PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Kahr CT9

gunpackinpanda
01-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I traded a SKS for a brand new CT9 at my gunshop and so far i love it. Its kinda plain jane though i got a buddy that cerakotes and is a career pistol smith. I wanna deck it out. I was thinking maybe port the barrel and crown it have him do some trigger work. Has anybody here done a full build on one?

muggsy
01-03-2015, 08:33 AM
You bought a hammer. Pound nails with it. Why would anyone want to cerakote or port a hammer?

gunpackinpanda
01-03-2015, 09:11 AM
You bought a hammer. Pound nails with it. Why would anyone want to cerakote or port a hammer?

A hammer? All i have heard or read is high praise of how good a carry gun the CT9 makes. I wanna put my personal touch on it

muggsy
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
That you can do, but your CT9 will still be just a tool. And a very fine tool at that. I guess I'm just old school. I can't see putting a lot of money into a gun that the police will take away from me if I ever have to defend myself.

ulflyer
01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I traded a SKS for a brand new CT9 at my gunshop and so far i love it. Its kinda plain jane though i got a buddy that cerakotes and is a career pistol smith. I wanna deck it out. I was thinking maybe port the barrel and crown it have him do some trigger work. Has anybody here done a full build on one?

Make sure it functions as it should, then go for it. Post some pics after its cerakoted.
Lots of guys like to mod up their toys, be it a bike, car, or whatnot. Enjoy.

McE
01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
If I had disposable income and a carry piece to mod up, melting would be at the top of the list

marshal kane
01-04-2015, 07:48 AM
. . . I can't see putting a lot of money into a gun that the police will take away from me if I ever have to defend myself.
I can see your point. I can see someone sitting in the defendant's box while the prosecutor displays a tricked out gun to the jury. Says the prosecutor, "See this tricked out gun? Assassin's weapon! Note the ported barrel and slide. That's to silence the report! Look at the crowned muzzle. That's to increase the velocity making the bullets more deadly! See the cerakote? That's to hide the color of the gun so's it's almost invisible! Look at the custom grips. Fitted for an assassin's hand! See the hollow point bullets? Powerful enough to knock down an elephant!" and it goes on with more witless drivel from a non-shooting prosecutor anxious to make his monthly quota. No adding more fuel to the fire for me. If the police take my gun, it will be plain jane loaded with ball ammunition. All I want to work on is being able to use it effectively and accurately. YMMV

muggsy
01-04-2015, 09:40 AM
I guess I'm just a practical man. A carry gun should be just that, carried.

Bill K
01-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I can see your point. I can see someone sitting in the defendant's box while the prosecutor displays a tricked out gun to the jury. Says the prosecutor, "See this tricked out gun? Assassin's weapon! Note the ported barrel and slide. That's to silence the report! Look at the crowned muzzle. That's to increase the velocity making the bullets more deadly! See the cerakote? That's to hide the color of the gun so's it's almost invisible! Look at the custom grips. Fitted for an assassin's hand! See the hollow point bullets? Powerful enough to knock down an elephant!" and it goes on with more witless drivel from a non-shooting prosecutor anxious to make his monthly quota. No adding more fuel to the fire for me. If the police take my gun, it will be plain jane loaded with ball ammunition. All I want to work on is being able to use it effectively and accurately. YMMV

In a "clean" shoot none of that should matter but I think some of what you say is right and could be a real concern should there be a trial whether criminal or civil.

gunpackinpanda
01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Well it will be my carry gun. Like any other gun owner i hope i never have to use it. But i will be ready should that time come.

As for the pimping. Im a knife maker by trade and have have this condition where i cant leave anything stock. Gotta change it up or rebuild it.

Does anybody have pics of a CT9 with mods. ? I cant seeem to find any.

b4uqzme
01-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Have you checked out the "Our Favorite Kahrs" picture thread? They might not be CT9's but there are quite a few ideas in there. Also maybe look around for gb6491's melt job. It is very tastefully done.

gunpackinpanda
01-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Ill check that out thanks man

jkar4242
01-17-2015, 02:48 PM
In a "clean" shoot none of that should matter but I think some of what you say is right and could be a real concern should there be a trial whether criminal or civil.
Keep this in mind. Most law enforcement will hold the firearm unless it is determined at the scene to be justified. The other side is even if there are no charges or true-bill returned, if it goes that far, you will in most cases find yourself in civil court.
jkar

addictedhealer
02-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Kinda tired of the whole court and lawyer dance about gun modifications. Trayvon matin case was one of the biggest in the nation and they didn't talk about the gun in the slightest.

