PDA

View Full Version : My new to me MK9 w/Pics!

jpdopes
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Bought the MK9 a month ago and just got the wood grips from Kahr today. Man do I love this gun! I've put 400 rounds through her without a hitch and it conceals so well. My previous carry was a Glock 26 which I sold--I don't miss it at all. The Garrity Gunleather holster is very comfortable. I've discovered, contrary to what I've read, that this is an excellent pocket gun too. I don't find it heavy at all. I use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster and I barely notice it.
Surprisingly the grips didn't fit because there wasn't enough wood cut away for the two bottom screw tabs. I had to remove about a 1/16" of wood with a chisel. Very easy to do but I really shouldn't have had to. I'd be curious to know if others have had the same problem.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/jpdopes/KahrMK9-12.jpghttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/jpdopes/KahrMK9-8.jpghttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/jpdopes/KahrMK9-17.jpg

TD2K
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Congrats!!! The MK9 was my first handgun, and it's AWESOME. I lub it lon tyme.

TD2K
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
did you get the 7 round magazine with the extended grip? it really makes a lot of difference. I conceal carry with the standard 6 round, but like the 7 round while at the range.

Bawanna
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
They should have fit. The Elites are different and the wood grips don't fit those. Maybe they missed a step when they were making them?
Nice looking gun, and the grips look awesome.
Just gotta love wood and steel.

jpdopes
07-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I was told by Kahr that the grips were delayed because the machine at Hogue broke down--hard to believe because they're probably cut on a cnc machine but maybe that had something to do with the mis-fit. It was consistent on both sides.
I do have the 7 round mag for the range. I'll probably pick another one up sometime soon.
I can't get over how great the trigger is and how accurately I can shoot this gun. I can shoot it as well if not better than my Glocks.

kahrseye
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I like it! That is one sharp weapon. If I were to buy another Kahr (just kidding dear) yours would be a contender. The new grips look fantastic. Good luck with it.

wyntrout
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
That's a beautiful gun... it seems too pretty for CCW. :D I prefer the rubber grips on my K9, but the wood is so pretty! Congrats!
Wynn:D

jpdopes
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys!

DKD
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey nice heater.

Bawanna, I didn't know that the wood grips varied from the standard MK9 and the MK9 Elite model. Next question why in the hell did Kahr use a Poly Guide Rod instead of metal?

GOOFA
07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Received my new grips today and they do not fit. I imagine the same problem. I haven't been able to fix yet.

Bawanna
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not certain if it's a difference between the standard MK9 and the MK9 Elite or just the newest model compared to older models. Kahr did state that their wood grips did not fit the Elite. May have changed since then I haven't looked lately.
I made a set for quickduc using my standard MK9 and they fit his Elite but the screws had to be different lengths. The frame is different. If I had the gun I could make the grips so the screws would all be the same but didn't have one around.
Other than that they looked like they fit perfectly, he liked the feel of them and checkering improved his grip. Course he could have just said that to make me feel good which of course I did. Quickduc, if your lurking out there, jump in here and tell us a story.

quikduk
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey Bawanna! I am still lurking (busy with work and the like).

I like your grips because they give me better control of the MK9...and they look really cool...and I really mean that or I wouldn't say it.

Here are a couple shots in my new custom TT Gunleather holster. It can be worn either OWB or IWB.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/th_MK_04.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_04.jpg)
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/th_MK_05.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_05.jpg)

I bought stainless grip screws (standard length) for a 1911 as they are the same thread size and pitch. I had to shorten them by about 1.25mm so they would clear the mag well. I think the Elite and standard are the same. The difference is between the '98 and '03 generations as they changed the interior of the frame a bit around the screw bosses...or it is just random manufacturing differences.

Bawanna
07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice setup. Not bad wood for a shade tree fly by night wood butcher. Thanks for the reminder on the 1911 screws too. Thats good stuff to remember for those with the ability to remember.

jpdopes
07-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Received my new grips today and they do not fit. I imagine the same problem. I haven't been able to fix yet.

It's an easy fix but of course we shouldn't have to do it.
I scored the wood about a 1/16th above where the screw tab sits. I then slowly removed wood with a small chisel just with hand pressure. Took about five minutes to complete the mod on both sides.

PolyKahr
07-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Beautiful weapon. I told the wife that if I ever bought another Kahr, it would be an MK9 instead of a PM9. I keep trying, but the darn PM9 just won't wear out:)

Regards,
PolyKahr

jreXD9
07-10-2010, 05:00 AM
OH MY!!! that thing is gorgeous........am droooooling........
how much heavier is it than the PM9?

quikduk
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
PM9:
Pistol with magazine is +/- 17 ounces, 20 ounces loaded

MK9:
Pistol with magazine is 24 ounces, 27 ounces loaded.

The ammo is therefore about 3 ounces with the flush magazine, which is the same for both.

Big D
07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks great.

jocko
07-16-2010, 04:12 PM
If anyone is interested I have a set of K9 kahr wood grips, absolutley mint for sale for $25 delivered. I just seemt o wander back to my factory original rubber grips..

Big D
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I love the look of wood but all of my handguns wear Hogue mono grips or slip on grips.

jorville82
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
JPDOPES,
I just got my wood grips last Thursday and had the exact same problem with the fit and fixed it the same way you did. Only took about 10 minutes and a sharp chisel, but I was VERY careful. Shouldn't have had to do it though and was pretty disappointed.

Here's mine. What a pistol! I also agree that these pistols should come std with the stainless guide rod. That was the first thing I replaced.

quikduk
10-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed. They look good.

For what it is worth, the only "custom" grips I have seen that fit perfectly are 1911 grips as the demand is very high...and the caveat here is custom grips from craftsmen who have made a lot prior to "your order". One-off or small order grips sometimes need a little finessing as the weapons they fit might not have the most consistent quality control.

Just my opinion though.

Bawanna
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I suspect those grips were for an early version and your hanging them on a newer version and need to be modified.
Many of the aftermarket grips of course are made on machines and machine checkered. I laugh so hard it hurts when I see add checkering 5 bucks. It takes me 8 hours or more to hand checker a pistol handle. 5 bucks don't seem like enough, perhaps what I'm worth but not lucrative.
Some makers lean towards tight perfect fit and little clearance between wood and controls etc. I tend to lean this direction. Others leave a much looser fit and they are alot more forgiving fit wise.
As quickduc points out 1911's have been around 100 years and everybody that makes handles make 1911 grips. They are pretty easy to fit and most of the ones Ive made I built on my 1942 Colt, yet they still fit shiney brand new Wilson's, Kimbers, and even a Randall for a new friend in Arkansas.
Good things don't need changing.

quikduk
10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
A Randall? WOW! Those were produced when I lived and cavorted (ran amuck) in the San Fernando Valley of CA. I never had enough to buy one at that time and wish I had as they are worth A LOT now. The "service models" aren't as collectible but the Le Mays and early 111 and 112 models are very collectible. Most current owners will NEVER part with them. You should also see the price for their magazines...WOW!!!

Bawanna
10-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I actually contacted this guy in Arkansas cause he was looking to sell his mirror image true left handed Randall. I have a few lefty officers and one was talking about a 1911. Of course as you say it was alot of money but fair priced compared to other (the few I could find). Anyhow I made a backwards set of 1911 grips sight unseen and sent them to him. Renewed his love for it apparently as he still has it and we've been pals ever since.

I'll see if I can find some pics. Pic or it didnt happen ya know?