PDA

View Full Version : Emergency gun "restrictions"

wyntrout
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
You know, when you're most likely to need your weapons... that's when you may lose them because of some emergency (defined by the government) condition and rules put into place by your pinheaded representatives of the local or state or national government.
We've only recently heard about some of those "laws" coming to light after weather warnings and such. Just when you really need to protect yourself and property, those weapons may be confiscated and your "right" to defend yourself abridged for the convenience of "government officials" and willingly enforced by LEOs who think it a good idea to limit gun ownership during emergences... or anytime.
We have some pretty good examples from Katrina... nationally televised by FoxNews.
Here's a bit:
YouTube - NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4&feature=related)

This could be happening in your area next.:eek:

You can talk about not surrendering your weapons, but what if you are besieged by SWAT-like units and tactics and there's just you in your un-hardened home, without a fighting position and armor and gas masks, etc?? That's the real scary part... we can be taken out one person or house at a time by these willing LEO participants as those people in Katrina affected areas were.

Some things were changed here in Florida after 2004 and all of the storms we had. Things like "No Pets Allowed" in shelters... any shelters, changed so that there are at least some pet friendly shelters... but I don't know about any weapon friendly shelters or CCW being permitted.

They also have plans for opening both sides of the Interstate for evacuation, not just the westbound side as they did during Floyd in 1999.

We evacuated for Floyd... needlessly... wife panicked. It took 12 minutes for us to get from the east side of Jacksonville to the intersection of I-95 and I-10 on the west side of town. there we hit the parking lot... 5 hours to go about 60 miles to Lake City where we got off the Interstate and parked in the parking lot of a closed convenience store just off I-10. Every big truck stop or gas station looked like RV parks so we went away from that side of the Interstate. We would have had to drive for a day or so to find any place to rent a room. We learned a lot and wouldn't even consider it in 2004 with all of the storms we had then.
My plan is to watch conditions and if really necessary, pack our van with guns, ammo, food and water, irreplaceable family pictures and documents, etc. and head west. We have bedding, a hassock potty, and DC coolers for food and drink, and can "camp out" as needed.
In an emergency like that, you may only have what you have with you, and if you aren't prepared to defend those things, you may not have that stuff long. I would never even consider any kind of public shelter. You would lose control of everything you have... stuff you would have to leave in your vehicle... particularly guns.
Wynn:behindsofa:

OldLincoln
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Now that is scary! With their databases they know who has them. I guess if there's a big storm coming we should flood them with transfer slips and not have any guns in the database.

An ex-neighbor told me about a contractor he knows that put serious defensive rifles inside walls at strategic locations in his house. Non-confiscation yet fairly easy to get to if the SHTF.

Bawanna
07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
One big plus to buying used guns at least here in washington. No paper trail. The ones registered to you can be covered with a simple bill of sale even though your not even required to have that. Just a safety precaution in case it's ever used for evil and wrong things.
If they ever come, it'll be damn ugly. I seriously doubt most cops or military would take part in that type of deal.
If they want to try, bring it. I'll take one for the team.

OldLincoln
07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Believe it! In my follow-up reading today, I learned that in some states a mayor can declare such an emergency even if it's for a large gathering of people (like a county fair?). If you saw the video you saw what happened in the Katrina thing.

One state mentioned (S. Carolina??) has a bill pending to prohibit gun confiscation for emergency declarations. Living in CA I would be concerned if I lived in SF or LA, OR if Jerry Brown gets elected Gov.

Before you say never happen, who woulda thunk a president could direct appoint 80 czars to rule the country without oversight, take over private industry, and all the other crazy things that have happened in the last year.

predestyned
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
You can talk about not surrendering your weapons, but what if you are besieged by SWAT-like units and tactics and there's just you in your un-hardened home, without a fighting position and armor and gas masks, etc?? That's the real scary part... we can be taken out one person or house at a time by these willing LEO participants as those people in Katrina affected areas were.

:behindsofa:

its a good idea to have 10-20 close friends on speed dial just in case the government decides to defy the constitution and endander the lives of you and yours. also be prepared to grab your weapon and come to the aide of your comrades at the drop of a hat.
those lil' weak men in black will have a change of heart real quick if the odds are suddenly against them.

deadhead1971
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes, under NC law, it is illegal to possess a firearm off your property (concealed or not) during a declared state of emergency or a place of riot.

When it snows here or hurricane, the governor declares a state of emergency for the whole state or for certain counties.

Nothing in the current NC law prohibits the governor from taking your weapons in an emergency.

A bill was introduced in the NC general assembly last year, and it died in committee. The democrats blocked it. This proposed bill ( http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/Bills/House/PDF/H2031v1.pdf ) would prohibit the government's seizure of lawfully possessed weapons & ammunition during a state of emergency. and it also allowed you to carry off your property. You still were not allowed to be armed in the immediate vicinity of a riot.

joje
07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
i would never do this myself as it seriously bother me to break the law, even messed up laws, but i do know of people who has, as a precaution, reported parts of their collection as stolen and buried these arms off site, the idea being to surrender the rest of their collection and produce the police report in case there are questions about the missing items.

again, while the ends might be noble, imo it doesnt justify the means. better to write your rep and demand laws prohibiting "emergency confiscations". one would think it'd be easier now that SCOTUS finally has stated that the right to keep arms is a constitutionally protected right everywhere in america

Bawanna
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you have like a treasure map to find these buried treasures?

While I respect good sensible laws (not talking on your phone while driving is a good law), I think there 2 others, I ignore senseless laws almost completely.
However in your posted scenario I agree with you. There's some serious bad things presented. They didn't ignore a stupid law, they lied, (and not a little white lie either), fraud, false police report. May have even made false insurance claims for all we know. Could get in alot of serious trouble and while I respect their end result wishes they would get little sympathy from me if prosecuted.

In an earlier thread it was mentioned to watch for no concealed guns in a Lowes after a fool shot himself accidently. If I saw the sign which I probably wouldn't since I wouldn't look for it, I would walk right by without a single thought or concern. That would be a stupid law. I'm a sheep dog and refuse to turn back into a sheep just to get a box of nails and a big freakin hammer.

Let me know on those maps?

OldLincoln
07-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Evidently it's OK to ignore laws. Following the ruling on the 2nd Amendment, the ACLU stated they only support laws with which they agree.

predestyned
07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
i would never do this myself as it seriously bother me to break the law, even messed up laws, but i do know of people who has, as a precaution, reported parts of their collection as stolen and buried these arms off site, the idea being to surrender the rest of their collection and produce the police report in case there are questions about the missing items.

yep lots of folks are doing this(wink. wink)
but nah i would....ahem...i would never dream of it...