A good shoot is a good shoot.

Do what you want to your gun. I have a cw9 and have done a few "upgrades" to it.

ripley16
02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Does anybody have pics of a CT9 with mods. ? I cant seeem to find any.

A few folks have cut the grip size down to take a 7 (or even 6) round magazine. You have a limited choice in sights unless you change out the front one, maybe cut a dovetail. Color is up to you. I like a black gun for carry personally so cerakote in a dark color is cool.

Personally I see no need and use for porting a small caliber pistol, especially one for defense. I dislike shooting ported guns near my hip, gut or any other body part.

The gun is already very carry friendly but I suppose a little filing here and there could make it smoother. Little gain here IMHO.

Good luck with your project. keep us up on your changes.

mrgreg5000
12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Nice

TheTman
12-22-2015, 08:01 AM
It's your gun, I reckon you can fix her up anyway you want too. I would think the porting would be unnecessary, but If you want it go for it. I have a CT45 that a friend "hocked" to me that I think I am probably going to end up owning. I'll probably cut the grip down to CW size, but that would be about as far as I'd customize it. I think I'd like the bit longer barrel and sight radius on a CW sized frame.

RonW
12-22-2015, 01:29 PM

On behalf of Kahr talk forums, I would like to apologize in advance for some of these ridiculous comments the others posted. If you guys have nothing positive to say, then please, don't post it, I mean c'mon. really?

The kahr CT9 is just as good, just as reliable as any other kahr pistol and if you want to cerakote it, then go for it... Now if you are serious about upgrading the heck out of it then you should have considered buying the Gen 2 9mm as it's already decked out for competition.

As for these other comments regarding using it for self defense, cops taking it away from you, courts bla bla bla.... In all honestly, unless you guys have credible first hand experience that you can back up & share with us...I'd take it with a grain of salt for what it is... Nothing but air.. Now if you want my advice...

Here it is,
Educate yourselves first on the law.
If you ever god forbid get involved in a shooting, tell the truth. You were a victim of a felony assault and have no choice but to use deadly force in defending yourself from serious harm/death. You tell the truth & it will set you free. Literally. Tell your lawyer (in Texas, any deaths go before a grand jury, if they return a no true bill, you're free, and you get your gun back) If the grand jury deciedes otherwise, then tell your lawyer that you going to use affirmative defense, if he says otherwise, fire him. If you feel that using affirmative defense on your behalf is not the way to go.. well.... face it you might have screwed up & really do in fact... need a good lawyer

I expect a bunch of ridiculous comments, so by all means guys/gals... go for it...

Chuck54
12-22-2015, 04:14 PM
WOW tell me where the Gen 2 Kahrs are available I can't seem to locate one.

RonW
12-22-2015, 09:56 PM

I would assume your LGS or favorite FFL can order one for you.... I don't know, I have no need for one myself....

http://www.kahr.com/gen2-premium.asp

Ronni3_J
12-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Welcome! I too coated my CW9 since I wanted too add my personal touches to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonW
12-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Kinda tired of the whole court and lawyer dance about gun modifications. Trayvon matin case was one of the biggest in the nation and they didn't talk about the gun in the slightest.

A good shoot is a good shoot.

Do what you want to your gun. I have a cw9 and have done a few "upgrades" to it.

Actually that is not true.... The prosecutor, John Guy, during the opening statements made a big deal that zimmerman carried a live round in the chamber. Trying to imply Malice on Zimmerman's part.. CNN Nancy Grace on her show made a big stink over the fact that the PF9 had no manual safety. The Kel Tec PF9 is a DAO pistol. They also covered the Seller & bellot 9mm hollow points that zimmerman used, however the defense team, along with material witness Mark Olsterman, who was the federal air marshall who trained zimmerman done a suburb job of squashing the DA's claims about the pistol/ammo.

