PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean/lube your Kahr?

alank2
07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I am still debating plunking down the nearly $800 for a black PM9 with night sights as a replacement pocket gun for my 442.

One nice thing about the 442 is that I can let it sit for 6 months and pull the trigger and it is going to shoot.

Will oil dry up on a Kahr and it might not run through a mag after a period of time? Do you guys use grease for longer term lubrication?

How often do you clean? After each range session? Less often?

Thanks,

Alan

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I clean and lube after every range session. I don't think oil / grease will dry up any quicker on a kahr than anything else. I leave mine well oiled and grease on the rails. I don't think I would have any issues going 2 or 3 months without attention but again I haven't tried it yet and rarely go that long with out at least a cursory inspection.
Treat it like a lady and give it a little love once in awhile and you'll have no problems.

rickmn50
07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I also clean and lube after every session at the range. I figure why risk it. I also use Gunzilla and am loving the stuff so far.

rglbegl
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I clean and lube after every range session. . . ..

This

However, I shoot rather often. If you dont shoot at least a couple times per year, you should still inspect each gun twice yearly.

Dietrich
07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
I clean and lube after every range session.I don`t think you`ll have a problem with your Kahr if you don`t shoot it for a while but I would give it at least a light going over every six months or so.Personally,I do it every three months for my unused firearms.My friends think I`m weird but I`m not going to have a weapon malfunction on me due to lack of maintenance.

DMR
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm currently doing a test on my T-9. I gave it a heavy layer of CLP then it sat for 3 weeks before I could get it out to the hang. I fired 850 rounds over the course of 2 1/2 hours without adding lube. She's a dirty beast right now and after another 1150 rounds I will have my results.

So far no issues, except that blister on the base of my thumb:)

jocko
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm currently doing a test on my T-9. I gave it a heavy layer of CLP then it sat for 3 weeks before I could get it out to the hang. I fired 850 rounds over the course of 2 1/2 hours without adding lube. She's a dirty beast right now and after another 1150 rounds I will have my results.

So far no issues, except that blister on the base of my thumb:)

report. T9 super nice peace IMO..

copterdrvr
07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone who has a firearm to defend the lives of their families and themselves would have a firearm in thier possession that wasn't perfectly clean and in the best condition to be counted upon.

The one thing that causes the most problems with a semi-auto is trying to shoot it when it's dirty. DIRT WILL CAUSE JAMS!!!! Take the five lousy minutes it'll take to clean the gun and be done with it. Are the lives of your loved ones not worth 5 minutes? I have to admit I don't get this one.

I can't even imagine putting away a gun-especially a semi-auto, that hasn't been cleaned first. It's so simple and so important and it takes no time at all. Clean you're GUN!!!

alank2
07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi,

I'm not so concerned with dirty as much as just hasn't been shot in 4 months and the oil drying up might be an issue. It sounds like I should plan to clean after shooting and if it has been awhile (3m) add some oil.

Thanks,

Alan

aray
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I've recently switched to using the M-Pro 7 gun cleaner & oil. Some of the solvents on the market have some nasty chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin. The M-Pro 7 products are non-toxic and are MILSPEC rated. Plus, it has very little odor so I can clean in the living room without my wife complaining. I wish the cleaner came in a pressured container however. It doesn't (just spray pump) so I have to use a can of compressed air from Wal-Mart to flush out the little slide clean-out hole on my CW9.

jlottmc
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I too clean after every trip to the range, but I also clean at least once a month. I have had some weapons sit longer than that, and the oils I left on them gave me no problems when I rectified that problem.

Internet Blohard
07-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I am fastidious about cleaning my guns. Every range session, pretty much.

Except for my K9. I have had some serious past issues with it. I managed to resolve them (thank you Jocko), but I am shooting it until the next failure, or thereabouts.

So far, about 800 rounds have been fired since resolution (thank you Jocko) without cleaning. Needless to say, one of my three other Kahrs must bare the burden of defending me.

The K9 still needs to redeem itself. It's a trust issue. I want to see several hundred more rounds before I declare Absolution.

kahrseye
07-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I clean my guns after every range session and relube them every 4-6 months if no other activity. I always use a holster (usually a pocket holster) which cuts down on lint buildup on the weapons.

RogerP9fan
07-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Alan, I'm kinda new here too, but I recently learned from The Kahr veterans here (hey, I just coined a new term) for whom I quickly realized are extremely knowledgeable, that Mil-Comm TW25B is the best grease you can get for your rails. Got my tube ready, just wait'in to lube my gun. (Still doesn't sound quite right)

alank2
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi Roger,

I put a little grease on the part that contacts the striker and also the part the trigger moves on the right side of the frame. I oiled everything else according to the lube diagram. I made it to the range today after work (before I took the sights off!) and put 50 rounds through it. It shot great, I was impressed with the accuracy, and zero failures. I've been using a small tube of flitz grease I got at Walmart a ways back and it works pretty well, but I'll have to check out the TW25B stuff. What rails do you put it on? The main slide rails, or the front of the frame rails, or both?

Thanks,

Alan

RogerP9fan
07-24-2010, 10:57 AM
From what I gathered, the main slide rails...polish it on. Hey, great range report! Great to hear another Kahr shoot'in like a Champ. Hopefully, I'll be amoung that group very soon as my P9 arrives next week.

