PDA

View Full Version : Cw9

car
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Has anyone had any problems with their CW9? I have had zero problems but I'm curious if anyone else has had problems.

emt118
09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
No problems with my cw9 great firearm

sfcret
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a new CW9 also just under 200 rounds no issues yet

mr.72
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a CW9 for just about a year now and I've had all kinds of problems with it. Probably around 500 rounds through it so far.

1. at first it would drop the magazine magically while firing, just make it come "un-seated", so the slide would not lock back when empty
2. at first I had a light strike about 1 round or so out of 100 of WWB 9mm
3. Got a RA from Kahr about the mag drop, and they sent a magazine release and spring to replace myself to try and fix this.
4. Cleaned out the striker channel of a ton of gunk and light strikes seemed to get slightly better.
5. Suddenly it started to light-strike about half of the rounds I would attempt to fire. I sent it back to Kahr. They replaced the barrel and magazine follower. It has returned to one or two light strikes for 100 rounds of WWB.

I am not super fond of the idea that my pistol is not very reliable. It has never failed to fire a round of my SD ammo (Federal BPLE IIRC) but light-strikes one or two out of 100 of Winchester practice ammo. I doubt that I could send it back to Kahr and get them to really do anyting about it, since it really is failing so infrequently, they'd have to run 300 or 400 rounds through it in order to ensure it was fixed.

My solution for the time being is to just try and use CCI and Federal ammo and see if I can make sure it works consistently with Federal primers and maybe the harder Winchester primers are just too hard for the Kahr.

Anyone have any clues on this problem? I am all ears. I hear of a lot of folks with CW9s with the mag-drop and light-strike problems. I don't think this is a problem unique to my pistol.

WMD
09-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I do not own one but shot a friends. i was amazed at how accurate and good handling the gun was. It is definitely on my list.

hdawson
09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I've got the CW9 with a couple hundred rounds fired and zero hiccups. I am very happy with it. Just added the Crimson Trace laser.

kahrguy9mm
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I've put about 6-700 rounds of Tenn Reload and about 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through my CW9. I've had NO problems with either using the Stock magazine. One time I had a Magazine drop out during firing but it was a 10 round extended mag I bought used off gunbroker. I love my Kahr and carry it Everyday !!!

Cast Bullet
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I believe the instruction manual said that 200 rounds was the break-in period. That said, I have not had any issues with my cw9 with over 600 rounds. I've shot Winchester, Remington, and Federal. I'm glad to see 9mm back on the shelf in stores.

Oh and HI everybody, I'm new here as of today!

Jazz
09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
No probs to date. Extremely accurate.

OldGuyinTN
09-03-2009, 11:28 PM
mr.72, I have put over 1000 rounds through my CW9, all brands, and have had no failures. However, when recently cleaning the gun I noticed a piece of the striker's plating flaking off. I pulled out the striker and found that the plating was flaking off of it a lot. I could see how that could jam up the striker channel, or even erode the channel's sides (which could conceivably cause light strikes). I called Kahr about it and they sent me a new striker. I have had no function problems. Have you pressed in the striker stop and pushed the striker to its full-forward position? You should be able to measure how much of the pin protrudes. If it doesn't protrude the full designed distance, it will not fire the occasional primer. I don't have the spec on that. If the pin distance is OK, maybe you'll want to replace the striker spring. Or, just stay in constant contact with Kahr and go for a replacement gun. Their repair did not solve your original problem. I trust my life with my Kahr.

Fenderman
09-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I purchased a CW9 september of 2008.Round count is over 750rds.Never had a problem with it even during 200rd. breakin period.I have used mostly 115gr. WWB Blazer Brass Magtech and about 100rds.of Remington 124gr.JHP.Great gun i have no plans of letting it go kinda grown fond of it:)

mr.72
09-04-2009, 07:18 AM
OldGuy-
I noticed these metal flakes all inside my CW9 when it was new, for the first few hundred rounds. I figured it was the primer's plating being "wiped" off of the primer, not the striker. But now that you mention it, maybe it was the striker. Maybe I should order a new striker and spring from Kahr. It would be cheaper than sending the gun back to them and I can easily replace it myself.

Anyone have the spec on the striker protrusion? I wonder if they didn't suspect a headspace issue when they replaced the barrel? Actually I kind of think they replaced the barrel "just because they always do".

