PDA

View Full Version : K 40 elite trigger?

Mdubtech
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi guys I am new to the site but own two Kahrs, a PM9 and K40. Love them both but I can tell a difference in the trigger pull length. I have read about converting the K40 to the Elite trigger. I had also read on a glock forum that all one would need is the Elite trigger, trigger spring, and trigger spacer. Is this correct?
I called Kahr to ask them but they stated all K40's came from the factory with the elite trigger. I don't buy this. They also say all polymer models, ie my PM9 have the elite trigger. I know the two are different.
My K40 was made in 98, maybe in later models the trigger was different.
Has anyone actually done this mod or have good info? Thanks

cmichael
09-28-2009, 03:55 AM
What is elite trigger?

AZ Traveler
10-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, your K40 is old enough to have the non-elite trigger.

FYI - Early on the only Kahrs that had the Elite Trigger were the Elite 98 models. Once Kahr introduced the polymer frame models they decided to put the Elite Trigger in all Kahrs steel and Polymer Frame. This was sometime after early 2001. This continued until mid 2005 when Kahr introduced the K9 with the NYCPD Trigger. The NYCPD Trigger is the old non-Elite Trigger.

The difference between the Elite Trigger and the Non-Elite Trigger is the length of travel. The Elite has a length of Travel of 3/8" and the Non-Elite has a length of travel of 1/2".

Yes, the trigger on your K40 can be changed. However it is important to know that the trigger pin is shouldered and will only come out one way. Also the Trigger pin is press fit and very tough to get out. Many a Kahr Frame has been scratched and many a pin punch has been belt trying to hammer the trigger pin out. Pressing out the Trigger pin is the preferred method.

YMMV

Mdubtech
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Awesome info, thanks. That makes sense from all the info I have read. So is it correct that all i need to order and replace is the trigger, trigger spring, and trigger spacer? I am a mechanic and have access to a press to make the trigger pin removal easier.

Mdubtech
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Well I decided to order these elite 98 trigger parts despite not knowing for sure if this would work.
I could tell a difference between the two even before I installed it. The elite trigger has polished sides and a small recessed dot on the back side of the trigger.
Anyway, I used a press at work and a small punch to drive out the trigger pin. Took some trial and error and some small needlenose pliers to get the trigger spring and spacer in place but I did. Press the pin back in carefully to make sure everything is aligned. That was it. I can tell that this has done the trick. The trigger used to rest almost against the frame when held back. Now there is almost 1/4 gap. Pulling the triggers on my PM9 and K40 they now both break at the same time and have the same pull weight!
I am going to the range tom and will update after shooting it!
Hope people found this useful as it is an awesome and cheap upgrade..

jocko
11-22-2009, 10:44 AM
to my knowledge (which is somewhat limited at times) The only kahr that did not have the elite trigger was the K9. The only difference between the elite trigger and the NYPD trigger which is only on the K9 kahrs is that the elite trigger has a 3/8" trigger pull and the K9 NYPD trigger has a 1/2" trigger pull. trigger poundage and everything else is exactly the same. I would have bet (might have lost also) that your K40 had the elite trigger in it, no matter what age it was..Anyway you did a nice job with the trigger system as pushing the trigger pin out is a ***** and required patience and "knowlege" of which it looks like u had both.

arizona traveler might be dead right with his report to. I do intend to check this out and will get back..

GOOFA
11-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I currently have a K9, CW9, PM9, and I just picked up a K9 Elite 2003 and a P380 a few days ago. The K9 has the NY trigger which I dislike. The CW,PM, and too early to tell if the P380 is the same as the CW and the PM. But, I will tell you this, my new K9 Elite 2003 is the finest of the bunch, I find it much better than the CW and the PM. I know a lot of you think they are the same because Kahr leads you to believe that from their brochures. Last week I spoke to tech support from Kahr about my P380 and I mentioned my trigger on my Elite. What I got out of our conversation is that the trigger on my Elite 2003 was the best Kahr has to offer and that it was unique to the Elite 2003. That would seem to make sense that their premier pistol would be more than just polished flats.

jocko
11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Kahr elite triggers are on all models except the K9 which has the NYPD. trigger. Goofa, they are the same,u just got a very smooth one, there is no difference. I doubt if a NYPD trigger will ever be on the P380 guns, and not sure even what the trigger travel is on the P380, whether it is the same as the other kahrs in 3/8" trigger pull.

When one buys the "elite" version,he is spending about $200 more over the standard K( version and for that money he is getting a polished slide, mag well cut outs and polished slide and frame and I would think the trigger would be also polished also. that in itself could possaby make ones gun smoother over the standard elite trigger systems, but i seriously doubt that as the elite trigger system on all kahrs are known to be totally smooth as glass.

GOOFA
11-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Kahr elite triggers are on all models except the K9 which has the NYPD. trigger. Goofa, they are the same,u just got a very smooth one, there is no difference. I doubt if a NYPD trigger will ever be on the P380 guns, and not sure even what the trigger travel is on the P380, whether it is the same as the other kahrs in 3/8" trigger pull.

When one buys the "elite" version,he is spending about $200 more over the standard K( version and for that money he is getting a polished slide, mag well cut outs and polished slide and frame and I would think the trigger would be also polished also. that in itself could possaby make ones gun smoother over the standard elite trigger systems, but i seriously doubt that as the elite trigger system on all kahrs are known to be totally smooth as glass.
jocko...

The difference in price (MSRP) between the Elite 2003 and the standard K is only $77.00. The big pain was that it took 9 1/2 months to come in after I ordered it. I also got the 4" ported barrel with it, money well spent in my book.

jocko
11-24-2009, 06:26 AM
yup ur right, have no idea how I figured my price difference out. thanks. . One does not see elite's sitting on dealer shelves and for 77 bucks difference, it is well worth hat..

Mdubtech
12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Well here is an interesting note. I ordered the K40 elite trigger from Kahr I received a nicely polished trigger that was visually different from the original. On the reciept the part number was 009k9e and said.. Trigger K9 elite...
So I wonder if this is a NYPD trigger after all?
without the freeplay the pull length is 1/2" which is consistent with what has been stated here about that. This is for sure better than the original at 5/8".