PDA

View Full Version : CT9 - decision

sk73
07-04-2015, 07:03 PM
I pocket carry a cw380 when that's all the dress code permits. My usual concealed carry is a cw9 generally IWB but sometimes in the pocket. I've actually gotten shed of other guns because these guys fit my needs so well. Now, however, I'm at a point where I want to add another 9mm primarily as a night stand gun and range gun. While I'll get a holster for it, I doubt it will replace the cw9 which has been such a great gun to carry and shoot. I had kind of figured that when this time came, I would get a Glock 19, gen 4. Now, I'm tempted by the ct9. Never shot one, though.

I have to consider some things. I'm 68 with no arthritis. This means I can rack slides, disassemble and reassemble and handle recoil on my present Kahrs just fine. For now. I have in mind the time may come when all of that may get too hard to do. Never owned a G19 but the ones I've shot [all Gen 3] seemed to be mild in recoil and easy to rack. At least that's my recollection from years ago. Of course there is the revolver option too, but I am not persuaded to go that way.

I like what I read about ct9's. And I sure like my cw9, which is frankly probably all I need for a home defense weapon, but I just want to buy another gun. [So, now, the truth has finally come out.] So, would you choose a ct9 over a G19 as a home defense weapon if you were about to become a senior citizen?

ripley16
07-04-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm getting older too. I don't have a CT but I do have a TP9 as well as a G19. Either one serve the purpose. My TP is my favorite Kahr. It's not as soft to shoot as the fuller gripped Glock but the difference isn't problematic. The Glock may be a bit easier to rack. If I had to choose one over the other, I guess I'd go for the G19 for mag capacity and the slight edge in recoil. Not a bad choice either way.

yqtszhj
07-04-2015, 08:07 PM
I have a G19 gen 4 and just bought a ct9. The g19 has about 700 rounds through it. It had growing pains in the beginning. I cant remember if it was fail to feed or stovepipes but it was something like that. It was really sensitive to limp wrist in testing in the beginning. It is easy to rack the slide and has mild recoil but took about a 300 to 400 round breakin. It is fun to shoot though. My wife likes the g19 because she can rack the slide easier. I like the gen4 grip on the g19. I had a gen 1 g19 in the late 80's and got rid of it because of the fat grip. The gen4 grip is better.

The CT9 has about 300 rounds through it now. It only burped once where I had a FTFeed where a round got hung up under the feed ramp. That was with a mag I had modified spring and follower on and I blame it on that mag alone. The Kahr mag that came with the gun has been flawless. I put a flush fit baseplate like the cm9 on it and i like it a lot. Its nice and thin compared to the glock. The ct9 will not fail even when i limp wrist it really bad on purpose. It is harder to rack the slide and get apart but It has loosened up a lot and is getting better.

The triggers on the 2 are completely different. That said I would say if you have other kahrs and like them get the CT9 and a few hundred rounds of ammo for the cost of a gen 4 g19.

Ive got a g19 and g30s for glocks, and cm9, ct9, cm45, and ct45 for Kahrs. I ask myself should i sell something and cant make myself part with any of them. The 30s has a crimson trace rail master on it and is my nightstand gun. I shoot the cw45 and cm45 best, the g19 second best, and the kahr 9's after that.

Lots of info so I hope that helps.

Ronni3_J
07-04-2015, 09:14 PM
The CT9 was my first Kahr. Since then I've got a CW9 as my carry and moved the CT9 as my home firearm. I really like em both and my fiancé can handle the CT9 just fine so it's a keeper for home defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA_Sheepdog
07-05-2015, 05:12 AM
I love Kahr and Glocks. I have a gen 3 19 and it's an amazing gun. Between the ct9 and the 19, I'd have to go with the glock all day for home defense. 15+1 of the 19 vs 8+1 of the ct9. Plus you can put a Glock 17 mag which is 17+1 or a 33 rd mag.

DavidR
07-05-2015, 06:20 AM
I would get the CT9 as it has the same manual of arms as your other 2 guns. I owned a G19 and a few Kahrs at the same time and they feel as different as they look.

9 rounds should be fine for home defense. The only advantage I see to the Glock is that it is easier to rack.

Dave

sk73
07-06-2015, 11:39 AM
I have to say I'm inclining more to the CT9. I try to avoid being a gun collector so I generally get rid of guns I don't use. So, if the CT9 doesn't fit the bill, I'll sell it and get the G19. Yesterday's guns paid for today's. And likely, today's will pay for tomorrow's.

b4uqzme
07-06-2015, 11:48 AM
For a range and home defense gun? Sorry to cloud your decision process but have you considered a TP9? You would really love that gun I'm sure. They are hard to find new or used but, if you stumbled upon one while shopping for your CT9, I'd recommend you jump on it. Maybe just put it on your radar...

Good luck!

Dreams_of_Steel
07-06-2015, 03:16 PM
If you are locked in on a polymer frame, the CT9 or TP9 would be a fine choice. I have a T9 and although it is quite a bit more expensive, the extra weight and smooth lines of the steel frame Kahrs are unbeatable IMHO. I use the T9 as a daily CC gun but I like to train with and carry the same weapon. It also fits well in my nightstand. I kicked myself for spending the extra $$$ until I shot it for the first time. The ergonomics and feel of it just cannot be matched for a single stack full size gun. Accuracy with the polygonal barrel is amazing as well. Overall, the Kahr full size models are excellent all around and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

b4uqzme
07-06-2015, 03:49 PM
^^ T9 --- that's what I meant. +1

livefreeordie1
07-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I bought a CT9 last September and carried it over the cooler months, but for home defense it's a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger P89. Single stacks make great carry guns, but if you don't have to carry it....

sk73
07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
thanks for those other considerations. Just don't see any of those around where I live to try out. I'm selling a couple of other guns before I buy so I'll have more time to look.. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions..

sk73
07-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Well, it's over. I joined a new range and got the chance to shoot a Ruger SR9, the full size model. That settled it for me and I bought one today. Full size pistol with two 17 round magazines. I haven't shot mine yet but the one I shot before shot really good. It's not a comfortable carry gun but it finds my nightstand like it was made for it. Again, thanks for all the good information.