PDA

View Full Version : Cracked barrel..........

mitchsnap
07-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone. New to this forum. Bought a Kahr Arms 1911A1 today. Noticed that there was a hairline crack (after I bought it) right around the base of the rear of the barrel. You can just see on the inside edge of the barrel. Seller said he had no issues with it. Loaded a mag with 7 rounds and cycled each round with no jamming. Anyone ever experience or know of the is issue? Pic enclosed. You can barely see it bit it's there. Thanks to all.

rmw
07-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess I can't see it . If you are talking about the line inside the chamber it looks like the end of the chamber where the case headspaces off of . Is it a two piece bbl like a springfield armory 1911 ?

mitchsnap
07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
First can you see the pic? If you can look at the inside of the feed ramp. Just below the barrel opening you will see a crack going across the radius face of the feed ramp on the polished surface.

jocko
07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
does the crack go allthe way through to the outside???any chance it could be just a bad scratch?? photo really can't see it, just guessing on my part

mitchsnap
07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Crack does not go through the back of the barrel.. Definetly a crack. A hairline crack on the feed ramp. I know it's hard if not impossible to see. But it's there. Just was wondering what other brands of barrels might fit this 1911a1. Possibly Colt??? Kahr wants more than 70 bucks for a new one. Seller states he did fire the way it was and was unaware if this issue.

rmw
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Any bbl should be fit to the gun , There are many sources for bbl's , Brownells and numerous other sources , maybe you should look at this as an opportunity to get a good quality bbl

mitchsnap
07-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Have you or do you know others that have interchanged other companies barrels? Just dont want to buy a barrel and find out it won't work properly.

rmw
07-19-2010, 03:33 AM
For the most part a 1911 bbl is a 1911 bbl . But they all should be fit , any "drop in" 1911 bbl is generally going to be so loose it will not preform well or last very long . Most of the aftermarket bbl's are very good . Wilson,Barsto,Briely , Kart,Clarke

mitchsnap
07-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Ok. Thanks. That makes things a little easier. Would feel more confident with a good barrel.

propex
07-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Before you spend a lot of money, drop by a local reputable gunsmith and have him look at it

mitchsnap
07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I contacted Kahr Arm's tech support. Jason one of the gunsmith's said send it in. Once upon inspection they will see the crack and he said they may replace it. So that's what I'm gonna do. Possibly a bad casting.