PDA

View Full Version : How do the checkered wood grips on the K40 effect recoil?

RogerP9fan
08-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Those checkered wood grips look so good on the K series pistols! I'm seriously considering trading my G23 for a new Kahr K40 and would like to know first about how the wood grips effect recoil. Is the recoil the same as with the stock grips? More, less? Are they as comfortable as the stock grips?

ripley16
08-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Personally, I can't tell any difference in the wood Vs. standard grips on the K9 as far as recoil goes. I've had rubber, Crimson Trace, both checkered as well as smooth wood all on the same gun and can't tell a bit of difference.

Bawanna
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a K40, came with the rubber grips which are very comfy and work well. BUT, I'm a wood guy and I make grips. Some say that the checkering can be too rough on the 40 and or claim that the rubber soaks up a bit of the recoil or muzzle flip. To me the wood works just fine. If checkering is to abrasive on your hands it's a simple matter to just lightly sand the points a bit to tone it down.
One plus to the rubber is they offer a good gripping surface over the entire grip, you can almost squeeze and form fit your hand.
Wood just looks so awesome I'd probably run em even if they didn't work so well.

RogerP9fan
08-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for that. yeah, wood sure is pretty to look at...but sounds like the grips that come with are more designed for comfort. They're rubber? I thought they were polymer grips on the new K series guns?

Bawanna
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that. yeah, wood sure is pretty to look at...but sounds like the grips that come with are more designed for comfort. They're rubber? I thought they were polymer grips on the new K series guns?

Actually I think your right, they switched from rubber to plastic of some sort. Mine are rubber and are very comfortable.
All the more reason to seek wood if you ask me.
Nail a K40 (hopefully the frames are same old/new) and we'll talk wood.

ripley16
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
They're rubber? I thought they were polymer grips on the new K series guns?

There was a change in grips at some point. The early grips were much softer than the newer polymer grips. I have both a very early K9 and a 2009 K9. Both may be made of polymer and not actually rubber, my mistake, but the feel is more "rubber like" in the older grips.

RogerP9fan
08-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, apparently the newer stock K40 grips are described as "soft polymer". Are they actually made by Hogue that come with the K series?

Tack
08-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Yeah, apparently the newer stock K40 grips are described as "soft polymer". Are they actually made by Hogue that come with the K series?

The "Old" Rubber grips on my K9 were made by Hogue. I don't know about the newer Soft Polymer grips.

RogerP9fan
08-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Guys, I appreciate the helpful replies as I was seriously considering buying a K40 also to replace my G27 as primary carry..........after much thought and reality check I realized three major points.
1) G27 is much more concealable due to that short grip (especially in the rear, which is usually hardest to conceal)
2) Higher capacity at 9 +1. 10 + 1 with Pearce extension.
3) Pearce +1 should help with control (recoil) along with my 18# springs.

Oh yeah, and the Glock is only 2/10ths'' thicker than the K40.

But man, I really like that K40!!!