PDA

View Full Version : Mag Release

FMF4
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a PM9 with a very sensitive mag release button, it takes very little pressure to release the magazine. I carry it in a Don Hume IWB holster and constantly have to push the mag back into the magazine well because it has been slightly ejected. Has anybody else experienced similar issues?

ltxi
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Don Hume IWB exposes the mag release button a bit more than my Alessi, Mitch Rosen, or newly acquired De Fatti holsters.....but I've had no problem with inadvertant mag release with it.

Dietrich
09-22-2009, 04:30 AM
I`ve never had a problem with the magazine release either. Is it a problem all the time or just when you holster it?

jocko
09-22-2009, 06:35 AM
I have a PM9 with a very sensitive mag release button, it takes very little pressure to release the magazine. I carry it in a Don Hume IWB holster and constantly have to push the mag back into the magazine well because it has been slightly ejected. Has anybody else experienced similar issues?

SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. My bet isyou have a bad out os spec mag release. I would call kahr and they wills end you a new release, and also ask for a new mag release spring also. . take the slide off and with a long nose needle pliers you can installthat mag release in aobut 5 minutes - tops...

rock
09-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I had a similar problem a number of years ago. Kahr sent me a heavier spring. You can also try a spring from a 1911 as well. I have one in one of mine and it works great.

jocko
09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
karh says there is no "heavier" spring..Their metal mag release has a little longer lip on it, there fore grabbing into the magazine opening further, there fore causing one to push in the mag release button further to release, giving the impression of a heavier spring but in reality NOT.

FMF4
09-22-2009, 03:21 PM
It is a problem all the time whether it is in the holster or not, the slightest pressure on the magazine release and it ejects the mag.
I emailed Kahr and the tech said that either the magazine catch is slightly out of spec or the spring is weak. He said that he would mail those items out to me right away.
thank you for the responses.

jocko
09-23-2009, 01:50 AM
It is a problem all the time whether it is in the holster or not, the slightest pressure on the magazine release and it ejects the mag.
I emailed Kahr and the tech said that either the magazine catch is slightly out of spec or the spring is weak. He said that he would mail those items out to me right away.
thank you for the responses.

will solve ur problem..

keoni
09-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I had a similar problem a number of years ago. Kahr sent me a heavier spring. You can also try a spring from a 1911 as well. I have one in one of mine and it works great.

1911 spring is quite different from a PM9 mag release spring. How were you able to install it?

I sanded the button so that less of it protruded. no more inadvertent mag drops.

Cappy
09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Have had no problem with mine. Must be something off spec.

FMF4
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I received my magazine catch and spring today. I removed the old catch and spring and noticed right away that the new catch had a deeper and more prominent edge where it catches the magazine. It was also made of steel instead of plastic. The old catch has a metal insert in it but it was not all the way to the edge of the catch and the plastic on the edge was rounded, probably why it would release with the slightest pressure.
The new spring was a little longer than the old one and would not fit so I had to take my Dremel and buzz a little off. I really don't think the spring was the problem at all.
I put everything back together and problem solved. The customer service experience that I have had when dealing with Kahr has always been hassle free. They have been extremely helpful with any questions or issues that I may have had. Kudos to Kahr.

Cappy
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Good to hear the problem was solved, and Kahr took care of you! :)

mic214
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I had the same exact mag release problem with my PM9. I got a new mag release and spring from Kahr and it took care of the problem!

Kahr customer service is great in my book:D!!!

Norfdet
10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
thanks to this forum, I called Kahr and ordered a replacement magazine release and spring. They acknowledged my e-mail on Monday and I received it today. I used curved forceps and it took me about 5 minutes to change it out; what a difference the metal over the plastic makes.

rock
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
1911 spring is quite different from a PM9 mag release spring. How were you able to install it?

I sanded the button so that less of it protruded. no more inadvertent mag drops.

Sorry, mine was installed on a MK40. And at that time Kahr did have a heavier spring as they sent it to me and also were the one that told me a 1911 spring may work as well.

zena
10-11-2009, 06:35 PM

I also carry in a Don Hume and have had no problems. And depending on wardrobe, it goes in and out of the Don Hume and a pocket holster daily. Good to hear Kahr took such good care of you with resolving the problem.