C'mon people.. This is public record....It was on live TV for crying out loud... it's not hard to get educated on this subject...

jpshaw
12-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Kinda tired of the whole court and lawyer dance about gun modifications.

I believe Muggsy was talking about cops taking ANY gun away from you if you had to use it, not just modified ones.

ElMateo487
12-28-2015, 04:25 AM

They are not available until 2nd quarter 2016

Chuck54
12-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Thanks ElMateo...........much more helpful than the other reply.

muggsy
12-28-2015, 04:20 PM
As for these other comments regarding using it for self defense, cops taking it away from you, courts bla bla bla.... In all honestly, unless you guys have credible first hand experience that you can back up & share with us...I'd take it with a grain of salt for what it is... Nothing but air.. Now if you want my advice...

Here it is,
Educate yourselves first on the law.
If you ever god forbid get involved in a shooting, tell the truth. You were a victim of a felony assault and have no choice but to use deadly force in defending yourself from serious harm/death. You tell the truth & it will set you free. Literally. Tell your lawyer (in Texas, any deaths go before a grand jury, if they return a no true bill, you're free, and you get your gun back) If the grand jury deciedes otherwise, then tell your lawyer that you going to use affirmative defense, if he says otherwise, fire him. If you feel that using affirmative defense on your behalf is not the way to go.. well.... face it you might have screwed up & really do in fact... need a good lawyer
I expect a bunch of ridiculous comments, so by all means guys/gals... go for it...

Glad to oblige. Have you ever heard the words, "Anything that you say can and will be used against you in a court of law"? If you are involved in a shooting the first thing that your lawyer is going tell you is to keep your mouth shut. If the police question you tell them that your in shock, but that you will give them a full statement later in the presence of your lawyer. The most innocent of comments can get you a life sentence in prison. The most innocent of comments can cost you everything that you own in a civil case. If you don't believe me, view this video. You've possibly offered the worst advice ever given out on this website. I suggest that you take your own advice and learn something about the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

muggsy
12-28-2015, 04:42 PM
I believe Muggsy was talking about cops taking ANY gun away from you if you had to use it, not just modified ones.

That's correct JP. The police will take the gun that you use and hold it as evidence. It may bang around in an property room for months before you get it back. Guns have even been known to disappear from property rooms on occasion. My CC gun is a down and dirty inexpensive CM9. The only modifications that were performed were done to enhance performance. A five pound striker spring and a few polished parts.

Bawanna
12-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Many folks don't carry their favorite guns for this very fear. If your in a shooting, even a solid good shoot, your gun will most likely be tied up a minimum of 1 year and usually longer. Even an officers gun is gone for a year but of course they are issued a replacement.

I used to have this fear myself for awhile but got over it. It's like buying nice clothes and then never wearing them for fear you might get em dirty.

I put my Cbob away for a spell cause it would be difficult and expensive to replace but then I thought, you know what bug it. Chance's are I'll never get in a shooting and if I do, we'll figure it out when the time comes.

Also looking cool is absolutely job one with me. Above all else so I have to take care of that.

muggsy
12-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Col., how do you look cool when your gun is concealed? I always try to blend in with the woodwork. I never wear anything that shouts I have a gun. The only place that I display my wears is at the range and I'm always aware of who's watching. To me a carry gun is just a tool.

RonW
12-28-2015, 08:37 PM
You've possibly offered the worst advice ever given out on this website. I suggest that you take your own advice and learn something about the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

And you sir, just offered the worse advice and possibly the worse video example to back up your ignorance.... To understand & know the law, will keep you from even putting oneself in that situation to begin with... If you are assaulted, you have a right to self defense, you are a victim, you report the crime... Someone dies at your hand, you refuse to talk, can be and probably will be interpreted as possible guilt... If you feel that in lawfully defending yourself against a violent felony attack that it is best to keep quite and not talk to the polce then you sir are a fool... You tell the police what happened, you tell them "the witness's are right there" (if any) you tell them you will sign the complaint... It will go before a grand jury regardless, that is automatice in the state of Texas in any death, if they return a "no true bill" , then there has been found no crime commited.... If they feel that a crime occured, then you're in trouble.. maybe in fact you did screw up. Regardless, if you ever wind up in court, you claim "affirmative defense", ie; you tell the truth and that puts the burden of proof in the prosecutors lap, they have to prove you were neglient... and you preach to me about the law?

