PDA

View Full Version : Recoil spring replacement interval

oldtex
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I called Kahr CS yesterday to find out how often to change the recoil spring in my wife's K9, which has about 540 flawless rds through it thus far. The fellow there with whom I spoke (didn't catch his name) told me that Kahr recommends the replacement of recoil springs on all its guns at an interval of 1000-1500 rds. This is regardless of caliber and regardless of slide length.

I intend to follow his advice, but was surprised that the interval is the same for all models. I expected the interval for a PM9 to be about 1000 rds(changed mine at 750 and again at another 1050), but I expected a significant difference in interval between the PM9 and say, the T9.

Is this 1000-1500 figure a commonly known thing among Kahr owners?

Dietrich
07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I can`t speak for all the Kahr models but I was told by Ian to change the spring on my PM9 at about 1,200 rounds.I did it ,even though I hadn`t experienced any problems at that point.Good preventive maintainance I suppose.:)

deadhead1971
07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I had posted this thread last month http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/2470-pm9s-recoil-spring-photos.html

I changed mine at about 1,400 after a failure to eject. The gun fired, and slide went back but the shell brass was stuck in the chamber. I changed the spring and fired another box of 50 rounds with no problems.

ripley16
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Some small guns have a recommended interval of only a couple hundred rounds, to ensure reliable operation. It isn't that unreasonable to expect 1000 or so to be a good point at which to replace the spring on such a small pistol as the PM, especially if you use any +p rounds in it.

OldLincoln
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Now I'm curious. Does all the hand racking I've done count toward the spring replacement? When it was new I racked it a few hundred times to loosen it up a tad.

RogerP9fan
07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
That's a good question as I've just been informed my P9 has shipped and I have oil and lube ready and then I'm going to rack away! (somehow that just didn't sound right) :D

ripley16
07-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Now I'm curious. Does all the hand racking I've done count toward the spring replacement? When it was new I racked it a few hundred times to loosen it up a tad.

IMHO; Racking by hand and actually shooting are two different things entirely. You simply cannot duplicate the force or acceleration of firing as the gun cycles. To me it is the same sort of difference as between sitting in your idle car, making VROOM noises and actually driving.

Hand racking is good for making sure it is put back together correctly and for distributing oil/grease. If you gun is new, it gives you a chance to become familiar with it I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't count the hand racked cycles against the recoil spring use.

FWIW; the most recently replaced recoil spring in one of my Kahrs was in a T9, done on principle, not beause of a noticed change in performance. I can't tell the difference at all. I suspect that old spring has many more rounds left in it.

johnatw
07-24-2010, 06:09 AM
At 1200 rounds I "felt" like I noticed some changes in the way my CW40 handled. The recoil seemed harder and the spent casing were flying further and all over the place. I replaced the spring and recoil and casings returned to the normal state. Possibly just a mind thing??

wyntrout
07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
That's a good question as I've just been informed my P9 has shipped and I have oil and lube ready and then I'm going to rack away! (somehow that just didn't sound right) :D

If you're going to your rack with the P9, make sure you've wiped off all of the excess lubricant. You wouldn't want to stain your bedclothes... also be careful about sleeping with and fondling it while it's loaded... OR you're loaded. LOL.
Wynn:D

jlottmc
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I do that all the dang time Wynn. Whats wrong with sleeping with your piece?

wyntrout
07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Nothing just practice safe se... er, be safe! The worst case is if you're both LOADED!.:eek:

Hey, I love my guns and I've fondled them quite a bit. My new Charles Daly Tactical Semi Auto 12 gauge is not very cuddly and it's heavy, but still sexy looking.

I found a decent place for my sight and mount screws at monsterfastener.com last night. Most places had a minimum purchase or size of 50 to 100, or 1,000, or 3,000!
I couldn't find one at Numrich or Brownells where screws were running about $4 each plus shipping! I got what I wanted in lots of 10 to 20, depending on the size, for about $2 a box and reasonable shipping. The metric flat socket cap screws were under the bolts section, though.
MonsterFastener (http://monsterfastener.com/)
Wynn:D

jlottmc
07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
That sounds like a winner. Those heavy shotguns are fun to shoot though, plus if it's sexy looking then cuddling with it is a no brainer, it's cuddly...

Dietrich
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
My PM9 is more receptive to fondling and cuddling than Mrs.Dietrich is and it doesn`t laugh when it sees me nekkid.[Which I am as I type this,by the way.]

jlottmc
07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey this is a family place... some of the youngins don't need to see that.

Old No7
07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah -- what he said!!!

And some of us old farts -- we didn't need the mental image either!!! :eek:

Old No7