PDA

View Full Version : CT9 vs other models

Tobinator
07-01-2016, 12:25 AM
How's the felt recoil on the CT9 compared to other Kahrs? The ones I've shot so far are, in order of worst to best recoil, are the CW9 (ouch), K9 (not bad), and P380/CT380 (easy). I know it'll be more recoil than the .380 models but I'm wondering how it compares to the other 9mm ones.

I'm really liking my CT380 now that I'm halfway thru break-in and seem to be working out the knots... Tempted to order a CT9 too. 9mm is a challenge for me so far. I beat up my thumb pretty bad on my first two range trips with a Glock 26, so I'm finding the recoil uncomfortable physically and mentally, but I want to start getting used to 9mm at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmkahrshooter
07-01-2016, 05:02 AM
I purchased a CT9 about 2 months ago. I have not had one issue with it. Because of the longer barrel I feel it has great accuracy and recoil has not been a problem with me. I am sure with a little practice and time you will love the CT9. My gun worked with all types of ammo and brands from the first day. I am really happy with my purchase. By the way I work for LGS and handle a few guns everyday. CT9 has not been a great seller at our store but I believe it is a well kept secret. I sold a G26 to purchase this gun and I carry it everyday. Hope this helps.

Tobinator
07-01-2016, 09:53 AM
I purchased a CT9 about 2 months ago. I have not had one issue with it. Because of the longer barrel I feel it has great accuracy and recoil has not been a problem with me. I am sure with a little practice and time you will love the CT9. My gun worked with all types of ammo and brands from the first day. I am really happy with my purchase. By the way I work for LGS and handle a few guns everyday. CT9 has not been a great seller at our store but I believe it is a well kept secret. I sold a G26 to purchase this gun and I carry it everyday. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm guessing there's less felt recoil than the G26?

kwh
07-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Hand size probably has a lot to do with perceived recoil. For me, all my Kahr"s: CW380, CM9, CW9, and CW45, are all "pleasant" to shoot. My Son can not tolerate more than 1 magazine from any of them without pain in the web of his hand. He has no problems with Ruger LC9 or SR9 compact. Neither of us do Glocks.

Tobinator
07-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Hand size probably has a lot to do with perceived recoil. For me, all my Kahr"s: CW380, CM9, CW9, and CW45, are all "pleasant" to shoot. My Son can not tolerate more than 1 magazine from any of them without pain in the web of his hand. He has no problems with Ruger LC9 or SR9 compact. Neither of us do Glocks.

Interesting. I could shoot the Kahr 380s all day but the Ruger SR9, to me, kicked like a mule. Funny how subjective it all is. I'm hoping I get less sensitive to recoil as I get more practice.

items
07-25-2016, 03:28 PM
I can attest to the feeling of shooting a CW45 but haven't shot the CT9. I fondled both a CW9 and CW45 in the LGS and decided to go with more punch from a .45 over the 9mm as the size difference was minimal. The CW45 is a pleasure to shoot so I'd guess that the larger grip on the CT9 combined with the 9mm rounds would make it even easier to shoot. I have heard that the .45 round has more of a slow push back feel than the more snappy 9mm but aren't sure if that's true or not. I kind of have buyers remorse when I have to plunk down the extra cost of .45 ammo vs 9mm...
I do have a CT380 and will absolutely state that it's SO much easier to shoot than the Ruger LCP 380 that I sold after finding it to be really hard on the hand and wrist and nowhere near the accuracy that I was looking for - and found in the CT380.

Tobinator
07-26-2016, 12:17 AM
I can attest to the feeling of shooting a CW45 but haven't shot the CT9. I fondled both a CW9 and CW45 in the LGS and decided to go with more punch from a .45 over the 9mm as the size difference was minimal. The CW45 is a pleasure to shoot so I'd guess that the larger grip on the CT9 combined with the 9mm rounds would make it even easier to shoot. I have heard that the .45 round has more of a slow push back feel than the more snappy 9mm but aren't sure if that's true or not. I kind of have buyers remorse when I have to plunk down the extra cost of .45 ammo vs 9mm...
I do have a CT380 and will absolutely state that it's SO much easier to shoot than the Ruger LCP 380 that I sold after finding it to be really hard on the hand and wrist and nowhere near the accuracy that I was looking for - and found in the CT380.

I'm liking my CT380 a lot now that I've gotten thru the break-in. I've had people ask what I'm shooting and then be very surprised that a 380 is that accurate.

wb4tjh
09-03-2016, 09:09 AM
I've owned several dozen different semi-auto pistols, and recently bought a new CT-9. For the money, I think it's the best buy out there and I'm very pleased with the gun. It has been 100% reliable since the first shot. I love the smooth trigger and simple operation. It's a lot like my beloved Smith revolvers....pick it up, aim, and just shoot with nothing other than that required. This gun is a real winner. Thanks, Kahr!

