PDA

View Full Version : good conceal and fast draw

marcinstl
12-08-2014, 09:40 AM
under the heading, "learn something new everyday", I came across a way to carry and draw that works well, for me. I'm sort of the typical, old, fat, American guy. I watch youtube videos and see Hickok45 and others carrying IWB at 4 o'clock, I tried that and it sucks, starts messing with my back, useless in a car, probably prints. so for some time I was carrying OWB at 3o'clock with a big shirt, that sucked too. kind of by accident, I discovered 1o'clock or "Mexican carry"(Yankee Marshal explains that's a valid term). I had a Remora holster and started carrying that way. now have a IWB holster with clip and bought another Remora. here's what's going on--- the gut pushes the shirt out and gives plenty of tent effect down and over the belt line, any small gun (CM9) in a holster will be hidden in the waistband under the gut (hell, I could carry a 1911 there). plenty of padding there so it's very comfortable. with the gun right in front it's an easy matter to get the shirt up and lift the gun out, get 2 hands on it, lock the elbows into the sides and bang. very fast first shot. only holster setup I've ever tried that works; standing, sitting or driving.
(the down side to "appendix carry" is the first few hours when your worrying about shooting "Mr. Happy". get over that.)

mser
12-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Indeed, a great way to carry. I've carried IWB at the 10 to 11 o'clock position (I'm left handed) for quite a while. I find it comfortable and it works well for me when I'm wearing a loose fitting untucked shirt. I don't care for IWB anywhere else, or OWB. Just doesn't work for me. Other methods I use, depending on my mode of dress, include pocket and ankle.

berettabone
12-08-2014, 03:31 PM
If life were easier, I would just open carry all of the time.......................it is the most comfortable.............since I don't have that luxury, I am able to IWB at 2:00. Sitting, standing, etc. But it is also the only way I can IWB. One or two o'clock does seem to be the best. Yes, shirts of almost any type will pillow nicely. I wear T shirts mostly, and even those will work well. I have help from a High Noon Centerfold holster. The only one I have tried that actually is bearable. I know they say............carrying isn't supposed to be comfortable, but comforting......but..............if it isn't comfortable, your not going to continue. I still prefer the front pocket for carry, for now.

muggsy
12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Mexican carry is without a holster. You just tuck the gun into your waistband. With a holster it's know as the appendix carry position. I've carried that way most of my life. You have easy access to the gun and it takes the least amount of movement to get the gun into play. Clear, rotate and fire. I don't think that there's a better way to carry concealed.

marcinstl
12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I get a kick out of shopping holster companies. they might have a well built, good looking, IWB holster and I look down the list to see if they have one for a CM9 and usually find they do. here's the part that gives me a chuckle-- they can also provide a similar holster sized for a Glock 21, etc. anybody carry a 8.22"x 5.47"x 1.27", 40 oz. pistol? (girls think the bulge is you?)

Barth
12-29-2014, 07:57 PM
I prefer cross draw.
For me it's very fast...
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/barthunderwood/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo1138_zps62e5253f.jpg?1419908138594

stevec5ws6
12-29-2014, 08:31 PM
I have used a beltbag, mexican cross draw at 9'o clock with a good solid gun belt is one of my favorites. the other is OWb at 2.5-3... the angle of the gun and your body has a lot to d with it though.

gunnutz
12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
I just tried this today... I love it.

Bill K
12-31-2014, 04:38 PM
When not pocket carrying my primary it is appendix carried in that approximately that position.

I always thought Mexican carry was without a holster as a previous poster mentioned and I thought also cross drawn - grip pointing towards the belly button.

gunnutz
12-31-2014, 04:49 PM
I tried it one time a while back and I didn't like it. I tried it today and I adjusted it. After the initial discomfort it was fine. After pocket that will be my main carry. At least with the snubbie anyway. What I love about that position is you can not see it at all.

garyb
01-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Every one is different. Experiment, decide what is most comfortable for you.... and just carry.