PDA

View Full Version : nothing to report range report

REACT
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
1996 K9 + 100 rounds = 100 bangs and 100 holes

it still works

wyntrout
08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Very good. That's all you can ask of a gun... that and accuracy. Mine's a '97... maybe... I got it new in March of '97. I think the design's the same, but mine's stainless. I like SS and not having to worry about fingerprints and rust, especially here in Florida. We live within about 150 yards of the river with brackish water and the air or wind carries the corrosive salt up here. I have to use stainless screws for fencing because the galvanized ones only last a few years.
The only problem I ever had was the tight chamber. I ran into a few brands of ammo that wouldn't chamber. I don't think that I've fired 1000 rounds, yet. I've put more rounds through my more recent Kahrs.
In any case I just sent the K9 slide to Trijicon to get re-lamped. The night sights were noticeably weaker after 13 years with the half-life of 12 years or so for the Tritium gas. It's harder to acquire the sights in the dark.
The K9 is the best "feeling" gun I've ever held. I don't remember if yours has the rubber wrap-around-the-rear grips or not. I couldn't imagine improving on mine. It's a natural pointer.
I hope Kahr makes a K45. it's a super gun... the K series.
Wynn:D

REACT
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Wynn,

I bought this K9 late last year, so I have not had it for its whole life. However, it looked new and never fired when I bought it "used." It currently has the rubber Hogue grips on it although I want to try a set of smooth wood grips (http://kahrtalk.com/wanted-buy/2940-wtb-smooth-k9-wood-grips.html). The rubber grips are great for shooting, but they keep holding up my cover shirt while I'm carrying it and I am constantly readjusting. I tried the checkered wood grips, but they rubbed me raw as I carried it.

Anyway, the K9 series sub-forum is a little slow since these things work every time. I just wanted to highlight that fact for any potential buyers.

recoilguy
08-13-2010, 01:38 PM
As far as the checkered wood grip rubbing you what kind of holster do you have? How do you wear it? Is it an IWB? I have a IWB holster that the grip used to rub me on and what I did was get a piece of upholstery leather about 5" square. The kind like you would use to cover a couch or to cover the skull ball on a antler mount.

I holstered the weapon and laid it on the rough side of the leather with the clip side of the holster up. then traced the handle and around the top seem on the holster. Super glued the piec to the holster so the smooth side was on my skin and I have never had a problem since. Easy cheap and it works.

RCG

REACT
08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
As far as the checkered wood grip rubbing you what kind of holster do you have? How do you wear it? Is it an IWB?

Initially, I tried a Tucker Leather Texas Heritage IWB holster (quality piece), but there were a few quirks that I personally didn't like about it, so I returned it and now I use a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. The rubbing problem is really not a holster issue as it is a Michelin Man issue. If I lost some weight, I could go back to using checkered grips.

I have a IWB holster that the grip used to rub me on and what I did was get a piece of upholstery leather about 5" square. The kind like you would use to cover a couch or to cover the skull ball on a antler mount.

I holstered the weapon and laid it on the rough side of the leather with the clip side of the holster up. then traced the handle and around the top seem on the holster. Super glued the piec to the holster so the smooth side was on my skin and I have never had a problem since. Easy cheap and it works.

RCG

...or I could buy smooth grips.

Warhammer
09-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I had a similar issue with the checkerd grips on my K40. To solve it, I just made my own holster with a full sweat shield.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP3308-1.jpg

REACT
09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice job. How does it feel?

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I had a similar issue with the checkerd grips on my K40. To solve it, I just made my own holster with a full sweat shield.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP3308-1.jpg

We must have a mirror image syndrome or something going on here. In the picture of you wearing it, it's on your left side. But this picture is clearly right handed. Maybe I got my glasses on backwards again.

Warhammer
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Nice job. How does it feel?

It feels great! I precontoured the Kydex instead of just leaving it flat like all the "professionals" do. I also sanded the rough side of the leather to make it smoother to the touch. The beveled, burnished and finished edges feel much better than unfinished edges found on most of the hybrid holsters. The biggest difference is having the full sweat shield that protects both the gun and my skin.

We must have a mirror image syndrome or something going on here. In the picture of you wearing it, it's on your left side. But this picture is clearly right handed. Maybe I got my glasses on backwards again.

LOL! The picture of me wearing it was taken by me, in a mirror. It's a right hand holster.

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
You know I went back and looked and looked at that shot in the mirror and for the life of me can't figure it out. Even a reverse image it's confusing. It's clearly on your left side, everything is backwards. Like one of them carnival deals you walk thru and come out wondering wtf.
All the pictures of it being made are clearly right hand. Well I'm glad your normal and right handed, one less thing for me to be feeling bad about.