PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a slide stop come out while shooting?

ripley16
07-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I was shooting my TP45 when I noticed the slide stop had moved to the left about 1/4". :confused: I've never had this happen with any of my other Kahrs or any other gun for that matter. Anyone have insight into this unusual happening.

Bawanna
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I never have and I don't recall anyone here bringing it up before. The spring clip should be dropping into the little detent and stop that from happening. Any chance you just didn't quite get it all the way in last cleaning or something. Mine are difficult to get that initial movement going. My K40 I have to tap with a screwdriver or hammer to pop loose. My PM I can push but all I can do witha finger, usually use a handle of some sort.

jocko
07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I was shooting my TP45 when I noticed the slide stop had moved to the left about 1/4". :confused: I've never had this happen with any of my other Kahrs or any other gun for that matter. Anyone have insight into this unusual happening.

all, PROVIDING that little springhy thing on the left side by the slide stop engauges that little groove in the slide stop pin. If it doesn't, then call kahr and get a new slide stop spring. That is what keeps the slide stop in place.

Tack
07-04-2010, 05:01 AM
I had the same problem with my CW45 when I bought it used. I noticed that 230gr. Ball ammo would hit the slide stop when the magazine was fully inserted. Due to a different shape hollowpoints didn't touch. I contacted Ian at Kahr (He's gone now) and he sent a new slide stop and spring. He told me that the spring is usually the problem. I dressed the tip of the stop so the rounds didn't make contact anyway, and installed the new spring. No further problems.

Remember if you file the tip of the stop, make sure you keep the same shape and test fit frequently, and file by hand gingerly. You can remove more metal, but it's hard to put it back. Lock the Dremel away somewhere. The stop has to engage the follower of the magazine to lock the slide back on an empty magazine.

I would try the simple fix first, make sure your spring engages the slot in the slide stop, if not get a new spring. If that won't take care of it, then and only then, break out the file.

ripley16
07-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I'll carefully see how the ball ammo sets in the breech in relation to the slide stop. Ball is what I was shooting when this happened.

I examined the spring-to-stop fit and it looks normal. There is a definite "click" sound when the stop seats into the frame and spring.

The TP45 slide stop is fitted such that it would be obvious if it weren't properly seated when I began shooting. The movement occured on the third magazine I shot.

update *** I loaded a couple rounds and very slowly closed the slide to see if there is any contact with the stop. I saw none. The round feeds in very straight and is almost at bore level from the start, (very little upward angle on the .45 feed motion).

I'll chalk it up to a fluke I guess. Probably will never happen again.

My experience with this gun has been less than stellar so far. My third range trip produced this problem as well as several other stovepipes. I did at least shoot better... the last mag full was spot on.

My plan to chop this gun down to a COVERT is on hold until it works.

Andyo5
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
This probably isn't your ammo. My CW45 did this when I first bought it.
In my case, the problem was that the washer holding down the little slide stop spring was sitting at an angle with respect to the frame, and the edge of the washer was contacting the boss at the bottom of the slide stop. This would put pressure against the slide stop, and the vibration caused by firing the gun would induce the slide stop to jump the spring and begin moving to the left. I filed the edge of the washer down to eliminate the interference. End of problem.
Check your little washer to see if the blueing is worn off the edge that is closest to the slide stop. If so, then you have the same issue that I had.
Andy

jlottmc
07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually have to watch myself with my 1911, or any other pistol that has a protrusion for a slide stop. I have found that as I am in the ready position, I use that bump to to index my trigger finger. That being said, I tend to push it a bit, then have problems after firing. That may be what it is as well.

Bawanna
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
This probably isn't your ammo. My CW45 did this when I first bought it.
In my case, the problem was that the washer holding down the little slide stop spring was sitting at an angle with respect to the frame, and the edge of the washer was contacting the boss at the bottom of the slide stop. This would put pressure against the slide stop, and the vibration caused by firing the gun would induce the slide stop to jump the spring and begin moving to the left. I filed the edge of the washer down to eliminate the interference. End of problem.
Check your little washer to see if the blueing is worn off the edge that is closest to the slide stop. If so, then you have the same issue that I had.
Andy

I remember you or someone else here now with that washer issue. Filed it down a tad and all was well. Acted like a little fulcrum point to force the lever out.