PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) K9 Elite 2003 (with a night sight question)

TheGreatGonzo
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Several years ago I sold my Kahr K9 in a fit of bad judgement. It was the only 9mm single-stack pistol I ever carried that felt better than my S&W 3953. Well, this week I was able to trade back into one. Specifically, an Elite 2003 model. I could not be more pleased. The only place this one will go is into some leather and on to my hip. What once was lost, now is found....
http://www.fototime.com/462806D5FA59601/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/4A76F18B01ABC96/standard.jpg

Now I just need to get some custom leather for it.

Can a gunsmith install night sights on the K9 or does it have to be done at the factory
Thanks,
Gonzo

ripley16
07-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Can a gunsmith install night sights on the K9 or does it have to be done at the factory
Thanks,
Gonzo

There's no reason a gunsmith can't install the sights. He should have a quality universal sight pusher.

Nitro700
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
had a gunsmith put sights on my K9 Elite 98 and P380; it took about 15 min and sights were dead on target when he was done.:D I think it cost $20.00 each.

Bawanna
07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Love the wood handles and the pin looks great although I cant really tell what it is.

Any gunsmith should be able to install whatever sights you want. Depending on what sight you choose you can sometimes send it to the sight maker and they will install for you.

A sight pusher is great to get the sights moving to take off. They are installed with a hammer and a punch and then adjusted with the sight pusher.
I've watched a local smith (gone now) install many sights and he never used a pusher, just a good punch and a very small hammer.

RogerP9fan
07-28-2010, 11:42 PM
The gunsmith should use a bore sighter upon completion of the installation to ensure they are 100% accurately aligned. Nice nice gun!

TheGreatGonzo
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. It appeared upon visual inspection that a sight pusher could be used to change the sights. But for some reason, I had it in my mind that I had read somewhere that it had to be done at the factory. I may be confusing it with some other model or maybe just losing my mind. I am an armorer and I did not see anything about the sights or slide that would make it proprietary, but I wanted to make sure before I did anything that could not be fixed.

The grips are by Wicked Grips and the inlay is of the Chinese characters for "Dragon". The original owner had them made and I had planned to change them out for the factory rubber grips, but they have rather grown on me.

wyntrout
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
At least that's what he said.... You can never know about the Chinese characters/pictograms... someone could really be getting a good laugh... and he could be LHAO. At least it's not a tattoo. :p

Nice looking gun, though. The K9 series is one of the best "natural pointing" guns I've ever held and I love my factory rubber grips... perfect fit for me. The only complaint I have is that the night sights are not so bright after 13+ years. I need to send it to Trijicon for "re-lining".

I'm bored this morning and my MBR toilet that I "fixed" not too long ago isn't working right now. I thought that I had fixed it for good a few months ago... looks like a defective valve and, of course, I can't find anything on that kit in the last 6 months, receipt-wise. There's a powder room just outside the MBR, so it's not "critical" for the moment. There's always something....

Wynn:D