I sure hope you don't ever get in trouble...I'm finished with you

muggsy
12-28-2015, 09:15 PM
And you sir, just offered the worse advice and possibly the worse video example to back up your ignorance.... To understand & know the law, will keep you from even putting oneself in that situation to begin with... If you are assaulted, you have a right to self defense, you are a victim, you report the crime... Someone dies at your hand, you refuse to talk, can be and probably will be interpreted as possible guilt... If you feel that in lawfully defending yourself against a violent felony attack that it is best to keep quite and not talk to the polce then you sir are a fool... You tell the police what happened, you tell them "the witness's are right there" (if any) you tell them you will sign the complaint... It will go before a grand jury regardless, that is automatice in the state of Texas in any death, if they return a "no true bill" , then there has been found no crime commited.... If they feel that a crime occured, then you're in trouble.. maybe in fact you did screw up. Regardless, if you ever wind up in court, you claim "affirmative defense", ie; you tell the truth and that puts the burden of proof in the prosecutors lap, they have to prove you were neglient... and you preach to me about the law?

You are fee to tell the police anything you want. I will only talk to the police on the advice of my lawyer and in his presence. Apparently you didn't watch the video. In our court system all of us are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. You don't have to testify. Not even in court. The burden of proof is always upon the prosecution. The 5th amendment was put in place by our founding fathers to protect the innocent. The advice I offered came from a Supreme Court Justice. It didn't come from someone who thinks that he's a lawyer.

berettabone
12-29-2015, 06:58 AM
I don't know where some of these posters get their information. If you are involved in a shooting, all you say is they tried to kill me, I want them arrested. That's it, whether you know they are dead or not. That is it, until your attorney is present. Up nort here, they will take your firearm, and keep it forever. They don't like people taking lives/law in to their own hands. They like you to wait for the po po. Your firearm will be gone a MINIMUM of a year, and most likely you and your attorney will have to try and get it back. Your attorney fees will probably exceed the worth of your firearm in many cases, so you'd better like it a lot. They(the police and prosecutor) like to play these games because they don't like people doing the po po's job. All of this is just a well known fact up here. They could easily take a picture of your firearm, then give it back, but that's way too easy. They need it for evidence forever. They will keep telling you that they need it for evidence. They play this game, even under threat of lawsuit, because they don't give 2 s#!ts about you or your firearm. $20,000 and two years later, right before your lawsuit reaches court, they'll give it back. I carry whatever I want, because I'm getting old, and what the hell..........................you younger guys take heed. Don't be carrying your beloved Kimber, because they will keep it.

berettabone
12-29-2015, 07:12 AM

I don't know what they do where you are, but up here, you'd be in jail for a while. Personally, I cannot believe what you posted. Your interpretation of the law may be what it's supposed to be, but in reality, you'd be a fool to do anything that you've suggested. The police are not your friend, and neither is the prosecutor...............there is a reason why every attorney in the country will tell you to keep your lip zipped.You must forget that the victim has rights also, and so does his family. Even if your found in the right, anything that has been recorded will be used by an attorney on the families behalf, to sue your behind. It will even come down to your ammo. In many cases, if your not using an ammo that states the word defensive, protective, etc., they will accuse you of using excessive force because of the ammo your using. They will tell the court that you wanted to inflict the most damage that you could to the dead person. You DO have a right to self defense, you ARE a victim, and you ARE reporting a crime............that's where your good day ends.

muggsy
12-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Guys, I appreciate your back-up. As someone who has been around the block more than a few times I can tell you this. The less you say the better off you are. You aren't required to say anything and shouldn't offer anymore than your name and address for ID purposes. The police investigate and provide their findings to the prosecutor. The prosecutor determines if they have enough evidence to bind the case over to the grand Jury. If the prosecutor determines that there isn't sufficient evidence of a crime the process goes no further. The burden of proof is much less in a civil case. No lawyer or concealed carry permit instructor will ever tell you to talk to the police if you are involved in a shooting no matter how righteous that shooting may be. It can't help you and can only hurt your case.

