PDA

View Full Version : TP9 Grip Chop?

Linkscoach
02-16-2016, 07:59 AM
I picked up a like new TP9 locally a couple of weeks ago. It's my first Kahr and so far I really like it. I was searching for a P9 as an alternate CC to my Glock 19 but never found a used one.

I like the TP9 and the little bit of extra sight radius is starting to grow on me. What I'm not liking as much is the longer grip of the TP9. It's actually a hair longer than my 19. The idea was to use the Kahr as a summer CC and the extra grip length is kind of killing that for me.

I know the original TP9s were built on P9 frames. It has me thinking about having my TP9 cut down to accept 7 round magazines.

I was wondering if anyone has done this? Anyone have any thoughts about doing this? Should I ship it to someone or try it on my own? Any recommendations on who to send it to if I go that route?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

berettabone
02-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Yes............................foolishness........ .................if you like..................................sell it to someone whole, and buy a smaller firearm. It's why they make the MK, the PM, the CM etc. Why people want to cut up new firearms is beyond me. No resale value...............paperweight.

Linkscoach
02-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Not much resale value on a TP9 to start with. Buds is practically giving them away. I'm not sure how turning it into a TP9 covert reduces it to paper weight status.

berettabone
02-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Not much resale value on a TP9 to start with. Buds is practically giving them away. I'm not sure how turning it into a TP9 covert reduces it to paper weight status.

Because people don't like chopped up firearms........................want a covert, buy a covert:)

Linkscoach
02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
You're right. TP9 is going up for sale. Limited availability of holsters is a factor also.

jeremy_vorce
02-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Hmmm. I have a cw9 I might trade for the tp9. Where you located.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Linkscoach
02-21-2016, 04:50 PM
It's already gone.

hardluk1
02-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Or maybe buy a more adjustable holster so you can conceal that long grip better .

tjm
07-13-2016, 06:42 AM
Hi Linkscoach,

I chopped down the grip on my TP9 for that exact reason. The long grip kept bugging me, but I really liked the longer sight radius.
The TP9 was great before the chop, but really love it now. Great to carry, accurate, easy target acquisition with the XS big-dot sights I added, and wonderful balance given the 7 vs 8 rounds. I cut the bottom of the frame to line up with the mag so the whole thing is flush. Super easy mod, just be sure to measure twice, and be patient. I'll try to attach a pic.
Haveagoodone.

Tom

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13966&stc=1

ripley16
07-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Nice job. I bought my TP9 with the intent of having the original 7 round sized grip. Bud's showed the short grip but was selling the longer grip TP. A little surprise when it arrived at my FFL. I thought about but never got around to cutting anything but it makes perfect sense - having a more concealable pistol with a longer 4" barrel. Maybe one day... until then, I really enjoy the TP9 more than any other Kahr.

tjm
07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Nice job. I bought my TP9 with the intent of having the original 7 round sized grip. Bud's showed the short grip but was selling the longer grip TP. A little surprise when it arrived at my FFL. I thought about but never got around to cutting anything but it makes perfect sense - having a more concealable pistol with a longer 4" barrel. Maybe one day... until then, I really enjoy the TP9 more than any other Kahr.

Thanks Ripley. When you do decide to do yours, it's really no big deal. I only took off about 1/2" including sanding and getting things level&square.
Now the sights, those were a pain in the ass.
Take care

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpshaw
09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with a TP9 chopped to covert. It's the butt that usually prints not the barrel.

1911master
09-21-2016, 05:28 PM
I just traded for a TP cut down to take 7 round mags from a local gun dealer. Super sweet pistol!