OldLincoln
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Mil-Comm TW25B is the best grease you can get for your rails.When I read that I thought "Hey wait a minute, I have the best grease". So I looked at the label and saw it was TW25B.:D

As for what to lube, see the Lube Diagram in Kahr-Tech.

carguy79
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I clean after every range trip and inspect often due to lint and dust build up from carrying pocket and IWB. Also check GB on that price, you should be able to do better than that as long as you have a dealer that does transfers cheap. Also check you area for LEO supply stores and many of them will sell to civilians and have amazing prices. One in my city last week had pm9094n for 653 plus tax!!!!

RichN
07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
I cleaned with CLP and lubricated everything that made since to lubricate with Militec at about 150 rounds. I cleaned and treated again at about 300 rounds. Since then I have fired close to 1,000 rounds over a 6 month period without cleaning or additional lubrication and have not had any failures to feed or eject.

This was not just laziness. I wanted to see if the product worked as planned and just how sensitive the Kahr was to being too dry and or dirty. I do plan on aborting the test after next month’s IDPA match.

Here is the website for Miletec.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil (http://www.militec1.com/)

Roadblock
07-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Hrmmm... I actually forget how long ago I got my KAHR's... Tells you it's been a while and I've yet to clean them. In fact, I put 200 rounds threw the P9 tonight, not a single failure.

The most I've ever done is wipe down the outsides with a dry shop rag and wipe out around the inside of the chamber.

I have a GLOCK 17 with about 15~16,000 rounds threw it thats never been cleaned anymore then that either. Now my 1911's, thats another story. They stop working if you dont treat them right! :D

OldLincoln
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Roadblock

Shooting 16K rounds without cleaning it is something. I want to just say wow, but the kind of wow one might say hearing someone drove their new Lexux 60K miles without changing the oil. In fact I heard an ole country guy when I was a kid say he broke in his new Ford by running it a short while without oil in it to take the edges off.

jocko
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Hrmmm... I actually forget how long ago I got my KAHR's... Tells you it's been a while and I've yet to clean them. In fact, I put 200 rounds threw the P9 tonight, not a single failure.

The most I've ever done is wipe down the outsides with a dry shop rag and wipe out around the inside of the chamber.

I have a GLOCK 17 with about 15~16,000 rounds threw it thats never been cleaned anymore then that either. Now my 1911's, thats another story. They stop working if you dont treat them right! :D

kahrs first came out, (we were io the gun business for over 40 years), I had a G19 that myself and others shot for 20,000 rounds and I never cleaned the gun. Once I set it up, I just shot it until I hit the mark that I had set. Used fmj reloads that we did ourselves and tha tgun just never quit.

I just at todays prices see no need to test that out, for , my PM9 is my personal 24/7 carry peace and I want to keep it clean and lubed and ready to go, . My K9 is now one hell of a shooter but I just don't shoot it to much either. Would a kahr go that far without lub???? And would I care??????

I know some LEO'S who carry their duty weapons totally dry, for they say it stays far cleaner and most any semi will empty a half dozen magazines in a dry state.

My favorite lube is TW-25 by far over anything I have ever used, but again this is personal choice. Lots of good lubes out there for sure...

Retops
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
While I usually strive to clean my guns after each shooting session, that is not always what happens. Yesterday, for example, I finally cleaned my P380 that had been shot on two separate occasions without cleaning. Shooting the gun dirty caused no malfunctions at all.

I prefer clean guns, but often work requirements get in the way. Nice to know that the Kahrs will run dirty when you need them.

Ol'coot
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I am a stickler for cleaning my guns after each range session but I do not over lube, but I do want some lubrication on any metal to metal contact points. I have pulled out some of my older semi-autos that have been stored in the safe for well over 2 years and they still function perfectly. I do not do a deep cleaning after every session but the normal field strip and blow out any power residue with compressed air then lightly lube, I usually do use Hoppes #9 in the barrel and then finish up running a bore snake through it a few times before reassembly.

f44life
08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
hey, i shot 100rds monday (cleaned it the day before) havent cleaned it yet and i plan on going out satday for another 200rds...am i going to hurt anything?

Bawanna
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Nope, shoot it after your done this trip to show it some love.

f44life
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
will do thanks, do wanna abuse it

hedgehog
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Anyone use an air compressor to blow the gunk out of your guns? Never thought about it until now but seems like it would get into the small areas where a q tip can't reach

jocko
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
I do when I get done spraying in those areas, mostly to be sure thngs are dry but no doubt if anything is left there, the air pressure should move it out...

johnatw
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Just be careful the air is dry, here in the sunny south the humidity has been so high you could take a shower blowing my compressor air on yourself.
John

hedgehog
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Just be careful the air is dry, here in the sunny south the humidity has been so high you could take a shower blowing my compressor air on yourself.
John
good call. Illl get a dessicant water trap.

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I was a crew chief on KC-135 aircraft in the 60's. The analogy of not cleaning your carry gun to how I maintained my aircraft is striking. I would not have even considered for one moment not checking everything and doing the maintenance needed each and every flight. Some flights were 2 hours some 12 hours, but each got the full treatment.

Like a carry gun, lives were at stake and since I flew with it, mine included.

mity2
09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I may not clean thinternal for weeks at time, but I have to wipe down the exterior at least once every few days, as my K9 is SS frame/Carbonsteel slide model, and both frame/slide rust pretty fast otherwise(don't ask me how I know!:mad:)

Chiral3
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Dab on Hoppe's #9 then blow it all off by compressor, then wipe off with a lint free rag. Then lube the slide and wear points and oil whatnot as you would...