PDA

View Full Version : .38 Super?

Centaur
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Or as some call it the Super .38... Think there would be enough demand for AO/Kahr to make a run? I saw where Springfield has one in the basic blued type GI platform. That's in a catalog though. Never seen one in a shop or a show. An old army buddy has a stock stainless Colt Series 80 and it is accurate and fast. :rolleyes:

Bawanna
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Or as some call it the Super .38... Think there would be enough demand for AO/Kahr to make a run? I saw where Springfield has one in the basic blued type GI platform. That's in a catalog though. Never seen one in a shop or a show. An old army buddy has a stock stainless Colt Series 80 and it is accurate and fast. :rolleyes:

Certainly worth adding to the wish list but I don't think it's gonna happen. Hope for your sake I'm wrong and if I am I'll take one too but I don't think I am. We'll put this #2 right after the K45 many are dreaming of. Course a K45 would open the doors to a 38 Super in a big way.

jocko
08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Certainly worth adding to the wish list but I don't think it's gonna happen. Hope for your sake I'm wrong and if I am I'll take one too but I don't think I am. We'll put this #2 right after the K45 many are dreaming of. Course a K45 would open the doors to a 38 Super in a big way.

chance of Charlie Rangle runinig for president and winning, IMO and his running mate being Waters.....

jlottmc
08-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Thing is there are several 1911 makers who make a 38 super, they are very popular with the folks south of our border (can't have military calibers and all (those that are legal any way)). I would love to get my hands on a 38 super with a full size 5" bbl, and a commander length bbl as well. Great round, and fun to shoot as well. I would also like to see a renewed interest in that round...

jocko
08-07-2010, 01:30 PM
bet 38 super ammo is not cheap, nor hardly available in much variation either....

jlottmc
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Hence the reason I wanted to see an upturn in popularity again...

rayb
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I recently bought a Rock Island 38 Super. The third round, first magazine, I had to bump the slide closed with my other hand. Same thing on the 3rd magazine. Those were the only two problems encountered the first range session; there have been none since. Feed, fire and function have been excellent since. I like it very much.

I'd neither owned nor shot a Super before, now I'm looking for a Commander sized version.

rayb

Chuck54
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Why not ask for the 9X23 Win ?

Yup I'll take a K45

Longitude Zero
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Own a 38Super 1911 Style. The round is very finicky and unforgiving. Once you get a gun set up for it then great but getting to that point can be aggravating. Good luck on finding commercially loaded rounds at a reasonable cost.

steve666
12-07-2010, 05:40 AM
I've always thought it would be an interesting caliber if there were some ammo choices for it but the way it is... no way.

johnh
12-07-2010, 06:41 AM
I have had quite a few pistols chambered in .38 Super over the years. Never had a problem with them running commercial ammo or reloads, save for a Colt Commander in the 80s that did not like JHPs. I reloaded Super quite a bit on my Dillon 550. I found it a very easy round to load. You can get some impressive velocities without excessive recoil. The Witness's I had ran .38 Super or 9x23 without issue, and I loaded 9x23 using the same dies as Super. I have been missing the round lately. A 1911 so chambered would be nice, preferably in the Magnum Research line as I am not a fan of GI pattern 1911s. I know, sacrilegious, but I would just end up adding back in the stuff the MRI ones come with.

So yes, I vote for Kahr to make a .38 Super. While they are at it, do the 10mm as well. That is my favorite pistol cartridge, slightly nudging out the 45. :D

John

rayb
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Chuck54;44011]Why not ask for the 9X23 Win ?....QUOTE]

Well, because I bought a set of 38 S&W dies, and the sizing die for the 38 S&W is a 38 super die which doubles for both cartridges. I also found 2 boxes of 38 Super ammo way in the back of a local lumber yard display for $9.95 each.

How's that for gun buying logic? :D This was NOT the first time I've bought a gun to go with a few rounds of ammo or some other accessory I'd picked up.

rayb

Bawanna
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Chuck54;44011]Why not ask for the 9X23 Win ?....QUOTE]

Well, because I bought a set of 38 S&W dies, and the sizing die for the 38 S&W is a 38 super die which doubles for both cartridges. I also found 2 boxes of 38 Super ammo way in the back of a local lumber yard display for $9.95 each.

How's that for gun buying logic? :D This was NOT the first time I've bought a gun to go with a few rounds of ammo or some other accessory I'd picked up.

rayb

Makes perfect sense to me and I've done that several times. Honey I have this beautiful holster for a gun I don't have but really really want.

I've even made some grips for guns that other guys wanted and had them show their wifes. Works once in awhile.