Slvrbak
10-14-2016, 09:35 AM
How's the felt recoil on the CT9 compared to other Kahrs? The ones I've shot so far are, in order of worst to best recoil, are the CW9 (ouch), K9 (not bad), and P380/CT380 (easy). I know it'll be more recoil than the .380 models but I'm wondering how it compares to the other 9mm ones.

I'm really liking my CT380 now that I'm halfway thru break-in and seem to be working out the knots... Tempted to order a CT9 too. 9mm is a challenge for me so far. I beat up my thumb pretty bad on my first two range trips with a Glock 26, so I'm finding the recoil uncomfortable physically and mentally, but I want to start getting used to 9mm at some point.

Interesting that your thumb was affected. It might be your hand size or grip. The 26 is a soft shooting 9.

Bawanna
10-14-2016, 11:01 AM
If recoil/muzzle flip bother you size and weight are your friend.
The size gives you more to hang onto and the weight soaks up some of the flip.
The CT is the biggest size wise in the polymer line up. If the recoil bothers you, the only thing better in a Kahr would be the T9 all steel. That would be my choice if I was to get a 9.

I agree with items mentioned theory that the 45 is more of a push. I find the report of the 9 just obnoxious, a big crack versus a boom of the 45. The flip or recoil is quick and sharp. I'm not bothered by the recoil of any 9 I've shot but just don't care for the crack.
The 40 in small compact guns is even worse to me. I like 40 in a full size but not in a compact.

Interesting related story. I went to a Winchester Ammunition seminar a few years ago. They bring out a big trailer and they shoot different calibers and brands through gelatin and then measure penetration, expansion and all that stuff.
This happened at the local prison range and they had a table set up for a couple of prison employees doing the shooting.

They had a woman shooting the 9 and the 40 (I think they were Glocks but don't remember for sure) and then a guy shooting the 45.
This lasted several hours and I was right up next to the shooters. Most attendees didn't act like they really cared and were just hanging out. I and a few others were more actively involved.

Anyhow at some point, don't recall what set it off I asked the lady why she was shooting the 9 and 40 and not the 45?
She said she could handle the 9 and 40 well but the 45 was too much for her. As it turns out she was a victim of rumors or something and had never actually fired a 45. I'm proud to say I changed that for her that day.

She said the 45 was much more comfortable to shoot than the 40 and didn't have an issue with it at all.
I even got a hug out of the deal.

I was somewhat the same way, my dad raised me to believe a 12 ga shotgun was the worst punishment a firearm could inflict on a human being. I refused to shoot one under any circumstances until I was enlightened by a friend and of course I got no issues with them at all now.

Landric
10-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I went to the range with my oldest sister last week. She is about 5'2 and might go 105 soaking wet. Of the guns I brought along she liked the TP9 the best. Two guns I had with me were "traditional ladies guns", the Glock 42 and the Shield 9mm. She didn't like either, not enough grip. She did very well with the TP9.

I think the various T series Kahrs are a lot more user friendly than their smaller counterparts.

Slvrbak
10-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Interesting that your thumb was affected. It might be your hand size or grip. The 26 is a soft shooting 9.
After shooting the ct9 I see why it affected your thumb. For some reason my thumb rests in the slide release and it is aggressive and irritates my thumb. I just have to adjust thumb placement. Funny it doesn't happen with t h e cm9

Slvrbak
10-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Yep my girlfriend like the ct9 most of all. I am partial to the two fingers grip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

nmkahrshooter
10-28-2016, 06:21 AM
Until you are mentally ready to shoot the 9mm, I would not purchase one. 9mm is not a hard shooting round in any gun.

AIRret
10-28-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm a small framed woman, 5'5" and 112, and this is my personal take on recoil
For me the 40 has too much muzzles flip, which makes it harder to get back on target quickly.
The 9 is no issue
The 45 isn't bad because the recoil come back into my hand instead of flipping up a lot.
My little 357, I just love shooting it. I don't care about the recoil, I just like the big bang.
The 380, I don't own one, for self defense I like the greater power of the other calibers. For those who are recoil sensitive I wish they would make larger 380's hand guns.
Recoil sensitivity is a very individual matter.
I agree with Bawana, people often think the 45 has more recoil than the 40. Heck, years ago I was one of them.
My softest shooting guns are my 9mm 1986 (German) sig. and my CZ sp01 tactical. That being said I love my pm9 and my TP45.

berettabone
10-28-2016, 09:16 AM
I prefer the .40 round over all others, and understand other's feelings on the caliber. I believe it depends a lot on what you shoot the round out of...............when I shoot .357 out of my wife's revolver, it feels similar to .40 cal., even a bit more recoil.