PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Answer "Why Do You Carry a Gun?"

Dozer
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
There have not been many times that I have had to answer this question, but it has come up. My answer usually goes something like "It is my most important job to keep myself and my family safe, and this is the best tool that I have to do so." Sometimes I just say something about it being my job, and leave it at that (I am not a LEO). I have mostly gotten this question from family, but there was one time in a Walmart that I inadvertently let my shirt ride up too high and my gun was briefly exposed (that's when I said "it's my job" and left it at that). It was just a bit uncomfortable, for reasons I can't clearly define. New Mexico is an open carry state, so the fact that it was exposed was no big deal. Just wondering how others answer this question.

border bandit32
09-28-2009, 01:34 PM
"because I can't carry a COP"!!

500KV
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
"because I can't carry a COP"!!
That's a classic.

What's that old statement; I've seen it in people's sig. on various forums?
Something like *I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight anymore. A young guy will kick your a$$ but an old man will kill you*
LOL.:)

Dogman
09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
How about, because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps. :D

Dietrich
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
There have been several instances in my life when I found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time.Some of the places were Honkey Tonks in my youth and I have since learned to avoid them. However,two years ago I had a mugger pull a knife on me in a ******* Barrel parking lot and I had an event with a crazed druggie at a traffic light.Both were resolved without bloodshed thank God,but there wasn`t a cop anywhere near me either. I didn`t have my cc permit at the ******* Barrel but I did have a shotgun handy.The police can`t protect me from all the evil people in this world so I either have to be ready to protect my loved ones or let them be hurt. I`m not going to let any harm come to them as long as I have the breath of life in me. That`s why I carry a gun.I pray that I never have to use it.

ltxi
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I really like your "WalMart" response...good answer. My friends and family would never even think to ask the question. As to anyone else......well 500KV and Dogman just gave me two good additions to my limited repertoire of snappy comebacks. But, I honestly can't remember the last time that anyone who knows me has asked.

As to the slightly different question of "Are you carrying a gun?", I've found that "yeah" coupled with a "why are you asking" look works pretty well.

MisterAnderson
09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
...for the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.

Zippo Guy
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Because I can.

steve666
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Because I don't run, I carry a gun!:rolleyes:

Dietrich
09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah,I should have added this to my response. There`s only three people who know I carry a gun. The less people who know the better I like it.

.45mac.40
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
:D
Me ?
Haven't been asked by anyone except afew close family members.
I jokingly tell them, we might get "over runned" at the HEB, Wally World ..etc.
I have stated, that since I'm retired military... I just feel better about being armed, just in case... and for our protection. Seems to stop the topic and/or change the conversation.
Seems as though, there really isn't, that much concern. Some people just like to ask, but aren't that deep into tha' issue.
Who ? On an other BBS, stated: "Put it on, cover it up AND leave it alone !"
Mac

zena
10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
I was recently asked this question while out to dinner with old friends of my partner who had just "outed" me as carrying. (Why, I don't know. Later was informed this was my story to tell, if ever.) Being put on the spot with people I didn't know well, my answer was "Because I can." When I went on to say I felt it my responsibility to protect my family, GOD FORBID IT EVER CAME TO THAT, how guilty I would feel if I wasn't prepared to defend them and something bad happened, he just stopped me and wouldn't let me go on. Didn't want to hear it. Said we parted ways with that kind of thinking. I dropped it because he was obviously someone whose mind was closed......Don't expect any solutions from you guys. Just wanted to share a frustrating moment. Think next time I'll opt to stir the pot as opposed to trying to keep the peace with partners friends. I was never really asked by a hostile before.

1911fanatic
10-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Most of the time I tell people "It's my duty to carry a gun." and wait for a response. If I get one I know they are at least curious to here more.:33:

laker1
10-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Well, I am trained, criminally and mentally background checked, and government sanctioned to protect myself and family. In addition its been held in the Supreme Court that cops have no duty to protect the individual and anyway they get there after the crime. So,tell me where violent crime never happens and I won't need a gun. END OF Story!

Bigcube
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
How about "I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it"

Dozer
10-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I compiled a few of my favorite responses:

Answers to the question: “Why do you carry a gun?”