RonW
12-29-2015, 07:17 PM
The police are not your friend

This attitude alone answers all of my questions about people like you. Ignorant. I for one, know many people including family members who are LEO's.

Bawanna
12-29-2015, 11:14 PM
It isn't the LEO's that will get you, it the bottom feeding lawyers after them that will try to hang you.

I say be kind, be polite, and not a pain in the backside but just answer basic questions.

DavidWJ
12-30-2015, 12:55 AM
LEOs want the truth and not BS. Be respectful and don't treat them badly, they get enough of that all-day, every-day. If you plead the 5th in a courteous manner it shouldn't be a problem. LEO's know this and often react to an officer involved shooting, OIS, by saying nothing to anyone but their union's attorney. LEOs suffer the same way we do, civil cases destroy their lives the same as ours...

BTW: the rash of OISings has been caused by agitation and attacks on LEOs.

Yourconfused
12-30-2015, 01:41 AM
This attitude alone answers all of my questions about people like you. Ignorant. I for one, know many people including family members who are LEO's.

What part of Texas do you live in? Most of the cops I've met bullies/pu$$ies and are not interested in serving anything other than arrest warrants and protecting their donuts.

RonW
12-30-2015, 12:21 PM
What part of Texas do you live in? Most of the cops I've met bullies/pu$$ies and are not interested in serving anything other than arrest warrants and protecting their donuts.

It doesn't matter what part of Texas I live. It's no ones bussiness.

Have some respect for our LEO. No matter where you live, have some respect for our police officers. Again your attitude reflects on how you interact with law enforcement. I hope you do not have a CHL and if you do, your attittude towards LEO gives honest law abiding citizens like myself a bad name...

Let me guess, you're a part of OCT aren't you?

Bawanna
12-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Be gentle and don't get personal.

yqtszhj
12-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Col., how do you look cool when your gun is concealed? I always try to blend in with the woodwork. I never wear anything that shouts I have a gun. The only place that I display my wears is at the range and I'm always aware of who's watching. To me a carry gun is just a tool.

The Colonel looks cool all the time. If I recall he packs a couple of things that go bang and a pointy thing. He's got me beat on cool factor.

yqtszhj
12-30-2015, 03:44 PM
It isn't the LEO's that will get you, it the bottom feeding lawyers after them that will try to hang you.

I say be kind, be polite, and not a pain in the backside but just answer basic questions.

^^^What he said^^^

Anyone remember what the original post was about before the flame throwers came out? I like my CT9 by the way even its plain because it never malfunctions.

berettabone
12-30-2015, 05:05 PM

I have the utmost respect for LE, and always will, and know a few. When I possibly break the law by shooting someone. Until I break ANY law...........when you may or may not have broken the law, and it's in question, I will repeat again, the LE and the DA are NOT YOUR FRIENDS. It is their responsibility to find anything to put you in jail, it's their job. Before you start throwing accusations of ignorance, I would take a good look in the mirror, and the next time you break the law(even a speeding ticket) I'll let you tell me how they are my friend. I don't know what world you live in, but they are a$$hole's up here. Takes them a hour and a half to respond to a call in a city with a population of 60,000. They have a tough job to do, I respect that, but that's all I respect. I have been treated like $@@t on more than one occasion, and I've never been arrested for disorderly. It doesn't make me ignorant, it makes me aware that not all cops are angels.

Yourconfused
01-04-2016, 03:18 AM
It doesn't matter what part of Texas I live. It's no ones bussiness.

Have some respect for our LEO. No matter where you live, have some respect for our police officers. Again your attitude reflects on how you interact with law enforcement. I hope you do not have a CHL and if you do, your attittude towards LEO gives honest law abiding citizens like myself a bad name...

Let me guess, you're a part of OCT aren't you?

Ontario Certified Teacher, how did you know? You must be clairvoyant, in which case I need not go on.

Sorry to the OP for getting OT.

Armybrat
01-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I will tell y'all what is my friend - it's this here fresh baked pecan pie I'm fixin' to eat:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/PecanPie.jpg

4xglock
05-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Thank god for some common sense...

Bills1873
05-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Gunpackingpanda, have fun with your CT9! Chances are good that you'll be using it at the range exclusively, where your customization will get rave reviews!