PDA

View Full Version : K-40?

rpc
08-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Found a used k-40 slide is polished, frame is dull. Salesman says it looks different and feels lighter than his k-9. No others in store to compare with. Serial#DB1166.Any information would be helpful thanks.

jlottmc
08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/207-kahr-serial-number-history-wig19-glocktalk.html That should help a bit. As for the difference in the slide polishing... that could be a number of things.

jocko
08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Found a used k-40 slide is polished, frame is dull. Salesman says it looks different and feels lighter than his k-9. No others in store to compare with. Serial#DB1166.Any information would be helpful thanks.

me like around June of 1997, more than likely it could be a nickle plated slide to... Nickel plated over carbon steel, not stainless....

jlottmc
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Perhaps the salesman has an older Kahr like that, as stainless is lighter than nickeled carbon steel.

rpc
08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
What Jocko said about nickel plated makes sense. The nightsights are dim but useable by tru-glo. There asking 525 dollars for it. How does nickel hold up compared to stainles steel? This gun has what looks like small pit mark

jocko
08-08-2010, 05:02 PM
OK, here is my take on this: DON'T BUY IT. $525 for a 13 year old out of date gun and out of warranty gun is way way to much. I would bet you can find new a K40 of todays vintage for $600 and under, if u start looking. I can assure u, that you have no warranty and one trip back to kahr on your dime both ways plus $60+ hour service plus parts will eat up $200in a heart beat. A new K40 will come with the spare magazine to, which is $40 , you did not mention if this used gun comes with it...

All stainless K40 is just one awesome handgun, go with the latest model, get the 5 year warranty. That to me is worth a $100 just for peace of mind. The night sights are about gone, so basicaly you have no night sights, but a new K40 with night sights already on it. Don't buy some one else possable troubles. Hellit could also be the finest shooting k40 ever made and the most reliable BUT do you want to gamble on that with zero warranty. I would not..

unless you have a true desire to own a 40 cal, I would also advise shooting a 40 cal kahr if you can rent one etc. They have alot of recoil the 40 cals . Not to talk you out of it either but maybe consider the K9 kahr, This is a gun you can shoot until the cows come home, fun gun to shoot, very pleasant to the shooter, ammo is far cheaper and more available, Price will be the same. More K9's flaoting around out ther e used though the K40.

good luck. I am just trying to give you something to think about. I certainly an't knocking a K40 but I would buy new for sure...

A good nickel coated gun will look super, but an all stainless one IMO trumps any nickel gun. Kahrs IMO were never show guns, but super duper defense guns..

jlottmc
08-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm 180 from jocko on this. I bought my P45 used, and never looked back. As for the nickle job holding up, there are fine examples of nickle plated pistols from the days that we refer to as the Wild West, many are still in great shape. Take care of the gun and it will serve you well. If however you have one doubt what so ever, don't buy it, if you have peddle it. Stainless will rust too, as for the warranty, I do my own work on a gun, but that long ago was a lifetime warranty... The 40 is a bit snappier, because it develops it's energy faster than the 45, personally, I say if you like the idea of a 40, then get used to it. I also say shoot it, shoot it more, rinse and repeat.

jocko
08-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm 180 from jocko on this. I bought my P45 used, and never looked back. As for the nickle job holding up, there are fine examples of nickle plated pistols from the days that we refer to as the Wild West, many are still in great shape. Take care of the gun and it will serve you well. If however you have one doubt what so ever, don't buy it, if you have peddle it. Stainless will rust too, as for the warranty, I do my own work on a gun, but that long ago was a lifetime warranty... The 40 is a bit snappier, because it develops it's energy faster than the 45, personally, I say if you like the idea of a 40, then get used to it. I also say shoot it, shoot it more, rinse and repeat.

me big difference between the date of your used P45 and this 13 years old kahr. Life time warranty as u know only relates to the original owner. I have no doubt kahr would charge to fix this 13 year old gun. Nothing wrong with "good" nickel but I do think I read it had a pit or two on the gun. give me stainless for durability any day. My contention is that this gun is way way over priced,

rpc
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the information everybody. Jocko I always like the great info you have. I think your right about price considering age&condition. Being the proud owner of a CW-9 and P-9 I thought I go to steel in a 40 .

jlottmc
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd really have to see this thing between my hands before I'd go for it. I see now where the pit was mentioned.

jocko
08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
If I was going to go for a 40 cal in a kahr (which i won't) I wold lean towards the all steel version. You just don't hear the recoil complaints on the all steel kahr 40 cal. as one does with the polymer kahrs... Lets face it the 40 cal is one hot caliber, ever notice you don't see +P in 40 cal ammo. Hell it's hot right out of the box and a PM40 kahr or P40 kahr as light as theya re would be for many a handful. I would also if possble want to rent or try my buddies 40 cal kahr out before buyiing one to. be it polymer or steel..

Course for me it is very soveable PORT THE SUCKER.

jocko
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd really have to see this thing between my hands before I'd go for it. I see now where the pit was mentioned.

to that. Hell as I stated that 13 year old K40 might be the most reliable, the most accurate handgun one ever owned. We don't know that. If the price was around $375 I might consider it (might, but for me I am not a 40 cal fan) but I just feel this price is way way out of line. I like the dlc finish kahrs better than any finsih they offer but IMO you can't beat stainless.

Shinny Nickel belongs on Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone rangers six shooters. and oh lets not forget Gene and Roy:music:

Now Rambo wants um the same color as his big fu--ing knife. Damn I watched his movie yesterday it was titled 2 something, anyway, he sure gets alot of money for saying maybe 10 words the entire time. and wow I have been a bowhunter all my life and he just pops up out of water and bingo an arrow in the chest at 50 yards. No doubt he's the man... I thought I seen one of those rambo knives in harbor Freight yesterday for $5.99..

MikeyKahr
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
New K40 (standard sights) at Bud's - $715 with free shipping (add applicable transfer fee)
Kahr Arms K-40 .40SW 3.5" Stainless $715.00 SHIPS FREE (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27400)

New K9 (standard sights) at Bud's - $682 with free shipping (add applicable transfer fee)
Kahr Arms K-9 9mm 3.5" Stainless $682.00 SHIPS FREE (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27370)

New K9 (night sights) at Bud's - $778 with free shipping (add applicable transfer fee)
Kahr Arms K-9 9mm 3.5" Stainless Night Sights $778.00 SHIPS FREE (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27371)