PDA

View Full Version : Baby Eagle II Steel 9mm compact HELP please

wcjarvis
07-19-2015, 03:13 PM
I just purchased the Baby Eagle II steel compact. Everything seems very nice with it EXCEPT I cannot rack the slide with the decocker lever in the safe position. Is this normal? Every other semi auto pistol I have allows the slide to be racked with the decocker lever up OR down. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some easy fix? Could someone please help a newbie out?

CJB
07-19-2015, 03:38 PM
You could always do a field strip, and put the safety on to see if there is a lever or ledge protruding to prohibit movement....

wcjarvis
07-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Everything seems to be normal with the slide and the frame as far as I can tell when it has been field stripped.
Is it supposed to be possible to rack the slide with the safety in the safe position?

b4uqzme
07-20-2015, 08:22 AM
I guess we'll have to wait until someone who owns one chimes in. They aren't as common on this forum as the Kahrs. Have you tried a quick email to the mothership?

I have a CZ and it will rack with the decocker in safe...with or without a magazine. Does your gun have a mag disconnect? Just wondering... Sorry I cannot be of more help.

cbrrider
08-02-2015, 01:13 AM
I have a Steel Semi Compact Baby eagle in 9mm with slide mounted decocker.

I tried racking with the decocker down and no go unless I "gorrilla rack it" using all my strength.

Gorrilla racking it with the deocker down works but it feels unnatural.

I have an explanation on why its hard to do though.

With the Decocker down, it pushes a pin down in the slide. The pin in turn pushes down on the sear in the frame that drops the hammer.
So leaving the decocker down leaves the pin resting against the sear and somewhat locks in that contact position, which makes racking it with normal strength very difficult.
Gorilla racking it overcomes the contact lock by forcing the sear to swing down.
I would not recommend trying to Gorilla racking it too many times because it could damage the Pin in the slide or the sear.

I can take pictures if needed.

CJB
08-02-2015, 06:12 AM
To throw a little trivia into things - the FNG-45 and the derivitive design the FNX in all calibers, was specificially designed to allow racking with the safety "on". The safety being a three positioned affair, normal, down for decock and up for cocked (or not) and locked. The up position does not decock, but disconnects the trigger, yet also allows full slide rack. The down position to decock is spring return to "normal".

warbird1
08-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Just checked mine. Made in 2008 with slide mounted safety/decocker. no problem racking it on safe.

cbrrider
08-16-2015, 12:32 AM
I have a Baby Eagle II made in 2014. Basically Brand new, only 100 rounds through it.