PDA

View Full Version : New toy

andy4731
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey All,

I just picked up a new old stock K9 model #9091. It is carbon steel with an electroless nickel finish. It is unshot with 2 mags and all the paperwork, and still has the packing goo (cosmoline?) in it. I need to take it apart and clean it, and put it through its paces. Interestingly enough, 1 mag drops free, and the other needs some help.

When I field stripped it, the recoil spring was pretty strong. Is there anything I need to be aware of or look for before I shoot it?

I emailed Kahr to see if they can date it, the serial # is AG11xx.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Andy

jocko
07-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Hey All,

I just picked up a new old stock K9 model #9091. It is carbon steel with an electroless nickel finish. It is unshot with 2 mags and all the paperwork, and still has the packing goo (cosmoline?) in it. I need to take it apart and clean it, and put it through its paces. Interestingly enough, 1 mag drops free, and the other needs some help.

When I field stripped it, the recoil spring was pretty strong. Is there anything I need to be aware of or look for before I shoot it?

I emailed Kahr to see if they can date it, the serial # is AG11xx.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Andy

Recoil springs on kahrs are strong, , mag issue , I would be will work itself out with some usage. Notsure I would loose alot of sleep over your little issue either.....

June 1996. Nice peace. You might want to go to the kahr tech section and hit on PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR. Might just save somehead aches. welcome aboard.

andy4731
07-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey Jocko,

I already perused the pages you recommended. I am going to try and clean it and prep it at work today if I can get a chance. I want to put some rounds down this weekend also.

We'll see how much free time I can get.

Have a good weekend.

Andy

jocko
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Jocko,

I already perused the pages you recommended. I am going to try and clean it and prep it at work today if I can get a chance. I want to put some rounds down this weekend also.

We'll see how much free time I can get.

Have a good weekend.

Andy

this. I bet your K9 has the great rubber grips on it, take them off and then insert the magazine that is sticking to see if it still sticks. You should be able to see the hang up also. If it doesnt stick with the grips off, then one of the magazine scews are rubbing against that one magazine, should be easy to see that also. Just file it back a tad . The right side grip screws MUST be tight, as that grip also keep the trigger bar in the right position..

andy4731
07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jocko. I'll give this a try tonight.

Bawanna
07-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Jocko's given sound advice, as usual. I do prefer good and snug over the word tight. Seen too many pretty wood handles ruined from overzealous tightening. If your screws are hitting and it's quite common its probably from the too tight syndrome.
Also another option if you don't want to file a screw a bit shorter and keep all the screws the same length is a tiny little rubber o-ring under the screw. It squishes out, takes up a bit of screw length and helps keep the screw from loosening. I use them often on wood grips to prevent them backing off.
I take grips off often enough I prefer to avoid the locktite routine.

andy4731
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I will look at it and maybe try to get a different mag to see how it ejects. I just find it odd that one ejects freely and that the other just pops out about 1.5 inches and has to be physically removed. I have previously owned and carried a circa 2002 K40 (only pistol I ever had sellers remorse with) and I don't recall any mag issues what-so-ever. I'll keep you updated.

Andy

andy4731
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Kahr emailed me today 2-13-97 b'day. It sure is sweet. I will try to shoot it this weekend.

Andy