PDA

View Full Version : Magazines sticking in TP-9

OldLawman
05-06-2015, 07:24 PM
I just picked up my second first-gen TP-9 (IMHO, one of the best versions Kahr makes, and I have owned most of them).

Sadly, all of the ten magazines I have stick in this gun, only ejecting a half-inch or so before sticking.

Nothing obvious that can be seen. Has there been a revision to the mag catch dimensions ?

Any other suggestions ?

I have not contacted Kahr yet.

jocko
05-07-2015, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=OldLawman;341992]I just picked up my second first-gen TP-9 (IMHO, one of the best versions Kahr makes, and I have owned most of them).

Sadly, all of the ten magazines I have stick in this gun, only ejecting a half-inch or so before sticking.

Nothing obvious that can be seen. Has there been a revision to the mag catch dimensions ?

therer is a tutorial on our forum gving u some tips. Wyn has a fix also. Kahr more than likely will not fix that for u, u8nless u wantto pay both ways. Try waxing the magazine with car was and see if that helps. If u have one of those vice ratchet do-hickys, u can gently squeeze that magazine tube and take care of that to. Nothinbg in the kahr manual reallys tates tha tthe magazine are supposed to fall freely. Personally mine have nevere dropped in over 32K rounds and I kinda like it that way, for any accidental touching of the mag rlease will not find me hunting for it on the ground. It is what it is, its fixable by yourself if u listen to the forumn here. Kahr MIGHT fix it for you but I seriously doubth if it will be on their dime, so IMO its not worth sending it back. Some have lightly sanded the inside of the mag well to, not rocket science.

ripley16
05-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I just checked my TP9, it is the newer, longer grip style, that only takes 8 round mags. The magazines do drop free. Not all of my Kahrs have done this however. I'd look for an obvious cause, such as a burr in the mag well or the release not fully moving out of the way. The only other thing I can think of that may help could be the mag springs. The pressure on the follower pops the mags in my TP9 out even if upside down.

Welcome to the forum.

OldLawman
05-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks Ripley.
I have owned several P9s before the TP9s. Never had an issue before.
All of my mags have nice strong springs. No obvious burrs. It seems as though the mag catch, even fully depressed, just doesn't get far enough out of the way once past the mag catch cutout, to let the mag drop free. Tried treating the inside of the magwell in the frame with Armorall.

As to this being a feature, not a bug - if I wanted it not to release the mag, a switch/catch/screw of some kind that would let me choose what I want it to do would be fine.
Just give me the option.

muggsy
05-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Disassemble the mags and gently squeeze the feed lip in a smooth jaw vice. They only need to be compressed a few thousandths of an inch to be able to drop free. If you have a caliper you should be able to measure the difference between the main body of the mag and the feed lip area. When both measurements are the same the mags should drop free. See link.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?12056-Squeezing-9mm-mags

Bawanna
05-09-2015, 02:11 PM
I'd be tempted to work on the mag release catch just a bit until you get a free drop. Would beat working on all 10 magazines by a long shot and you'd have to keep track of which mags works well and which don't.

I suspect just stoning off or smoothing up a bit would cure the whole batch.

muggsy
05-09-2015, 02:17 PM
It's not that big of a deal, Bawanna. The mags could be adjusted during a routine cleaning. I did six of them in under 15 minutes.

Bawanna
05-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah I know it's not hard, Just seems like if all 10 mags are wrong, make the gun accept them as they are.

muggsy
05-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Magazines are relatively inexpensive. Guns ain't. Over time and with use the mags will drop free without doing anything to the gun or the mags, but who has time to wait.