PDA

View Full Version : MK9 vs. MK40 need advice for purchase

wingnut
09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I have a Sig P229 .40 and a XD40 Subcompact. I decided to get something slimmer - a 9mm single stack. I went from almost buying a Kel-Tec PF-9 to deciding on a Kahr PM9, and then I laid eyes on the MK series. I think the MK series is where it's at. The MK9/MK40 looks like a mini Sig P226 or P220 to me. I love them! They look & feel awesome!

So now, since I'm new to Kahr, can you experts tell me is there any reason I should go with MK9 over MK40? My other guns are 40 but the 9mm gives me more capacity, less recoil, etc. How's the track record of the MK40 vs. the MK9? Any checkered past I should know about with one or the other?

Also what does the Elite series of MK's give you? From the website it looks like just the shiny polish. Is it a different trigger? Different anything? Just cosmetic?

Thanks a ton for your feedback. I just signed up here today, but look forward to all I can learn and participate in the future.

-WingNut

Dozer
09-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey Wingnut, if I were in your situation, I would stay with a caliber that I already shoot. If you shoot both 9mm and .40SW, then the decision becomes a little more difficult. Economically, buying bulk in one caliber is better than buying in multiple calibers. As for what you get with the Elite series, the mag well is beveled for easier and faster reloading, the feed ramp is polished for more reliable chambering and (I think) you get a smoother trigger... and, of course, it's prettier! Maybe you could buy both??

500KV
09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I have a Sig P229 .40 and a XD40 Subcompact. I decided to get something slimmer - a 9mm single stack. I went from almost buying a Kel-Tec PF-9 to deciding on a Kahr PM9, and then I laid eyes on the MK series. I think the MK series is where it's at. The MK9/MK40 looks like a mini Sig P226 or P220 to me. I love them! They look & feel awesome!

So now, since I'm new to Kahr, can you experts tell me is there any reason I should go with MK9 over MK40? My other guns are 40 but the 9mm gives me more capacity, less recoil, etc. How's the track record of the MK40 vs. the MK9? Any checkered past I should know about with one or the other?

Also what does the Elite series of MK's give you? From the website it looks like just the shiny polish. Is it a different trigger? Different anything? Just cosmetic?

Thanks a ton for your feedback. I just signed up here today, but look forward to all I can learn and participate in the future.

-WingNut

Dozer makes some excellent points in favor of a .40 cal gun.

I would just throw something else in the mix and say.. that sooner or later almost every handgun shooter is going to wind up with a 9mm of some kind..cheaper to shoot, and as you say, less recoil and higher capacity.
You'd probably shoot it more which is where the fun is.

To go a step further..you'll probably wind up with some kind of .45 cal. gun if your interest continues.
Anyway, good luck with your choice(s).
Everyone has ideas, and you could get a hundred different suggestions.
Just my $.02.

1sleekMK40
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Have the MK40, love it. Don't notice the recoil difference myself. Go 40!!:D

wingnut
09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, actually I ended up with the MK9 in a trade for my Sig. Shot it today and I really like it. I ordered the wood grips and can't wait to get them. Thanks for the advice here. I decided to go with whichever one I could find the best deal on.

jggonzalez
10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I think you'll like the wood grips. I put a set on my MK9 and noticed a big improvement. They're a little bit wider than the stock grips and noticeably reduce felt recoil.

scrapperid
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Wingnut,
I got the pm9 in april, love it-first 9-- already have 2 bigger .40s. Got to liking pocket carry, even in summer, and though I feel 9 is good if all is right, don't like the prospects with winter clothes, including coats around here. Wanted a 40 small enough to pocket carry easily. But I knew from the recoil of my beretta 9000 .40 that a gun of pm size AND weight would have a pretty snappy kick. So in early July I got on the net and found an mk40. Love both kahrs. Practice the same with those two. Since then a friend bought a pm 40 and I haven't been able to shoot it yet. But he said it is quite a bit harder than the mk Duh!! But still love the mk 40, shoot it lots, not a bit of problem with either kahr, and won't part with either. Sorry I get so long winded, but I'd get the 40.
Wayne

ltxi
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
For me....I've come to the conclusion that in the PM series the nine is optimal for size/weight/control. Adding the weight of the steel frame, the .40 is good, particularly in the K series. I haven't quite made up my mind about the MK40 vs MK9 yet, but since I already own an MK9 that biases the coin toss.

wingnut
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
The wood grips came in yesterday for my MK9 and man I love them! I'll have to take some pics, but you guys know how they look already. They look sweet and they feel awesome!

DustyJacket
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Good luck finding an MK9.
I had my dealer looking for one. They couldn't find one anywhere, so I ended up with a PM40.

PM40 is nice, but I really wish I had that 9mm.

wingnut
10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Good luck finding an MK9.

I actually found one through a trade. See:

Well, actually I ended up with the MK9 in a trade for my Sig.

But yes, I agree, it is hard to find one. And hard to find a good price to boot.

Cappy
10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey Wingnut, if I were in your situation, I would stay with a caliber that I already shoot. If you shoot both 9mm and .40SW, then the decision becomes a little more difficult. Economically, buying bulk in one caliber is better than buying in multiple calibers. As for what you get with the Elite series, the mag well is beveled for easier and faster reloading, the feed ramp is polished for more reliable chambering and (I think) you get a smoother trigger... and, of course, it's prettier! Maybe you could buy both??

I have to agree with Dozer. The economics of it! However, I also have to agree that the 9 is the choice in the PM series due to weight. You should try shooting both the MK9 and MK40 to see for yourself which feels the best (IMO).

Jethro
01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I once had a K40. Accurate but very snappy. Traded it on a MK9 Elite '03. Much happier. Shoots just as well on target but much more pleasant.

zeitgeist
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I have an MK40 and the recoil isn't bad at all.

The gun is heavy enough that you won't have any problems. I haven't shot an MK9.

jocko
01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
The wood grips came in yesterday for my MK9 and man I love them! I'll have to take some pics, but you guys know how they look already. They look sweet and they feel awesome!

be always sure that right side wood grip screws are dead tight. If they get at all loose u can get light strikes due tothe trigger bar back out. That grip holds the trigger bar in correct position. My right side grips screws on my K9 seemto get loose alot. I hate to do any locktiteing to them, so I just keep an eye on them. ...Nice gun by theway, you will love it..

scrapperid
01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
My mk40 wood grip screws loosen also. What concerns me most is that the frame threads will wear more that way, esp considering that the threaded frame isn't that thick so not a lot of threads. I think I'm going to use a medium hold loctite, that shouldn't be that tough to unscrew once again looking at the thinness of the threaded frame i'd rather riskk that than having the threads loosen so often.
the wood grips do make the gun easier to shoot and a bit more comfy.
I have a pm 9 also, and is handier to carry, esp in summer.
But that mk 40 with wood is soooo puuurdy! And with big dots I can hit better than with the 9mm. Love them both
Wayne

quikduk
01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Where are the pics of the wood grips? Have you guys also changed out the grip screws to either the SS Torx or Allen type?