Shipyard
09-04-2009, 08:32 AM
i used to have a CW9, it had some strange FTF issues so i sold it off taking quite a loss due to the issues.

if i had half the issues you are having with yours i would be screaming for a replacement not a repair.

my PM9 is was rather finicky feeding for the first 700 rounds. all seems to be well at this point though so we'll see how it goes. kind of irritating given the price tag of these pistols....

mr.72
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I did send it back. According to Kahr, it's fixed. I guess I should call them and ask what they will do about a pistol that has a FTF due to a light primer strike in 1 out of 100 rounds. They clearly didn't test it for that.

I wonder if Kahr reps are monitoring this forum?

ladydatura
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Over 400 rounds fired with my CW9 and had no problems with it at all.

500KV
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
My PM9 has been flawless, however I had light primer strike problems with my CW45 (about 10 percent of the time) for awhile.
Called Kahr and they sent me a new striker and striker spring.
I cleaned the brass flakes out of the striker channel, installed the new parts and have had no problems since.

The spring they sent me was a stronger spring, by about 3 coils, however the trigger doesn't seem to be any heavier, so everything is fine now.

Someone said that too much lube on the striker could cause light strike problems by allowing junk to accumulate which sounds reasonable to me. I now only oil lightly and wipe any excess off.

mfcmb
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
In the first year had to send it back to Kahr for repair three times. Now, after those three repairs, about 2,500 live rounds and maybe 8,000 dry fire clicks it seems to be running fine and the action has become very smooth.

MattTheKnife
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I've had my CW9 for over a year (approx 700 rounds). I've had no problems at all.
The only thing was the tendance to jam when hand-cycled. However this did not happen when the slide was closed wit hthe slide-lock; and this only happened during the 200-round break in period.

pudly
09-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I've put ~750 rounds of different types/brands through my CW9 without any problems at all over the last 6 months. The *only* thing that I would like to change would be the capability to add night sights. :)

mr.72
09-05-2009, 07:22 AM
OK, the gun's headed back to Kahr again. Guess it'll be back to carrying the LCP for the next few weeks.

shootinbil
09-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I had my for about 6 months and put about 800 rounds through it. I am amazed at how accurate it is and conceal well.

9MilMan
09-05-2009, 11:06 AM
500-600 rounds. Not even a hiccup. Not even in the breaking period.

PastorPlinker
09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Zero problems. Priceless!

Crosshair
09-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Over 1000rnds and no problems yet...the cw9 is my first small frame pistol, and I'm still getting used to it.

Vincent
09-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Mine has around 500 rounds of assorted ammo but mostly Win White Box and brass Blazer. It is perfect. I out shoots my SIG 225 (with EFK Match barrel) and at least equals my SIG 239 DAK. It is my daily carry gun.

I do have one irritating problem with the two mags I own. One is left over from my E9. The top round does NOT want to stay in the mag. The slightest movement or bump and the top round comes flying out of the mag. It does not do this in the pistol. But my spare will ALWAYS lose a round or two unless I rubber band it before putting it in it's holder.:mad::mad:

It is kind of maddening. One mag is brand new with the new gun and the other is 12-13 years old.

Gottabkiddin
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Several hundred through mine and not a problem at all. Can't say enough about it, great pistol.:D

mr.72
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I guess all of you guys with zero problems with your CW9s at least gives me some hope, but I wonder just what the ratio of lemons to quality firearms Kahr is putting out?

Mine heads back to Kahr tomorrow. I sincerely hope they just send me a completely new gun. However I think the odds of that are virtually zero.

Underdog
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Mr.72 How did you make out with your Kahr pistol repair, has all the problems been resolved? I just past the 1K round mark on my CW9 and it has been flawless and very accurate. Kahr has very good customer service, please let us know how they treated you and your CW9.

mr.72
11-09-2009, 06:40 AM
They replaced the slide and the barrel. So far I have put 140 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. Looking good so far.

However it did develop a lip on the left edge of the feed ramp, same as my first barrel did in this gun. I ground off the burr (mostly because it was cutting me while I was cleaning it). So this definitely makes me wonder if it's not something in the frame causing all of these problems. But I can't see how a burr on the feed ramp is going to cause light strikes, so I am not concerned.