PDA

View Full Version : PM9 peening?

newpm9er
09-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I just recently purchased a used PM9 off of GunBrokers and put 100 rounds through it with no issues at all. Overall condition of the gun from outside is pretty good and well kept.

Upon taking off the slide today to take a look at the inside for the very first time, I noticed the front right side of the rail on frame is peening or being scraped up quite a bit -> more than quite a bit.

I've had a P9 in past and by far shot much more rounds through that with no issues...

Has anyone else experienced this too? My serial prefix is IA4xxxx. I already filled out one of Kahr's RA forms and hope they can do the right thing and stand behind their product in a noble fashion and help resolve this.

Thx

Cappy
09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Wish you the best of luck getting it fixed. Do you know how old it was when you got it off Gun Broker? Kahr offers a 5 year warrenty to the original owner, but maybe they will still back the product.

newpm9er
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
No, I don't know how much was used, but in looking at the Serial prefix of IA4xxx and cross referenced to another site along with their date, stamp, I would put it somewhere May 2008 - Aug 2009.

I too hope that they will honor their warranty regardless of original owner or not, but more so of manufacture time instead.

Cappy
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Good luck! Keep us posted how it goes!!!

deadhead1971
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Did the person you bought it from provide any history of the gun? How long they had it? How many rounds are through it? Why they are selling it? Or was there an ad describing the gun?

I have a fairly new PM9--got it in June. I have about 375 rounds through it so far with 2 ftfs, which happened after the 200 round break-in. :)

It seems to me you don't know if the scraping happened under your 100 rounds or was there when you got it.

I have heard of the famous barrel peening issue but not this. Keep us posted. I would e-mail/contact Kahr and give them the serial # and tell them what's going on and see what they say.

P-Denny
09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I bought a new PM9 a few days ago and noticed that after about 75 rounds the short plastic rail on the right front was looking pretty mangled. I called the factory this morning and asked about it and was told it's normal during break-in. I also asked about the nick in the left front metal rail that the slide rides on, and was relieved to hear that it's supposed to be there.

I carefully used a hobby knife, some sandpaper, and my fingernail to clean up the damaged plastic rail, and realized it wasn't damaged as much as I thought. Then I ran nine more magazines through the gun and the rail still looks good. What a relief to know everything is good with the gun! Over the weekend, I was fearing I was going to have to send it back.

Denny

newpm9er
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Kahr sent me an RA to send back to them tomorrow to see. Will see how that goes.

The previous owner claims to have shot only 20 rounds. I put about 100 with no issues except the very last round failed to lock slide back. Outside of that, the gun functioned waaaaay better than I :rolleyes:

I'll keep everyone posted.

FMF4
09-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I have three polymer framed Kahr's and all experienced some marring of the polymer rails during break in. It is normal, I just cleaned them up with a pen knife after break in. It in no way effects performance of the pistol.

Cappy
09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I bought a new PM9 a few days ago and noticed that after about 75 rounds the short plastic rail on the right front was looking pretty mangled. I called the factory this morning and asked about it and was told it's normal during break-in. I also asked about the nick in the left front metal rail that the slide rides on, and was relieved to hear that it's supposed to be there.

I carefully used a hobby knife, some sandpaper, and my fingernail to clean up the damaged plastic rail, and realized it wasn't damaged as much as I thought. Then I ran nine more magazines through the gun and the rail still looks good. What a relief to know everything is good with the gun! Over the weekend, I was fearing I was going to have to send it back.

Denny

I found an article by an old time Gunsmith that recommended putting red rouge polishing compound on the rails, put the slide back on and work it back and forth. When I got my PM9 I did this to help smooth the rough spots in the rail grooves of the slide. I left the barrel out and worked it back and forth with downward pressure and upward pressure. I worked it back and forth about 20 times, which seemed to shine both the grooves and the rails real nice. The first time I shot the gun after trying this I noted the the rails had no marring. :33:

It seemed to work, at least with this little baby.

newpm9er
10-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Denny

your description above sounds exactly like what i have. But my P9 does not have this same issue. In any event, they now have it and will see how that goes.

Kahrdog
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Cappy, my front right rail seems a little rough after 125 rounds too. The rouge trick sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking the "Diamond Like Coating" Black finish is much harder than the rail and causing the wear. I'll give it a try. Maybe it will smooth things out some.

Kahrdog

newpm9er
10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Cappy, my front right rail seems a little rough after 125 rounds too. The rouge trick sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking the "Diamond Like Coating" Black finish is much harder than the rail and causing the wear. I'll give it a try. Maybe it will smooth things out some.

Kahrdog

just an fyi, my slide is not the black finish, but the stainless.

Cappy
10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Kahrdog, I also have the "Diamond Like Coating" on my slide, I can't say for sure it did the trick or if I was just lucky to have no rough spots. I tried it since my P-45 had its rails rather roughed up after the first trip to the range. It took a number of trips to the range with the 45 before the rails smoothed out. Trying this polishing suggestion on my PM9 seemed to prevent prevent what I experience with my P-45. If you try it, keep us posted what you think afterwords. :)

Cappy
10-04-2009, 09:28 PM
just an fyi, my slide is not the black finish, but the stainless.

Newpm9er, the polishing method I spoke of should also apply to the standard SS slide. If you try it keep us posted. Some have used Dremels on their slides to polish the rail grooves, I am not in favor of that approach since one could round the edges of the rail groove. Keep us posted! ;)

newpm9er
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Update:

Just got back from Kahr. They said it was normal as part of break-in period and filed it down for me. So while at shop, i had them install the night sights for me and I purchased the A-Grip and installed myself. Agrips - highly recommend for all plastic guns. I have them on my Glocks and absolutely love them to death! ;)