PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me determine what I just bought?

MisterB
05-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Buds had a used one for a decent price. I've wanted one for a while, but after paying, I started to do more research, and now I'm confused what I will be receiving. First, they call it a 1927, but isn't this a TM1 or TM2? The model number they list of IUAUT51616 doesn't correspond to anything I can find online. Also, I see they make a steel version and an aluminum. Had no idea. I'm hoping this is the steel version?

Any help you can give would be great

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_775/products_id/719006681

CJB
05-29-2016, 10:05 AM
You might wish its aluminum after you shoot the steel one......

The Tommy Gun is so heavy, that in full auto, it does not rise, but "floats" on its own recoil. Single shot? Oh hell, they're heavy mo'fo's. REALLY heavy..... all forward too.

I shot an old friends WWII vintage Title II 1927, many times, and it was a gas. He had sticks, and one drum. Thing would cycle damn near anything we stuck in the magazines too. The trick to the Tommy is a good mag, I've been told. Dunno the truth to that

Longitude Zero
05-29-2016, 11:06 AM
The trick to the Tommy is a good mag, I've been told. Dunno the truth to that

That is the truth to ALL semi-autos. The magazine is the heart, and soul of the firearm. Fired a few Tommys. Semi and Select Fire. Select Fire method I was shown was to place you off gun hand on the top of the receiver just behind the barrel to HOLD IT DOWN. This gun will rise crazy quick on full auto. It is far easier to load the drum than the sticks.

Bawanna
05-29-2016, 11:12 AM
It looks like it might be a 1927 M1. I've never seen a Thompson without a fluted barrel but I found one just now on gunbroker that looks very similar. Says it's new in box so it's probably a recent deal.
The auto ordnance website doesn't even list the 1927 for some reason.

I couldn't locate anything that told me if it was aluminum or steel.

CJB nailed it. This things weigh a ton, even the aluminum ones are heavy. The bolt alone has to be 3 or 4 pounds. And I agree the magazine is generally the root of most malfunctions.
GhostSoldier is my go to guy for Tommy Gun stuff, he don't post much of late but might still check occasionally.
I modified my mag catch so I could use standard WWII mags without modification.
The newer Tommy's for some reason they elongate the catch hole in the mag. I have no idea why they do that.

There seem to still be a lot of WWII mags out there, must have been a ton of them made. Nobody has made aftermarket mags that I'm aware of and there's still mags out there.

Even brand new Thompson's come with WWII mags. Weird huh?

If you just shoot occasionally the aluminum might be ok, if you shoot a lot, definitely stick with the steel.

Get back to us when you get that thing, might be a learning experience for all of us.

MisterB
05-29-2016, 05:03 PM
You might wish its aluminum after you shoot the steel one......

The Tommy Gun is so heavy, that in full auto, it does not rise, but "floats" on its own recoil. Single shot? Oh hell, they're heavy mo'fo's. REALLY heavy..... all forward too.

I shot an old friends WWII vintage Title II 1927, many times, and it was a gas. He had sticks, and one drum. Thing would cycle damn near anything we stuck in the magazines too. The trick to the Tommy is a good mag, I've been told. Dunno the truth to that

Sounds like there are pros and cons both ways. Personally, I'd still like steel, even if it's heavy as hell. I'd like the nostalgia and the durability

MisterB
05-29-2016, 05:05 PM
It looks like it might be a 1927 M1. I've never seen a Thompson without a fluted barrel but I found one just now on gunbroker that looks very similar. Says it's new in box so it's probably a recent deal.
The auto ordnance website doesn't even list the 1927 for some reason.

I couldn't locate anything that told me if it was aluminum or steel.

CJB nailed it. This things weigh a ton, even the aluminum ones are heavy. The bolt alone has to be 3 or 4 pounds. And I agree the magazine is generally the root of most malfunctions.
GhostSoldier is my go to guy for Tommy Gun stuff, he don't post much of late but might still check occasionally.
I modified my mag catch so I could use standard WWII mags without modification.
The newer Tommy's for some reason they elongate the catch hole in the mag. I have no idea why they do that.

There seem to still be a lot of WWII mags out there, must have been a ton of them made. Nobody has made aftermarket mags that I'm aware of and there's still mags out there.

Even brand new Thompson's come with WWII mags. Weird huh?

If you just shoot occasionally the aluminum might be ok, if you shoot a lot, definitely stick with the steel.

Get back to us when you get that thing, might be a learning experience for all of us.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of a 1927 M1. . Is it an older model or something? Do you know if there are any differences?

That's definitely weird about the mags. Why do I hear of guys modifying USG mags to fit, if that's the case?

Bawanna
05-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I've never heard of a 1927 M1. . Is it an older model or something? Do you know if there are any differences?

That's definitely weird about the mags. Why do I hear of guys modifying USG mags to fit, if that's the case?

The 1927M1 I found said new in box so I assume it can't be too old. I couldn't find anything that said if it was steel or aluminum.

All the new modern Auto Ordnance/Kahrs have to have the magazine modified to work. I have no idea why they did it this way.

The stick that comes with the gun will already be modified.

Since there isn't an unlimited number of GI mags out there I hated to modify them. I guess they can be welded back up to work in a GI gun but probably not a great solution.

This way when I get a chance to order mags they just work and I don't have to mess with them.
I don't shoot mine very often but it's a hoot when I do. Mine takes the stick or the drum, something I also couldn't find out about on the M1. I don't think it will accept the drum but I'm not even sure why I think that.

They are HEAVY. The movies make em look like about 2 pounds but such is not the case.

MisterB
05-29-2016, 09:18 PM
The 1927M1 I found said new in box so I assume it can't be too old. I couldn't find anything that said if it was steel or aluminum.

All the new modern Auto Ordnance/Kahrs have to have the magazine modified to work. I have no idea why they did it this way.

The stick that comes with the gun will already be modified.

Since there isn't an unlimited number of GI mags out there I hated to modify them. I guess they can be welded back up to work in a GI gun but probably not a great solution.

This way when I get a chance to order mags they just work and I don't have to mess with them.
I don't shoot mine very often but it's a hoot when I do. Mine takes the stick or the drum, something I also couldn't find out about on the M1. I don't think it will accept the drum but I'm not even sure why I think that.

They are HEAVY. The movies make em look like about 2 pounds but such is not the case.

Thanks. That's strange regarding the magazines, but great to know.

Also, when you said fluted barrel earlier, are you referring to the horizontal ribs on some models vs the smooth barrel? The ones I've seen with the ribs are usually the A1 model, that has the front finger groove stock

I've heard in the movies they use rubber versions, and then switch to a blank firing one for close up camera angles. Hollywood ;)

CJB
05-29-2016, 10:09 PM
This gun will rise crazy quick on full auto. It is far easier to load the drum than the sticks.

My experience with the Tommy was such that you could damn near control it with one hand, once a full auto burst was in progress. Literally, that heavy ass son-of-a-B would seem like it was floating, absolutely no hold down needed. I had a MAC-11/.380 that had 32 round mags (that you could load with 30 for dependability). It rose up bad, and the hand strap was needed when releasing things in full auto. Ah that little gem funded a wing on my house.... got it for half a grand with all the goodies - stock, barrel extensions, strap, sling, and a fake can..... sold it for... well... a rediculously profitable amount, enough to signifcantly fund my house!