remain very high, kind of like oil. Stage a shortage till the price is up, then the shortage goes away but the huddled masses are used to the high price.

Years ago I blew up a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt, blew the cylinder out of it with a PO Ackerly tri plex load. I figured if it worked in an old carbine a modern strong ruger could take it. Fortunately I propped it up with bags of shot and pulled the trigger from behind a rock with a fishing line. Looked ok when I picked it up other than all the shot bags were tore to pieces and shot everyplace. Thought I'd give it a go but the cylinder wouldn't rotate. Bulged big time.
I sent it back to Ruger to replace the cylinder and they refinished the whole gun like new. No charge but a stern letter stating it was my fault and not theirs which I admitted from the get go. Sad thing is the gun had a lot of wear character from years of hunting and packing it around. Wasn't the same no more when it was all shiney and new looking. Ended up selling it.
That was the same episode I've mentioned before where I spoke to Bill Ruger the man himself. He answered the phone when I called about it. A phone call I'll remember long as I'm drawing air into my lungs. Nice guy, great guy.

getsome
06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I had a .41 mag blackhawk and it was a real nice shooter and I wish I had it back....I got a DA idea to send it off for an action job and when I got it back You could breathe on it too hard and it would fire.....(bad idea).....I sent it back to Ruger with a letter explaining what I did and they repaired the gun to better than factory specs and sent it back at no charge...I wish I had her back but there many others I wish I had back too.....Its difficult being a gunaholic sometimes....