• Because I can't carry a COP!!
• I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick your ass, but an old man will kill you.
• Because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps.
• For the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
• I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
• Don't let your dying words be "Damn, I wish I had my gun.
• People tell me I should have seat belts, air bags, motorcycle helmets, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit, locks on my doors so I figure, what the heck, a gun couldn't hurt either.
• Because a cop is too heavy to carry?
• OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep him close by.
• When did Noah build the Ark? That’s right, before it rained.
• Doesn't everyone carry a gun?
• In case I need to shoot something… or someone.
• Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
• Cuz it ain't got no legs...
• Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and need to be put down!
• You know...because of the killer clowns.

ltxi
10-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok, second from last, the lame thingy, is my new most favorite.

zena
10-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I like "Doesn't everyone?" and "cuz it has no legs". Thanks for the humor!

Jazz
10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I told my city council before they banned the right to handguns in city parks that I carry because I won't let a criminal determine the time and place of my death or my family's death.

10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
This thread is pretty interesting. I have never been asked why I carry a gun. I guess it is because no one really knows when I carry. The few folks who may know it are usually carrying as well so they would not be asking that question. I do like some of the answers and will add them to my mental book of responses should I ever be asked.

johnh
10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
That is my approach as well. I have tried to keep the knowledge of my CCW limited, but there are so many people with them in this region that it can be challenging. Once I have discussed with a friend who has CCW, then they may mention it to someone else and sooner or later it is something people know. In general rural Missouri is so pro-gun that people do not really think anything about it. Most of my friends carry or plan to get their CCW when funds permit.

John

jimmer
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I respond with, do you watch the news?

dschubert
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Only my wife knows so I don't get asked...but I like some of these answers!

Cappy
10-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I tend to agree that I like it unknown by most. It is only those I shoot with really know. Michigan is a "open carry" state too, but Michigan has some rather odd laws on carry too. Like you can open carry in certain restricted places if you have a CPL and open carry, but it is illegal to conceal carry in those places or open carry if you don't have a CPL. Goofy!!

Colossal Uprising
11-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Love the carry a cop line and the fire extinguisher and seat belt line.

I might have to marry them together...

Because I can't carry a cop, and a seat belt does little against bad guys.

Bawanna
01-22-2010, 07:52 PM

• I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick your ass, but an old man will kill you.
• People tell me I should have seat belts, air bags, motorcycle helmets, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit, locks on my doors so I figure, what the heck, a gun couldn't hurt either.
• OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep him close by.
• Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and need to be put down!

Oh you guys are killing me. Cuz it ain't got no legs, killer clowns. My sides are ready to split.
I was rolling around our local county fair years ago (I'm stuck in a wheelchair so I mean literally rolling around). It was bloody hot and I knew I'd be there all day so I was carrying in a fanny pack which usually goes pretty much unnoticed on derelicts such as I. Anyhow a rookie deputy walked past and I don't hear well either but I thought I heard him speak, so I turned around and saw he was looking at me so I went back. He asked me if I was carrying a gun. Stupid me I started scanning for threats and said yeah, why is yours broke? Turns out they didn't allow guns on the grounds only during the fair. Any other time was fine. Hauled me to their little office where there were several other deputies and they told me to either leave it with them till I left or go lock it in my car. As soon as the rookie left they all laughed and handed it back to me. Didn't seem funny to me at the time. Now I'm a civilian employee for the city police and interact with the county guys from time to time. Now it's hilarious. Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive but stay alert and cash in of old age not bad guys.

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Almost similar to you, I got this from a gun seller, liked very much and will share with you guys to shed light in details about this issue:

WHY I CARRY A GUN...

My old grandpa said to me son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whooping!

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people; I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid; I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry, I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy; I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man, I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whooping!

..Author unknown

:86:

kahrs&cars
01-23-2010, 02:43 AM
+1 for up above. I was just getting ready to post this myself....good stuff!! I found this on the web long ago and saved it as well.

Honestly my most used answer is plain and simple.

I just say...."Because i refuse to be a victim and i'm to lazy to push Daisey's":behindsofa:

Everyone usually seems to pipe down after that:D

noslolo
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I have used "it's my constitutional right" when I know that they are antigun. I then follow it up by leaving, I will not let my self get caught in a no win argument with someone who is never going to change. Now if the person is not argumentative, then we can have an open conversation......because it has no legs:D You guys are killing me!

