PDA

View Full Version : Ported K40

Ol'coot
07-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I took my K40 to Mag-Na-Port this morning to drop it off to have it ported arriving as they open their doors at 9:00AM and was very pleasantly surprised when I was ask if I want to wait on it. I of course said I would wait so I was told it would take approximately 2 hours so the wife and I went over to a CrackerBarrel close by and had a big breakfast and returned to pick it up just after 11:00 and only had to wait about 10 minutes until they could pull it out of the machine and clean it up. I have attached a photo and plan to take it out tomorrow and give it a test run, I also placed my order with Kahrshop for a set of the checkered wood grips last night. This is going to become one special little gun. I am also thinking of doing a melt job to round off the corners a bit more, then polish it up to remove all surface roughness and then bead blast all over to give it a silky smooth satin finish but that would be something I will do myself this winter when I am not so busy at work. :D

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/s7/v8/p462490924-4.jpg

RogerP9fan
07-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Very cool! Does it reduce felt recoil significantly? I know my Glock .40s like to kick! Not concerned about muzzle flash projected northward?

jlottmc
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I like, I don't care for the porting (just me and my old ways), but those guys do real good work. What kind of wood are you thinking about for the grips? I bet some ironwood or cherry would do real purdy on that...

Ol'coot
07-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Very cool! Does it reduce felt recoil significantly? I know my Glock .40s like to kick! Not concerned about muzzle flash projected northward?

RogerP9fan,,

I will give a report after my range trip tomorrow evening, I have not shot a P40 that has been ported but I do have a S&W 686 that is ported and the difference is substantial, The Person at Mag-Na-Port told me today that on average the barrel rise is reduce by 30% and the felt recoil is reduce by 20%

I like, I don't care for the porting (just me and my old ways), but those guys do real good work. What kind of wood are you thinking about for the grips? I bet some ironwood or cherry would do real purdy on that...

jlottmc,

The grip are the checkered Exotic Hardwood PAU FERRO off of the kahr website. I cannot find anyone else with grips for this gun in stock I would think I could special order them from one of the custom grip makers but the cost would be really high.

jocko
07-24-2010, 07:44 PM
ol cool, you will loke the ported K40. great gun but IMO the porting just makes it so so nice to shoot. My K9 is ported and hell I don't even feel anythingj, just sits there waiting on the next shot.

My G19 IMO is the best ported gun I have ever shot. I truthfully feels like my 22 conversion kit when on it. just nothing in recoil. My best semi in years for this ol timer. just to damn big for pocket carry like my trusty ported PM9 rides every day...

RogerP9fan
07-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Cool. I agree the wood grips would look awesome. Did you see Ripley's K9 with the new wood grips?
Gorgeous!

Steve-$
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
That is one fine looking piece.

There's just something about stainless steel.

Believe I am going to be Mag-na-porting my K9, once it comes back from the factory from getting a set of XS Big Dot Tritium sights installed.

deadhead1971
07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Some of my gun buddies claim that if you ever have to fire a ported gun in self defense without ear plugs, it will blow your eardrums out.

Ol'coot
07-26-2010, 06:53 AM
IMHO that is a bunch of Bullsh*t, I would not want to fire any center fire hand gun in a enclosed space like a car interior as the blast concussion and noise would be bad on the ear drums for sure, But in a situation where I would need to fire my gun in self defense , I would not hesitate to do so.

Here is some information taken right off of the Mag-Na-Port website,

The Mag-na-port Process

Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.

The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation.

It should be noted that Mag-na-porting a firearm:

* does NOT reduce velocity
* does NOT affect inherent accuracy
* does NOT raise noise level

Mag-na-porting:

* DOES reduce muzzle lift
* DOES reduce perceived recoil
* DOES increase the value of a firearm

jocko
07-26-2010, 08:14 AM
:53:
Some of my gun buddies claim that if you ever have to fire a ported gun in self defense without ear plugs, it will blow your eardrums out.

of ur gun buddies are dummer than owl sh-t to...:53:

deadhead1971
07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
* does NOT raise noise level

Not suggetsing that it does. The way they explained it, the noise coming out of the "ports" is more directed at your head/ears. Makes sense to me. I am not saying it's true or false because I don't have a ported barrel to make comparrisons. But it is a topic out there in internet land..some do report more noise.

I just did a google--

Question on ported barrel use - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! (http://www.***********/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/93197-question-ported-barrel-use.html)

Ported barrels are they worth it ? - Maryland Shooters (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=217535)

pros and cons of a ported barrel. [Archive] - THR (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-217032.html)

Single-Actions - Should I Magnaport? (http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sas&thread=2650&page=2#27041)

Ol'coot
07-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I think the perception of more noise may be there especially in a indoor range or other enclosed space but I personally have not experienced any noticeable increase in noise, The are also a lot of people that say that the muzzle flash out of the ports making shooting it at night a bigger problem but according to mag-na-port the actual studies done by Night sight manufactures point to a different conclusions stating that the effect is no worse than an un-ported gun of the same caliber. It is possible to find opinions on any type of mods both pro and cons by the hundreds with most of the people just repeating what they have heard from some one else with no fact or personal experience factored in at all. I am in no way an expert but I have shot and owned many handguns that have been ported and personally find no good reason not to port one and many good reasons to port especially on the larger caliburs.

jocko
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
best advice I can give anyone who relies on "other" people comments is to definitely not port yourgun. For me, I will port um all. They offer no down side and if there is a noise difference, i can't tell it and even that is not a deterent. Flash out the end of the ports is hogwash. I defy anyone to shoot his kahr at evening and tell me there is not alot of flame coming out the end of their barrel. You ain't gonna get away from it. but again for me I will port until the cows come home, shot they for over 25 years. Magna ports work for me that is for sure.

I have found in the past that many reports of negatives on porting comes from people who don't own, or shoot a ported gun. they probably ain't for everyone, just as much as kahrs are not for everyone either.

Ol'coot
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I finally made to the range this evening and put about 60 rounds of Winchester White box 165 FMJ through the freshly ported barrel and I am very impressed with how much less the barrel rises , it is now very close in recoil and barrel rise to PM9. I am still shooting a low and to the left by about 1 inch at 25 ft but getting acceptable groups. I know I must be pulling off a bit just before the trigger breaks. I will work on correcting this problem next trip.

jlottmc
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Good show. If you like the porting, then you done good. Shoot it, shoot it more rinse and repeat.

Jbazin85
02-28-2022, 01:04 PM
Any long term report? About to buy a ported barrel for mine

Ol'coot
03-01-2022, 08:41 AM
Had my K40 Magnaported in September of 2009. I would estimate around 3500 rounds down range sice then. It makes the K40 very enjoyable to shoot!