medezyner
02-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Great thread and now I have new material for witty replies. Too funny.
Because friends/fam know & understand my position, I only get: “are you carrying?” To that: “what do you think?” I immediately see them relax. It’s a good feeling knowing I did my job: they’re protected and it’s well concealed. You get so few “why’s” in NH…the safest state in the nation. Hmmm, I wonder why it’s so safe?
I did get a "why do you feel the need to hunt animals" from a friend’s vegan wife. I responded: “I enjoy the taste and health benefits of venison and the challenge of being a self sufficient caveman.” She thought about that, understood that I was connected with my food source and nodded. Situations are easier to diffuse when you’re dealing with open minds.

jocko
02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Owned a gun business for over 40 years, was armed robbed twice, Once with a Mossberg 12 gauge pointed at my chest, and the other with a 38 pointed at my chest. Lots of things goes through one's mind in that instant, and one for me, was to never be a victim again. I have carried for 48 years, probably will take it to my grave to, for I am not sure where I am going and want to be prepared!!!!

My best friends and harley riding buddies are LEO's. but the can't prtotect you, just ask um! They carry boxes of "crime scene" tape????

jeep45238
02-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I don't have to, and don't, justify it to people. Just learn to accept it or move on with life.

I DO rather like this statement though "the gun is civilization" as it describes what I have trouble saying.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

Choice is good.

Wynn:)

Raoul
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I quietly explain how several years ago in the process of doing my mundane job I walked into a house with a meth lab. Everyone is sympathetic after that.
Of course I do live in the patron state of shootin stuff.:yo:

cgo99
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
...for the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
I'm adding this one to me repertoire, very nice.

jocko
03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
carried for 48 years, NO ONE EVER KNEW I was carrying so therefore I have not ever had to answer that question. My best friends and Harley riding buddies do not know I carry. Why should they. Hell maybe one of my buddies wifes who rides with him would be paranoid about my carrying a gun etc and then problems arise sometimes.

I just shut up, say nothing, pocket carry 24/7. What you don't know certanly can't hurt you...

Little Dragon
03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I use a line similar to the "• Because I can't carry a COP!!". But I have always said "Cause I cant fit a Police Officer in my pocket!" But then again I live in Nevada and everyone in Nevada carries a gun, just ask the border patrol in Canada, if your car has Nevada plates they totally hound and search you!! LOL
Joe

OldLincoln
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
When asked if I think the Bad Guys are out to get me, I just reply "No, They are out to get everybody."

jlottmc
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
My answer is very similar to the seatbelts and fire extinguishers bit, but I add the fact that I consider it solemn duty to protect those who are weaker and unable to do for themselves. I guess I was raised to help the little guy shake the bully. If they don't like the honest and sincere (and most won't you can tell quickly) then my dull (dull like not sharp, not dull like put coffee to sleep) rapier wit comes out and they become fair game...

Tack
07-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Because I Can. And a SWAT TEAM won't fit in my holster like a 1911. It's not likely I'll dial 911, because 1911 has already arrived.

recoilguy
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Normally I say....man I hate all the tax that get put on rich people. I never have to mention my weapon again ....Always carry never tell.

joje
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
the few times i've been asked i've answered that i carry for the same reason i vote; because the best way to protect a civil right is to exercise it.

i like the "doesn't everyone?" answer though - may have to try that one next time :)

RagnarD
10-09-2010, 01:10 AM
While my CCW application just went into the mail today, I've already had one philosophical discussion with a close friend who's aware that I intend to start carrying. He's very sharp, somewhat reserved, but also leans a little further left than me. After I gave him the obvious self-defense and natural disaster oriented reasons he thought about it and said something like this...

"I guess I understand those, they're logical. But when I think about all the situations I've encountered in my life, I just can't think of any of them that would have been better if I had been armed... where I thought 'gee I wish I had a gun'."

To myself I thought... hmmm, me neither. As a debating point, I didn't have a good answer for him, and while it didn't change my mind, I kept running through the argument in my mind, trying to figure out the appropriate response. The next day it hit me, and I reminded him what he said and told him...

"I thought about it and I agree, I've never been in a situation where I really truly wished I had a gun either. But I think most people who have been in that situation and didn't have one, aren't with us anymore to tell us about it. And I refuse to be that person."

There was immediate recognition in his face as it clicked, and he just smiled and said "true... fair enough." I don't think he'll be carrying, or even buying a gun anytime soon, but I think he understands.

OldLincoln
10-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Now that I've had mine for a while, I say "When do you call 911? (They answer when there's a problem.) By the time they arrive the crime has been committed. Perhaps I can either deter the crime or change the outcome if I'm there and armed. It's like I have a circle of protection around me wherever I go. If we're together and something happens you will be glad for that. Think of this when reading or seeing a crime report on TV."

Most of my friends are pro-gun so it's only their relatives should one see my gun. Happened one time so far.

henshao
10-12-2010, 09:38 PM
So that I can take the first 7 guys with me.

f44life
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
my whole family things im silly to carry a gun including my fiance...i just tell them its an extra safety belt, i have it on but i hope i wont need to use it

Recycooler
12-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Because someone stole my tinfoil hat and when I find them I'm going to take it back ! ( then just stare at them )

Or "have you ever read the United States Constitution before?"

wyntrout
12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
A little levity:

Seems a guy cruises thru a stop sign and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his driver's license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit.

"Okay, Mr. Smith," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you got."

Smith says, "Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range...?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of...?"

"Not a damn thing..."

:D

Bawanna
12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Because someone stole my tinfoil hat and when I find them I'm going to take it back ! ( then just stare at them )

Or "have you ever read the United States Constitution before?"

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Tin Foil Hats rule!

jocko
12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
cool wyn, very cool

mr surveyor
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away

AFVet
12-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I have never had to answer this question because I don't even tell people that I have guns let alone the fact that I CCW. Outside of my wife, there are only 2 other people I can think of that know.

dusty10
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Gun? I don't even own any guns. That buldge is my cell phone holder.

OldLincoln
12-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Mine is my colostomy container, and my private medical condition is none of your business!!!!! Why are you harassing the handicapped??? Maybe I should call 911 and have you arrested for assault on me just because I'm handicapped!! Manager!!!! This person is harassing me because I'm handicapped!!! I want the police so I can file a complaint!!

Bawanna
12-13-2010, 07:29 PM
We prefer to be called physically challenged, at least thats the last PC correct word I heard we're supposed to like.

Personally I answer to pretty much anything and have been call alot worse things.

The bags a good idea though. Might use that in a pinch.

OldLincoln
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry if I offended you, not my intent. I do PC occasionally, but when screaming at somebody in the middle of a store the "H" word carries a lot of impact.

As for challenged, I used to tease my wife a lot in our younger years for being height challenged (5'2"). I'd remind her to be careful not to skin her knees on the curb, etc. Now that we're 44 years older it's not funny.

Actually another approach might be "Oh, you mean my colostomy container. Why, is it leaking again?" I'd think most people would run away at that one and no screaming.

Bawanna
12-13-2010, 11:09 PM
You'll have to try alot harder than that to offend this derelict. My skins tough as rice paper and I eat marshmellows for lunch.

garyb
12-14-2010, 06:50 AM
I keep it low key as well. My wife is uncomfortable around guns, even though she was FL State Women's Muzzle loader Champ for several years. Repeating arms make her nervous and it is merely because she is not as familiar as she is with the old smoke pole. She is aware I carry, but out of sight, out of mind. Not much is said about it. She knows why I carry and we both hope it won't ever be necessary.

Anyway, I keep it concealed and don't discuss it. It maintains the surprise factor, reduces challenges, keeps people from asking questions, and no one gets nervous because there is a loaded gun around them. It is simply the wise and best thing to do. Why make it an issue? It just asks for problems, questions, challenges, etc....

But it is nice to share thoughts and ideas with you folks.

LuckyGunner
12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't advertise that I carry, but I'm not bothered by friends knowing. Most of my friends know that I'm into firearms. So I normally get asked when can we hit up the range, etc.

On the rare occasion that I do get asked. I normally try to have them explain to me why I shouldn't carry a firearm. I try to use those opportunities to teach them a bit a history about firearms and the Constitution. The PC word for it is teachable moment.

smokey337
01-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I live in Texas and everybody carries in Texas. "An armed society is a friendly society!" Right after they passed concealed carry in TX a guy was attacked in Dallas by an unarmed 280 pound guy after they bumped in traffic. The big guy reached into the car, grabbed the guy around they neck and began pounding him in the face. The guy in the vehicle was a CCW holder and managed to pull his 9mm and put one into the guy killing him instantly. It was a big deal because it was the first case brought against a CCW holder. The result: The grand jury no-billed the CCW holder because there was no way for him to retreat. Since that event, TX has passed a Castle law and has also passed a law making your car the equivalent of your home. You can now carry in your vehicle without a permit. BTW crime has decreased significantly in TX since these laws were passed.

Why don't you ask your lib friends if they would allow you to place a sign on them stating that they are unarmed, don't believe in violence of any kind and will dial 911 if attacked.